What is the point of Maduro releases?

I was initially confused with the Cohiba Maduro 5 release in 2007. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Genios and the Secretos (great quality ones) for the difference they bring to the table. i just never thought they should be in the Cohiba stable.

The Partagas Maduro Number 1 has thrown me for a loop. It doesn't fit into the Partagas lineup as far as I can see. It doesn't add anything...just confuses the picture, decent cigar that it may be.

A small revamp would make a hell of a lot more sense (to me) in a new "Maduro series" under a new Marque alltogether.

The last thing I would want to see as a cigar lover is a crowded lineup of "Maduro" in all of the major brands. To my mind it dilutes the brands as opposed to enhancing them.

just my ***** for the day. let me know your thoughts ok.gif

• Like 4

I blame the U.S.!!!

On numerous occasions, the "generic quality" of ELs has been discussed. While not technically maduro, I think the lack of identity also applies.

So I guess it shows where they're at - luxury items / marketing / lifestyle, etc......

Bring on the Indies wink2.gif

• Like 1

I 100% agree Rob. Bring back one of the discontinued post-revolution brands such as Cifuentes, La Corona or La Escepcion (probably the best choice due to the 2011 Italian Regional Edition re-release). I would love to see Maduro wrapper cigars come out under the Don Candido brand, but I imagine there would be issues with Dunhill. Or, to avoid legal complications over trademarks, bringing these out under a new marca altogether would be a great idea.

• Like 3

It seems to be a classic outcome from the common institutional ownership of multiple (in this case ALL) of the brands. Marketing practice and corporate law treat Brands as transferable assets unrelated and unaffected by ownership, but let's face it, ownership matters and a brand should be considered devalued when its ownership changes.

Look at the U.S. auto industry over the last century: Buicks, Chevy's, Pontiacs all made on the same frame with just the grilles and bumpers changed.

That's why central ownership and central planning is bad for a brand. It ends up a brand in name only.

From a business perspective, I think that HSA released the first Maduro cigar in the Cohiba line to test the waters ... a new wrapper style (for Cuba), on an iconic brand would give them a good idea of best-case scenario sales. Releasing a new Maduro brand could have been disastrous if it was ill-received, tainting the new marca from the get go. While I enjoy Genios and Secretos also, they don't jive with their counterparts. I'll get a Padron if I want a maduro cigar.

• Like 2

Bring back one of the discontinued post-revolution brands such as Cifuentes, La Corona or La Escepcion

I may be missing something, but these were all produced long before nationalisation. Regardless, what is the purpose of using a known marque? And people make fun of Gurkhas......

It seems to be a classic outcome from the common institutional ownership of multiple (in this case ALL) of the brands. Marketing practice and corporate law treat Brands as transferable assets unrelated and unaffected by ownership, but let's face it, ownership matters and a brand should be considered devalued when its ownership changes.

Come on, the cuban gouvernment took over management of the cigar factories in 1962. All the marcas kept their specificity until the late 90's.

Nearly 3 decades during which no one complained…

I rather enjoyed the COHIBA Secretos, Genios line and I think it's great that a Maduro here and there are released.

I also LOVED the Romeo Julietta DUKE LE which was a brilliant cigar.

• Like 2

Come on, the cuban gouvernment took over management of the cigar factories in 1962. All the marcas kept their specificity until the late 90's.

Nearly 3 decades during which no one complained…

Yep... until they sold off half to the private sector.

Now they put more thought into the bands and fancy boxes than the cigars.

It is an attempt to get your money.I agree there should be a new lineup to market Maduro Cuban cigars,but tucking Maduros into the Cohiba line did guarantee they would be taken seriously.Too bad they did not keep the quality up to the level of the marca. dollarsign.gifdollarsign.gifdollarsign.gif

"Only thing is what was mentioned, maybe they are trying to go for NC lovers as there seems to be a ton of NC maduros. "

" There are many NC smokers who only smoke maduros, maybe this is a way to swing some of those consumers over to the dark side."

Ever met an NC smoker who refused a Cuban cigar because it was not Maduro?no.gif

• Like 1

I think a small marca to highlight the unique atributes of a maduro wrapper would be a good move if Habanos wants to continue to create maduro releases. Having a very specific theme for a brand isn't unheard of, such as Cuaba.

Why should HSA not try to capture a large part of the target market? Maduro is popular.

I don't have to like it (and I generally don't) but it shows good business sense.

• Like 2

Yes, I like the Genios and Secretos. Although I haven't had either in a pretty long time I have boxes of them from the early releases.

In general though I am not much of a maduro lover. But I prefer lighter wrappers as a rule any way.

So in closing I guess I am saying I don't care what they do with them. :lol3:

• Like 1

I don't see the need for a separate line of maduro cigars.

Most cigars currently come in lots of different shades.

At the factory, the shade could be written or stamped on the bottom of the box, as it once was.

Claro, Colorado, Maduro etc.

Let the buyer decide.

For almost no cost outlay, value is added to the box.

People, maybe not all of us here, would be willing to pay more, a little more.

People don't want choice, people want exactly what they want.

By highlighting the differences between boxes, nothing "better" or "worse" just different, Habanos could go a little way in providing people with exactly what they want, with an item that is still produced on (basically) a production line as before.

There's the value.

• Like 3

FWIW, I see a lot of younger smokers who started in the NC world cast their eyes to the Cohiba Maduro ahead of a regular Cohiba as their first CC. I think the notion it was created to lure NC smokers rings true.

• Like 1

I agree that a maduro marca with various sizes would be a good idea for those who like a maduro wrapped/blended cigar.

I also think Ryan's comment on stamping the wrapper shade (claro/Colorado/maduro) on reg. production boxes would be a great move.

It has to be based purely on the American consumer, as they seem to be where the Maduro releases for NC's are focused on. Everywhere else I go in the world, no one in any cigar ship seems to care about or focus on the maduro-wrapper cigars, but in US shops, that's all people talk about, the latest and greatest maduro release of some NC jawbreaker, and that the maduro HAS to be better than the natural wrapper version. It's pure hokum. Given that, I've concluded for a while that it's HSA trying to appeal to the American market.

I prefer cigars with a darker, oily wrapper, but not maduro specifically, I'm a Colorado-wrapper kinda guy. That said, I've tried all the habanos maduros releases (the 3 Cohiba ones and the Partagas Maduro last night) and I can't say I've liked any of them. I've had one okay Genios, but the rest, including the Partagas, are just monotone, non-evolving, slightly sweet muddled crap cigars. It's a waste of Cuban tobacco - stick to what you're good at, HSA!

It's the same thing they did with the renovation of Vegueros: to appeal to the American market. Even though I'm American I still don't see the necessity in having a cohiba maduro line, or any maduro in Habanos.

When buying yogurt, I really enjoy new flavors appearing. I'll try them all so when seeing a maduro wrapper on a Partagas, I get quite excited. Am I wrong to think that way? From a purist standpoint, Of Course I'm wrong.

But............

When it comes to Cuban cigars I simply want to taste them ALL !!!