The Lifting of the Embargo: Punch Joe perspective

El Presidente

There are a few different tangents here, but briefly regarding the tourism aspect - in my travels, and regarding visitors from other countries here at home, I think the perception of Americans is kind of skewed. In most instances I've found my countrymen to be pretty adaptable and open to experiences, and when called upon at home, to be friendly and more than willing to help a visitor.

And 50 years after the lifting of the Embargo cuba will be another state or territory of the USA.

How and why?

P.S. Nobody I know and converse with here at home who are not into cigars ( aside from here ) ever talk about Cuba, going to Cuba, etc.

If Cuba never produced cigars / and or was not an inexpensive vacation spot.......

• Like 2

It's going to take a very long time to fix that dump. On my most recent trip it seemed that things have just gotten even worse. The government workers are even lazier (not that I blame them for the pay they get) and the system more corrupted. Change can't come fast enough for those suffering people. Let's hope real change comes soon.

Great write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The tourism aspect is something they need to be very cautious about depending on. Leaving Greece aside, I was in Vietnam a couple years ago and saw first hand the damage a tourism dependent economy can do. Around da nang and hoi an are massive shells of resorts that were never completed due to the economic crash and those shells are complicating the erosion control efforts necessary to protect the beaches that drew that very same investment. Foreign business investment often runs a similar course. I would hope that the Cubans will take it somewhat slow and do some careful planning for both their built and economic environments, but I suspect if they have not done so already that planning will not happen or will occur at the whims of whoever offers the most capital.

I am torn as to my opinion now that a lift to the Embargo is on the horizon. My knee jerk opinion is to say that we aren't close to an embargo lift. The President merely modified the existing limitations, but it does create discussions about this subject. So hypothetically, if the embargo were lifted what changes in Cuba? The day after the embargo what changes, exactly? Do you think the Cuban government is just going to allow US companies to swoop in and start buying up property, businesses etc? Of course they're not. The Castro regime has looked at the US with distain for decades, so why would they change overnight? Also, am I mistaken or hasn't the whole world been able to travel, trade, buy/sell with the Cubans for decades? Why haven't they seen fit to work with this government and develop the country? I know, it's rhetorical question. It all comes back to the Castro regime.

We could lift the embargo tomorrow and nothing would change in Cuba, unless the Castros allow it to change. That means loosening the handcuffs from the people and allowing the free market to take hold. Personally, I think they are scared to death of any such thing happening until they absolutely feel like they will remain in control or the older population dies off. Seriously, can you imagine the animosity the population will have towards the regime once American money floods their shores? Public sentiment could quickly flip on them because, remember, this is a communist dictatorship known for past/present brutality.

If the embargo is lifted I do hope that the Cuban people would benefit, but look at the other Caribbean countries. Are they all that much better off than Cuba?

• Like 1

I am torn as to my opinion now that a lift to the Embargo is on the horizon. My knee jerk opinion is to say that we aren't close to an embargo lift. The President merely modified the existing limitations, but it does create discussions about this subject. So hypothetically, if the embargo were lifted what changes in Cuba? The day after the embargo what changes, exactly? Do you think the Cuban government is just going to allow US companies to swoop in and start buying up property, businesses etc? Of course they're not. The Castro regime has looked at the US with distain for decades, so why would they change overnight? Also, am I mistaken or hasn't the whole world been able to travel, trade, buy/sell with the Cubans for decades? Why haven't they seen fit to work with this government and develop the country? I know, it's rhetorical question. It all comes back to the Castro regime.

We could lift the embargo tomorrow and nothing would change in Cuba, unless the Castros allow it to change. That means loosening the handcuffs from the people and allowing the free market to take hold. Personally, I think they are scared to death of any such thing happening until they absolutely feel like they will remain in control or the older population dies off. Seriously, can you imagine the animosity the population will have towards the regime once American money floods their shores? Public sentiment could quickly flip on them because, remember, this is a communist dictatorship known for past/present brutality.

If the embargo is lifted I do hope that the Cuban people would benefit, but look at the other Caribbean countries. Are they all that much better off than Cuba?

I was going to type exactly what you did. Cuba trades freely with all countries in the world except the US. Why are the Castros billionaires and the citizens paupers living on 20 dollars a month. Trading with the US will not change this fact. The Castros are the "bank" and collect the cash. Then they give their people virtually nothing to live on. No embargo will NOT change this!

• Like 2

I was going to type exactly what you did. Cuba trades freely with all countries in the world except the US. Why are the Castros billionaires and the citizens paupers living on 20 dollars a month. Trading with the US will not change this fact. The Castros are the "bank" and collect the cash. Then they give their people virtually nothing to live on. No embargo will NOT change this!

