Your pièce de résistance recipe for Gumbies...that all members should give a crack over the break!

El Presidente

It's a little involved but the results are worth it:

Spinach and Fetta stuffed chicken breast

3 Chicken Breasts, halved and pounded thin
8 oz Italian salad dressing
3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/8 tsp Pepper
1+1/2 cup Feta, crumbled
3/4 cup Sour Cream
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 bag Fresh Spinach, chopped
1 cup Mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup Seasoned bread crumbs
Spinach and Fetta stuffed chicken breast
Marinade chicken breasts in Italian dressing for at least one hour, overnight is fine too
Combine sour cream and feta in a large bowl and refrigerate
Cook mushrooms, garlic, and onions in a large frying pan, add spinach at end to wilt, refrigerate until cool and mix with the sour cream+fetta
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Combine breadcrumbs, thyme, and parmesan cheese in a mixing bowl
Roll chicken breast with large spoonful of filling, place in a baking dish.
Sprinkle top with breadcrumb mixture
Cook for 25 minutes uncovered (or until the filling is 165 degrees)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quail Marsala I make this regularly. Any Gumby can do it. One big flat pan (A Paella Pan works great). 5 gloops of olive oil....pour bottle....gloop....gloop...gloop...gloop..gloop. 4 cloves o

Beer Can Chicken Every man and his dog will have their own recipe for this old chestnut. This is an easy one to do without a smoker and you can use any store bought rub or make up your own concoctio

pièce de résistance recipe for Gumbies WINNERS! Pulled the FOH cap out again to draw this one. 10 winners... All receive a Diplomatico Bushido. And they are: SCHUBB DRGUANO KAM BUSDRIVER HABANA

Here is one of our favorites!

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Ingredients;

2 or 3 chicken breasts

8 oz cream cheese

hot sauce (any will do)

worchestire sauce 1 oz.

ranch or blue cheese dressing 1 cup

Mayo 1 cup

8oz mozzarella cheese

How to;

Boil Chicken untile done

shred chicken with fork

cobine all ingredients in a crock pot on high! use as much hot sauce as you can stand!

Go have a beer and a cigar

Stir dip in crock pot

REpeat beer and cigar

serve with either tortilla chips or celery!

Rob,

I can usually figure out Aussie terms through context. In this thread, for example, the meaning of "Gumbies" was somewhat apparent. And although I think I know what "dab hand" is likely to mean, I was curious about the etymology of "dab", so I dialed up the Australian Slang site on Google and was indelicately informed that "dab" in Australian refers to a crab louse. Discuss.

In Oz Vernacular cigar.gif

Gumby = uncoordinated/pretty useless/awkward

dab hand = pretty good at something.

• Like 1

Half-ass Ham Stew (originally "lazy-ass" but I like alliteration)

10 oz. cubed ham

2 cans baked beans

1 16 oz package of frozen vegetable medley, thawed

dried minced onion (I just dump a bit in until it looks right)

1 bag of Fritos

Dump the first four ingredients in a large skillet, stir and heat on medium low until bubbly. Serve in a bowl and crush a handful or more of Fritos on top.

My girlfriend loves this recipe on a rainy Saturday, plus it's filling, cheap and easy and not totally bad for a body.

There have been a few turkey recipes put up so far. This is mine. It's simple, delicious, and guaranteed to leave your family and friends begging for more.

HOLIDAY BRINED TURKEY

Ingredients:

1 Turkey (rinsed; neck and organs removed)

2 Cups Kosher Salt

2 Cups Sugar

1 Gallon Water

1 Gallon Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice

3 Bay Leaves

1/2 Cup Herb Mixture (equal parts Fresh Basil, Cloves, Cinnamon, Nutmeg) 1 Tablespoon Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

Lemon or Orange Slices

A Bulb of Crushed Garlic Cloves

1 Whole Stick of Unsalted Butter (salted would probably be fine)

1 Brining Bag (2 large turkey roasting bags will work)

1 Cooler sized slightly larger than the turkey

1 Turkey Roasting Pan

Brine:

Place a large stockpot on the stove over medium-high heat. Combine salt, sugar, water, bay leaves, herb mixture, black pepper, lemon/orange slices, and garlic in stockpot. Stir until sugar and salt dissolve. DO NOT LET BOIL. Remove stockpot from heat and let cool for at least 15 minutes.

