Lygon street, Melbourne

Universita cafe. Tiamos. Jimmy Watson's. Carlton yacht club. And even Brunetti is great. Can't miss with these options. Good food, wine and coffee. Drop into King and Godfrees... Best deli/wine shop in Melbourne

Pretty good generic coffee experiences anywhere along the strip these days, but sadly most of Lygon St has become a caricature of it's former self.

I agree with Isotonic - love Jimmy Watson's for food but if you're in the vicinity, head to Abla's (Leb.) on Elgin St, and Jim's Greek Tavern on Johnston St (unless your girlfriend is a vego)... These places will outlast religion.

• Like 1

G'day guys. My girlfriend and I are staying on Lygon street for a week. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for food and coffee places??

Thanks

Dicko

you want great food and a table at any place on the street? dress up as a catholic priest.

not that i would ever recommend doing such a thing.

you want great food and a table at any place on the street? dress up as a catholic priest.

not that i would ever recommend doing such a thing.

Ken in a cassock, I can picture it now, sandals included....

Ken in a cassock, I can picture it now, sandals included....

not the cassock - just the dog collar etc.

i hasten to add that this was not done with any disrespect intended (nor any idea of the trouble i would have been in if exposed). down in melbourne for a students' conference of some sort or a uni ball, perhaps. it was an old fancy dress costume i had and got talked into wearing it.

i had no idea what lygon street was, coming from qld.

it was saturday or sunday evening and a mate had gone ahead - there was a group of about a dozen of us - trying to get us a table at one place. was told no way. then i innocently walk in with a sister on each arm (that might have been a clue as to the legitimacy of the costume, you'd think - and no, it did me no good at all. one married one of my best mates and the other moved to the carribean as fast as possible). seeing a 'priest', the owner immediately made room, shoved people off on to other tables and set us up in the middle of the place.

it was all going so well until the owner came over and asked me to bless the place (or whatever it is that one does in those circumstances). i made up every possible excuse (apparently, priests are never off duty) but he wasn't having any of it. so i quoted the first verse of dylan's 'forever young' and that did the trick. he couldn't have been happier.

never did it again, though it was a great costume to get ride hitchhiking.

• Like 1

Borsari on the cnr of Lyon and Grattan is good finer Italian but you won't get a pizza. Santino is the owner and John is the MD (Frenchman)

they will look after you and let you set up with a cigar out the front. A cigar and a Averna on that corner in summer is magic not to bad either in winter under the overhead heater.

Yep.

23011101.JPG

that is the one.

angelic, really.

the gentleman behind is an old mate, one of the most senior lawyers in asia (can't you tell?) and is actually in the process of getting married in tokyo at this very instant. only wish i could have made it.

Ken, whenever you do pass away....don't let on to the guy upstairs that we were mates lmao.gif

don't think that will be a problem - i'm hardly likely to lie to him, should i ever come to meet him, and you know how unlikely i think that is. for every possible reason.

Yep.

23011101.JPG

Pretty much how I pictured it but what is that behind? I know, a lawyer but quite odd looking, like a reverse skeleton or something looking.gif

Why not: Ken as a cossack?

large_CossackUkraine_Financial_Cri_Meye.

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

Now you've done it... I'm in tears from laughing so hard.

Why does this thread make me want to go to Confession... "Bless me father, for I have sinned, It has been 2 days since my last Monte #4, and I have smoked a Dominican. (Cigar, silly!!!)

Ying Thai 2 near the corner of Lygon and Queensberry is really good if you want a break from Italian.

And you're so close to the European, one of Melbourne's institutions! And then you can head up to Siglo afterwards for a cigar cigar.gif

Mate if you're pi$$ed later on and need some greasy food, go to lambs(On Lygon) and grab a Kebab, one of the best in Melbourne or if you're in town, go to Stalactites on the corner of Russell streets and Lonsdale Street (They are THE BEST).