At the risk of running afoul of the general consensus of the board,

Because it's always our fault apparentlyyes.gif it's way easier to blame the US than to provide anything substantive or objective. We love Cuban cigars so it seems like there is a halo effect in play when it comes to looking at the island and its political/socio-economic situation.

• Like 1

if the embargo were lifted what changes in Cuba? The day after the embargo what changes, exactly?

I was going to type exactly what you did.

Because it's always our fault apparently

P'shaw on all your common sense and factual reasoning! You will conform to the declarations of the clairvoyants - the very next day, nay, minute after the lifting of the embargo, the skies will darken. The locusts will fly. There will be a Starbucks and McDonalds on every corner of Havana.

It is obvious that the Cuban people are weak and easily manipulated. They will be assimilated!!!

Cuba doesn't trade freely, US courts essentially give international companies the choice to trade with the US or Cuba. It's why so many banks/credit card companies caused the big huharr a while back.

Things I think have settled down recently but the reality is that it's still a trade with us or them choice given to companies.

• 4 months later...

don t throw me rocks but i got to say i hate the idea of the embargo lift. As we speak , every cuban have an house or apt provided by the castro regime. every cuban have a job , thay all have free medical access witch is one of the best in the carabeen , free dental care. just with thoses reason we can tell they doing better then canada or the usa . of course they all have the american dream and the idealogy of the mansion and big car but is it what they will get with the lift?? i really don t think soo ... for thoses who did travel to cuba and lets say dominican republic , i bet you noticed how the life quality seems better in cuba . it s not the people who s gonna take adventage of the lift but the corporations . at least that is my point of view

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this article. It provides a new perspective on things we take for granted in the first world, such as technology and e-mails.

Thanks for this article. It provides a new perspective on things we take for granted in the first world, such as technology and e-mails.

Hi John:

Your pal Raymond here. American business es aren't going to chase Cuban business opportunities if they can only take a minority interest, unless they are offered other consessions regarding their primary deal. We all know that Cuba needs cash flow and infrastructure. So if Cuba wants american businesses invest and create jobs, they will naturally have to pay US wages or at least better wages than currently exist. If the Cubans hold out, watch out for immigration of people from all over the planet that would offer this kind of opportunity. Cuba will never have to worry about losing it's population if the opportunities are there and paying a fare wage. Next, the banking system needs to be set up for incentivizing banking and international financing of Cuban projects.

For the last 50 years, the entire world minus the US has had an opportunity to help bring Cuba into the 21st century. And what has been done? Not much. I have seen with my own eyes, how US investment in the country of Mexico has helped to establish world class infrastructure, financing and cash flow, job oriented education and US levels of well paying jobs for those who dare to stretch their intellect beyond manual labor. Good things can happen for Cuba if they take it step by step to establish trust. A good strategy is needed to set goals and expectations on an investment by investmentr basis. So what do you think John? What are the barriers that have to be removed to move forward?

Raymond

Hi John:

Your pal Raymond here. American business es aren't going to chase Cuban business opportunities if they can only take a minority interest, unless they are offered other consessions regarding their primary deal. We all know that Cuba needs cash flow and infrastructure. So if Cuba wants american businesses invest and create jobs, they will naturally have to pay US wages or at least better wages than currently exist. If the Cubans hold out, watch out for immigration of people from all over the planet that would offer this kind of opportunity. Cuba will never have to worry about losing it's population if the opportunities are there and paying a fare wage. Next, the banking system needs to be set up for incentivizing banking and international financing of Cuban projects.

For the last 50 years, the entire world minus the US has had an opportunity to help bring Cuba into the 21st century. And what has been done? Not much. I have seen with my own eyes, how US investment in the country of Mexico has helped to establish world class infrastructure, financing and cash flow, job oriented education and US levels of well paying jobs for those who dare to stretch their intellect beyond manual labor. Good things can happen for Cuba if they take it step by step to establish trust. A good strategy is needed to set goals and expectations on an investment by investmentr basis. So what do you think John? What are the barriers that have to be removed to move forward?

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

So good to hear from you my dear friend! Funnily enough, my family were discussing US tourism to Cuba tonight over the dinner table. Somehow, the conversation turned to Al Pacino's character, Michael Corleone going to Cuba to do business in the 1950's, prior to Castro coming to power in the film, The Godfather Part II. I was mentioning to my wife how Corleone was staying in a resort catering for US tourists, but I understand these aren't around anymore, or not like the past under Fulgencio Batista? She was interested in Boat cruising to Cuba. Now that an American company has done so, there will be many more.

I would imagine that Cuba will need assistance to update it banking system, accept credit cards and Point-of-Sale Electronic fund transfer, a better mobile phone coverage and internet. if they can cater to American tourists this way, I believe that would be a start.

John.

• Like 1

If my trip is anything to go by, they definitely need to update their banking system to accept Aussie credit cards!