Stinky Heartfelt beads

LutzSpearo

I've read others have experienced this. My beads are getting like this now too, and they are only 1-2 years old. Only charged them every six months or so, indirectly and with distilled water.

They are getting kind of like a sharp, sour-sweet smell. Not sure how to describe it best. Thinking of switching over to Bovedas.

Anyone else have this happen? Have they reached the end of their life span? Will it dork up my sticks?

Just a thought. We keep cigars in cedar, wrap them in cedar and they have a tendency to give off characteristics of cedar when we smoke them. Also guys air out their wineadors after applying silicone glue as not to allow cigars to pickup scent or flavor of the glue. So I guess why wouldn't a cigar pickup other characteristics of undesirable odors and why even take the chance?

I use my in a Wineador. They do smell like a mixture of cedar, cigars etc. I think it only makes sense that they do as that is the smell of the environment they are in. I am not worried about it through, I found no impact on the cigars (so far)

Most of my beads are 6 months old and in wineadors and a stray desktop humidor. Not stinky yet, but I have noticed that when I handle them at water recharge time my hands are left with a slightly sticky film, and I need to wash with soap and water. So I expect that they are naturally getting coated with airborne compounds including aromatics and perhaps oils -- which means getting "stinky" in the future is probably expected?

I used to use Boveda and while they work, they can get expensive. I use Heartfelt beads now and have the same issue you are having.

My beads are about 2 years old and they have just started to emit the same odor you are talking about. Now, I don't charge my beads per the instructions so it could be partially my fault. I just dunk the beads in distilled water. I know that can break them up but they still work just as well for me and the beads hold their humidity just fine

The odor from the beads has not had any effect on the flavors of my cigars as far as I can tell. The cigars taste the same whether the beads are new or 2 years old. They also turn a little yellow instead of the original white color.

I do tend to replace my beads about every 2 years so I am about due. This is still cheaper than replacing the Boveda packs but there are ways to 'recharge' Boveda packs to cut down on the replacement cost.

Anyone else have this happen?

Yes sir...happening right now (again)

Have they reached the end of their life span?

I say yes from personal experience but that is just my personal experience...

Will it dork up my sticks?

It hasn't dorked up mine but do what makes you feel comfortable. Its not fun staying up at night thinking about your babies suffering.

I have some 5+yr old RH Beads. Never noticed a smell coming from them, but they have changed colour slightly. Not as white (when dry) or clear (when wet) as they used to be. They still work, and as they are in my "smoke now" tupperdore, I'm not fussed to change them.

• Like 1

I have also experienced this. Mine are about 3 years old and started to smell about a year ago.

I think I will be changing them soon. I have been looking at Mark's beads, a bit more expensive but cheap given what they hydrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have also experienced this. Mine are about 3 years old and started to smell about a year ago.

I think I will be changing them soon. I have been looking at Mark's beads, a bit more expensive but cheap given what they hydrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark's RH Beads haven't let me down in the 5+ yrs I've been using them.

• Like 1

The beads, being extremely porous, will take on the ammonia and essential oils of the curing cigar. Supposedly you can bake them in the oven to expel these odors. Of course, they will simply return in time.

Beaded desiccants have several names. While I prefer just to call them desiccants, common industrial names include such terms as zeolites and molecular sieves.

When you think of a sieve and what it does it should explain why they can attract and emit odors. Desiccants can catch and hold all kinds of 'free' molecules in your humidor, not just water!

This is a reason that I use an engineered industrial desiccant and NOT low grade silica gel. Low grade silica simply takes up room in the valuable space that you call your humidor and then gives you results that cannot be quantified. I use a specific blend and bed it specifically for my appliances, one of the reasons that they work so well in my engineered systems.

Typically, if it is volatile you can bake it out of a desiccant. However, pure silica can be damaged with excess heat so you should be careful and write the supplier of your desiccant to get the proper procedure (if they even know). Of course since there are limitations to the temperature that you can expose desiccants to before they become damaged, and if the bond strength of some of the bonded matter is stronger than the loss of that materials vapor pressure that can be created at a lower heat level, you may be 'stuck' (literally) with that substance.

Understand that a desiccant "catches stuff." That is what it does.

A water molecule is not really that large and the use of a specific engineered desiccant to suit your needs will often be a better choice that a low grade desiccant, or low density desiccant that my not be a precision engineered desiccant. These are made for specific purposes and all not just to catch water. Engineered desiccants are not random... They are designed to catch and hold specific molecules.

Now I cannot imagine that crystal cat litter is engineered! I know what engineered desiccants cost, and it is not 8 lbs for $15.00... But it is used for a purpose and that purpose is for cats to piss in... Don't laugh, I am not putting it down or making a joke. Frankly, it is not really designed to hold water, what we want it for in our humidors. It is actually supposed to 'give up water.' The idea behind cat littler is that the cat is supposed to piss in it, and as a result, the desiccant captures the ammonia, and other odorous molecules and allows the water to evaporate back into the atmosphere of your home. That is the idea... It is not to make a slushy pond for your cat to wade in, but to provide your cat a dry spot to further piss in... keeping the odor in the desiccant in the box and out of your home while giving the water back to the atmosphere so that the cat will return.

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Most of my heartfelt beads are over 7 years old. They have turned brownish and haved an odour of cedar and cigars. Still works as a charm when it comes to keeping the humidity right.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

...They have turned brownish and haved an odour of cedar and cigars. Still works as a charm when it comes to keeping the humidity right.

As PF pointed out, desiccants absorb a ton of stuff. So turning brown and odorous is normal over extended period of times.

Over the past 15 years of using them, I have had a few people ask about the "citrusy smell".

While I haven't been able to pin point the cause, my best guess is that they absorb off gassing from coolers, wine-a-dors or glues / resins in humidors (I assume from freshly made ones) or cigar boxes being stored in any of the 3.

People who wash out coolers and wine-a-dors with baking soda and let off gas with the lid / door open for a few days (in the sun helps more) seem to have the least amount of issues with them smelling over time.

I hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As PF pointed out, desiccants absorb a ton of stuff. So turning brown and odorous is normal over extended period of times.

Over the past 15 years of using them, I have had a few people ask about the "citrusy smell".

While I haven't been able to pin point the cause, my best guess is that they absorb off gassing from coolers, wine-a-dors or glues / resins in humidors (I assume from freshly made ones) or cigar boxes being stored in any of the 3.

People who wash out coolers and wine-a-dors with baking soda and let off gas with the lid / door open for a few days (in the sun helps more) seem to have the least amount of issues with them smelling over time.

I hope this helps

Agreed in my experience with my own coolerdors and others I have helped friends with previously and post setting up my own. Almost exclusively, my beads are Mark's older-style "RH Beads" (not the newer HBS ones), and they have all slowly gained a slightly tan/beige/bronze tone to them, but more like an unbleached-cotton linen colour. No smells or issues though, and my cigars are fine, and humidity levels still provide steady results. I'd have to look back to confirm, but I think the first RH Beads I have are from 2008 or so.

I bought my beads of Mark somewhere around 08/09. Same as Keith, mine have changed colour slightly, but no smell whatsoever. Also bought the newer HBS beads back in 2013. No change to them yet.