While the brine is cooling, spread a layer of ice into the bottom of the cooler. Place the turkey, breast-side down, inside the brining bag. Place brining bag and turkey inside cooler. Pour cooled brine over turkey. Add orange juice to the brining bag. Add a few handfuls of ice to the bag to help further cool the brine. Seal the bag, making sure to let out as much air as possible. Add additional ice to cooler (it needs to stay at 40°F for duration of brining). Brine for 1 hour per pound of turkey. Do not over brine, or turkey will be salty.

Prep:

Preheat oven to 475°F. Remove turkey from brine and place in roasting pan. Pour brine down sink while straining off the herb/spice silt at the bottom of the bag. Melt stick of butter in microwave. Baste turkey skin with melted butter (this really helps with achieving the crispy brown effect). Spread strained herb/spice silt all over, and underneath, skin for extra flavor. Stuff turkey with lemon/orange slices.

Cook:

Place turkey on roasting pan, breast-side up, in oven. Cook at 475°F for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 250°F and continue cooking for 20 minutes per pound. When done, internal temperature of turkey will be 165°F. Let turkey rest at least 15 minutes before carving.

Spicy Salad with Marinated Chicken or Prawns and chapatti

This is one of the most simple yet tasty things I've ever eaten.

Finely chop some garlic, chilli and rind of half a lemon and combine with juice of 2-3 lemons and some salt and pepper to taste, this can be done well in advance.

Chop up chicken (if using prawns don't chop 'em up) how ever you want, just not too small and marinade with a curry sauce or paste of your choice.

Chop up tomatoes, lettuce, red onion, cucumber and bell peppers and chuck them in a bowl.

Grill chicken basting occasionally with left over sauce 'til cooked

Heat chapatti

Add chilli garlic sauce to salad, throw chicken on top, add a little sweet chilli sauce if you want, mix well and eat with hot chapatti.

• 3 weeks later...

Delicious Steak in 10 min!

Ingredients

1. Steak of your choice (I used Boneless Ribeye)
  2. Salt and Pepper
  3. Olive Oil and Sesame Seed Oil
Preparation:
  1. Preheat the oven to Broil.
  2. Pour olive oil on both sides of steak make sure entire steak is drenched
  3. Next Pour a splash of the Sesame seed oil (only need a very little amount maybe 1/4 tsp)
  4. I use my hands to rub it in on both sides
  5. Season the steaks very well on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Directions: (Time for the Marathon! Make sure you have a timer, oven mitts and tongs handy!)
  1. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over high heat until very hot.
  2. Poor Olive Oil in to cover entire skillet and wait until you see white smoke (This means the pan is hot and ready!)
Read set go! Set your timers!
  1. Add the steak(s) to the pan and sear on the first side for 2 minutes, than flip the steaks over to the other side and do the same for 2 minutes.
  2. Flip steak again and immediately transfer the skillet to the oven.
  3. Cook for 1 minute, take steak out and flip again to cook for another 1 minute.
  4. Remove the steaks from the skillets and set aside, let steaks rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Bread Dipping Sauce:
  1. If you have any bread or want to add bread to this meal the left over oils in the skillet makes great dipping sauce!

Forgot to pair it!

• I personally pair it with a nice merlot but some of my friends surprisingly pair it with a dry Australian Riesling .
  • My favorite steak to make (dry-aged) is very mellow, and it’s lost a lot of its tough fibers. It’s very tender. It also develop a minerality that really resonates with the smoky, slatey, earthiness in Rieslings from Australia, which are higher in alcohol. Alcohol creates body and a textural bridge between the steak and the wine.

post-28395-0-73301800-1451683328_thumb.j

• Like 1

This is a great read. I feel an FOH cookbook coming soon. I also love it when the chefs go 'off receipe' and we get a little personnel philosophy. I hope Kam did the right thing and proposed to that bird. Now where are my chilli shorts.

• Like 1

In the spirit of keeping it simple:

King Crab and Oysters a la Mignonette

Grab a couple of largish Alaskan king crab legs and a dozen oysters from the monger

Chill a nice Sancerre - any other off-dry Sauv Blanc would work as well.....

