Vector Thunderbird Butane Torch Insert For Zippo Lighters

After having another butane torch lighter crap out on me, I seriously considered going back to my never fail Zippo - but then I thought back to how it's soft flame would dance (but never blow out) in a breeze.

So I decided to go with the Vector T-Bird torch insert (they also make a butane soft flame insert). Went with the Vector over the Z-Plus due a number of reviews - so far, so good.....

If it hasn't been used, it rarely lights on first try, but by depressing the ignition half way (releasing gas) for a split second it will light first time, and will continue to ignite on a first try - a very minor annoyance.

Can't comment on capacity or long term reliability as yet. Powerful flame which has not blown out in a pretty good wind.

Bought an all brass Zippo armor lighter to go along with it, which at some point I may adorn with some soldered on elements (we'll see).

Happy to be back with a classic, for short money.

• Like 1

Ever tried, dx.com, Ross?

they're a great supplier that sells everything from electronics, to single torch lighers for those temporary items

I see a few of their $3 lighters in B&Ms here in Canada going for upwards of $20. on top of that, my Vertigo dual torch that i spent $20 on was only $12 on dx.com. but only difference is that it didn't say 'Vertigo' on it

I do enjoy the fact that the vector is working for you. I've considered getting one myself for the looks and everything but have found they seem a tad too cheap. it's nice to hear they're not a piece of junk :ok:

Hmm. Didn't know there was another insert for Zippos on the market. My Z-Plus has crapped out and I've been debating whether I get a new one. Think it's time to pick up a T-Bird insert a give it a whirl. Can't have all my Zippos lying around unused.

Hmm. Didn't know there was another insert for Zippos on the market. My Z-Plus has crapped out and I've been debating whether I get a new one.

huh! i didn't know there was another insert for Zippos on the market.

what's a z-plus and how is it??

The T-bird has a pipe lighter insert also, puts the flame out the side as opposed to straight up have one on order. Always liked my zippo pipe lighter. Can't find it now for the life of me though.

Z-plus insert has been working for me for over a year. I like the narrow flame it produced. Only problem is the gas capacity.

Doesn't hold as much as my blazer pb-207.384 or whatever it's called. And if that fails, I use my Soto.

Love my zippo, don't like naptha, liked the idea of the inserts, don't like the small fuel capacity and consequent faffing to refill due to removing the insert.

I haven't heard of the vector thought, I thought z plus had the market cornered with the soft flame, torch and double torch, ill have a gander and see thanks :)

Have 2 of the Z-plus inserts. I never use them anymore. They are not worth the money. Mine were junk out of the box. The ignition spark was arcing in different directions every time. The electrode is not long enough. I adjusted both of them tons of times. They will not light dependably. The fuel capacity also stinks. It's only good for a handful of cigars.

I now stick with my 3 dollar torches with large tanks and dependable ignition.

I've had loads of butane lighters over the years.There used to be an online cigar retailer that gave you a blazer torch for free if you bought a box of premium cigars. I had three extras once. Those lighters and a whole bunch more crapped out over the years. I buy a couple of BICs every once in a while and spend my money on cigars.

I've had a pair of Zippos with Z-Plus insets in the for years

Both died a couple of months ago after 3 years of solid daily service

One spent its life rattling around in the glove box of my car and the other thrown in my luggage and dragged all over the world with me.

Each was probably used close to 1000 times so when they died on me I wasn't too upset considering they cost around $15

I had the T-Bird for a while but it died on me after about 100 cigars (rough estimate). It seems the fluid wasn't being delivered to the burner. I fiddled with it for some time and then to the bin it went. I replaced it with a Z something insert and am about at the 100 cigars point again without issues. Knock on wood... Next time I find one for a low price, I'll buy a few.

I am aware of the logic behind buying a high quality reliable piece for long term use but I just hate when people scuff my valuables or when I get them stolen. An ole' Zippo passing around has minimal chance of getting stolen and is already scoffed pretty good, so no sweat smile.png