Throw together 2 T white vinegar, 1 t Balsamic vinegar, 1/2 a chopped shallot, touch of sea salt and a bit of ground black pepper

Fire up the Cohiba of your choice, a Siglo or Behike works particularly well

Shuck the oysters, slice the crab leg thighs lengthwise and lay on a plate of cracked ice.

Dip them in the mignonette or not....throw in some sliced lemon and cocktail sauce if you like. Garnish with parsley or watercress if you're feeling fancy.

Crackers on the side

Eat, drink, smoke and enjoy!

• Like 1

This is one that impressed my future wife:

Grilled Mahi Mahi with Mango and Papaya cream sauce.

Pretty simple stuff. First chop up a half of white onion and get it glazing in a pan of with copious amount of butter for a few minutes then add about two cups of red,yellow, orange ,and green peppers into small 1/2in by 1/2in chunks.Add some pepper ( if you can use Country Pepper see below for more info) and salt and curry (Country Curry preferred once again see below). Let them cook for a few minutes and add same amount (2 cups) 1/2in x 1/2in cubes of mangos and papya for all but 45 seconds to a minute or till they start getting soft it doesn't take long. Mean while lightly grill lightly grill a couple pieces of 1inch thick Mahi Mahi not to quick not to slow not to over done.

When mango mix is done remove from heat let cool a little and stir in some heavy cream and then scoop out over fish. I usually serve on a bed of basmati rice with a pinch of saffron added. Simple but tasty. I might be missing a few things but I don't think so. I haven't cooked it since I convinced her to marry me and we started having kids.

As for the Country Pepper and Curry. They are made by a small company in Rock Creek British Columbia called Canadianna Spicery just google country pepper rock creek and their website comes up. I haven't had to order for a while but standard procedure was place order and they will send it to you. When you get the spices and amount you then send them a cheque for the amount real friendly relaxed way of doing business. Don't know about international but if you can swing get the Country Pepper it is bloody amazing as is the curry and sea salt with tomato and basil. You wont be disapointed.

• Like 1

The Backpacking Halal Povo Pack

Im generally in wierd parts of the world where halal food is quite hard to come by, but there's always a supermarket near the hostel that has some basic necessities in most parts of the world. I can cook to the levels of a lot of the above recipes and they all look quite delicious but on the run i don't have the equipment or facilities to generally do that sort of stuff. A lot of the times i'm also in poverty mode contemplating selling myself on street corners for 2 dollars, but luckily never got that desperate. Most food places when you're on the go are pretty much fried foods etc and while i'm not exactly a health food nut, i don't like that sort of stuff all the time. My other problem is that im not a big bloke, not a big eater, and pretty much every meal at a restaurant is too much food for me. 1.5 appertisers is enough food for me for a sitting to give you an idea of portion sizes for me. Often i just grab supplies from the supermarket to make enough food for about 6 meals and works out cheap and to my simple tastes as well as nutritious.

Ingredients:

• Fresh bread loaf or fresh soft bun if there's no sliced stuff
  • Some sort of fish. Tinned tuna in brine is generally my favourite. If you have cooking facilities available to you, and can get good fresh fish fillets, then i have on occasion bought fresh and grilled myself. Sometimes if you're desperate you can just get tins of the preprepared flavoured tuna tins. Tomato and Herbs John West tuna is ok if you're desperate, but i like getting the tuna seperate then making whatever additions i want to it.
  • Tomato sauce of some sort. In Europe and Aus you get some good bottled pastas sauces, or tomato pesto sauces, a lot of things generally work well with tuna, and you can choose whatever you want to your tastes.
  • Some cheese. Depending on where you are you can get different things. In some places you can get good feta cheese. I like feta the most. Otherwise some nice deli cheddar is always good.
  • Other fillings. Again depending on where you are get a few different things. My favourites are Olives, sundried tomatoes, pickled garlic, gherkins or grilled peppers, mix of beans, hummus and other dip types pastes.
  • Optional. I know this sounds wierd, but crisps! Doritos, nacho cheese, or Ketlle Chilli or Red Rock Deli Thick Cut Sweet chilli and sour cream. Some of these in a sandwich are pretty good i find!

Now just make the sandwich. Im sure you can figure it out. I normally add the above ingredients minus the cheese if its slices and minus crisps, into a bowl and mix it all together. Then spread it out onto a slice of bread. I add the crisps on top of the tuna mix. Then add another slice of bread on top to complete the sandwich. You can eat it cold, but it's best served when you microwave it for about 30 seconds, then grill the sandwich on both sides on a hot pan until toasted to your liking.

This is simple, filling, nutritious, you can make to your own tastes, easy to eat at home or to pack for a lunch on the run.

Baked Meatball Parmigiana

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 pounds meatloaf mix (beef, pork, veal combo)
  • 4 cloves garlic-roughly chopped, not minced
  • a handful of chopped parsley
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (not grated) (sometimes I use grated asiago cheese)
  • 2 eggs
  • salt to taste
  • Sauce of your choice (approx two 24-oz jars)
  • Mozzarella cheese to top it off with!

Instructions:

1. Mix all of the above meatball ingredients and form your meatballs-not too large.
  2. Pour 1-2 Tablespoons oil on a baking stone or pan with sides and bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
  3. Lower oven to 375.
  4. Pour some sauce in the bottom of your dish(es). I used a ceramic dish or you could use one 9×13. Lay meatballs on top of the sauce.
  5. Puppy's favorite: Cover with more sauce and dress the top up with lots of mozzarella! It should be covered with cheese!!!
  6. Cover with foil and bake for 20 mins. (Sorry didn't take pics of this step!)
  7. Remove foil and bake an additional 20 mins or until meatballs are cooked through and cheese is browning. For the last 4 minutes I raised the oven temp to 400 to help the browning.

Enjoy!

post-21432-0-20000600-1451765594_thumb.j

post-21432-0-23956500-1451765627_thumb.j

post-21432-0-41748700-1451765683_thumb.j

post-21432-0-91755500-1451765706_thumb.j

post-21432-0-15501300-1451765739_thumb.j

post-21432-0-04202100-1451765771_thumb.j

• Like 4

Hot Pepper Cream Sauce

This is closely based on a recipe I found online...

Handful of hot peppers, stemmed and sliced

6-8 cloves of garlic

1 pint heavy cream

1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese

Butter & olive oil

Salt & pepper

6eee07a8127fe8115cb1b5cb2edbe0fc.jpg

I love Serrano peppers so I go with 4-6 of those, but this sauce works with any pepper of your choosing. Dial up or down the heat and pepper flavor as desired!

Coat your pan with olive oil and saute your peppers and garlic over a medium heat. Add the peppers first, then the garlic (don't burn it!), then a pat of butter towards the end. It will look like this:

a872e4ebc47031b2d27a92e3cf85b8ad.jpg

Dump in half the cream, stir and then puree the whole mixture in the blender. Return to the pan, add the remaining cream, and then dump in the cheese:

d8f0037ca279bdc893e086eb371bbb92.jpg

Simmer for a few minutes, it will thicken nicely. Salt and pepper to taste, you're done! 15 minutes or so.

This probably goes best simply with a sliced baguette for dipping, but I like it over pasta too. If you like rich cream sauces and spicy food, give this one a go, you won't be disappointed.

7d000c33eba7ddf75bc766b919e4c125.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sticky Fishy Mushy

First, catch your fish... This comes from my boy and me fishing and camping in the Lake District (UK national park, for the Yanks). We're both fans of spicy food and this is easy to do.

-A 2lb trout is the perfect size for this, freshly caught, gutted, wrapped in foil and chucked on the camp fire for 20 mins. Turn occasionally and don't burn your fingers.

-Strip off the flesh and put it in a pan or pot. Add chopped onions, peppers, wild garlic and wild sorrel if available, and fry up with chillies, garam masala, salt, pepper. Add chopped up tomatoes towards the end and then scoop it all into a tortilla wrap or naan bread.

Quantities (and ingredients) may vary according to what you've found or remembered to bring.

Drink - cold beer

Smoke - later, you won't taste it for an hour after eating!

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

• Like 1

RAMEN GOSH

2) 3oz. packs of Maruchen (or whatever brand available) Ramen Noodles, any flavor

3) eggs

About 5 oz. of cubed cut cheddar cheese squares (or a block of Cheddar cheese you can cube cut up yourself if you prefer)

3 or 4 Biscuits from Popeye's, KFC, or so - as long as they're BISCUITS - NOT rolls!

4 to 6 cloves of fresh garlic to cut up (or if you want to save your fingers from smelling that way for days - a small jar of minced or chopped Garlic, already done for you!)

A little Feta cheese and grated Parmesan Cheese to sprinkle liberally as directed.

*Boil 4 cups of water in preparation for your Ramen Noodles. Be sure to open the packs and remove the flavor packet - because you're going to beat and break up the noodles within the pack before pouring it into the boiling water.

*When you're ready to pour the noodles into the boiling water, cook for three (3) minutes, stirring occasionally. Then turn off the heat (you DON'T want to overcook the noodles) and put the seasoning pack contents into the mixture and stir.

*Then you'll have a bowl nearby with the 3 eggs already mixed up by fork, the cheese cubes, feta cheese, and about 3 full teaspoons of the minced garlic (or cut up cloves), and add that into the noodles after stirring in the seasoning. The heat should already be sufficient to have your eggs and cheeses and so on cooking and melting. Then crumble the biscuits into the concoction and stir everything up altogether. Then cover the pot with a lid and let it sit for awhile (15 to 20 min. at least), then serve. The grated Parmesan is for sprinkling across the top when you serve - and BTW, that is optional.

It's a fast, cheap dish that'll serve at least four hungry stomachs, or you alone for at least 2 to 3 days. Enjoy! happy.png

Ingredients:

• 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (not grated) (sometimes I use grated asiago cheese)
  • 2 eggs
  • salt to taste

Instructions:

1. Mix all of the above meatball ingredients and form your meatballs-not too large.
  2. Pour 1-2 Tablespoons oil on a baking stone or pan with sides and bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
  3. Lower oven to 375.
  4. Pour some sauce in the bottom of your dish(es). I used a ceramic dish or you could use one 9×13. Lay meatballs on top of the sauce.
  5. Puppy's favorite: Cover with more sauce and dress the top up with lots of mozzarella! It should be covered with cheese!!!
  7. Remove foil and bake an additional 20 mins or until meatballs are cooked through and cheese is browning. For the last 4 minutes I raised the oven temp to 400 to help the browning.

Enjoy!

Ingredients:

• 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • salt to taste

Instructions:

3. Lower oven to 375.

Enjoy!

Cute pup!

Great work, all! Out of curiosity, did anyone try any of the recipes over the Holidays?

*Yeah, my own!

• Like 2

I do these for my gf all the time and she absolutely loves it.

a) "Honey Mustard and Thyme Oven-Roasted Salmon" and cool.png Brie and Apple bites

RECIPE A

Need:

1 Large Salmon fillet skin on

1 Honey mustard

1 Thyme

Thinly sliced lemon circles

Half a lemon

Fresh Cracked Sea Salt

Fresh Cracked Pepper

Olive Oil

1 Oven Pan

1 xLarge Ziplock bag

Recipe

1) Preheat oven 380Deg C with pan inside that has a layer of aluminum foil on it. BE sure to coat the foil in a thin layer of olive oil

2) Rub Salmon fillet with salt, pepper, honey mustard and thyme - the thicker the cut, the more seasoning should be used; note - go easy with the Thyme

3) put olive oil, salt, and more pepper and squeeze half a lemon in a xLarge Ziplock bag and put the seasoned salmon in and add more honey mustard. make sure salmon is submerged in the oil mixture.

4) Put in fridge sealed for 20-30 mins

5) Pull out of fridge and put skin side down on hot oven pan ensuring there is a sear sound when you put it on

6) put 3-4 lemon slices on top of the salmon

7) Leave in oven for 20-25 minutes

8) Once cooked, let it rest in a tent for 5 mins. and Volia.

RECIPE cool.png

NEED:

Best crusty bread you can find. preferably french or artisan of some kind.

a Round of quality double or triple cream brie

Granny Smith Apples (Gotta be sour type apples)

(Optional_ Legendario Elixir de Cuba)

1. Slice bread in whatever style you like,

2. top each piece with 2 slices of thick brie

3. Top Brie with 2-3 thin slices of granny smith apples.

Best served cold.

OPTIONAL, drizzle each piece with a bit of legendario