in your experience, cigars from 99-2001 that really stood up?

Punch SS#2 '01:

I had two cabs. It took them a while to come around. Just smoked the last one a month ago.

Cohiba Lancero '01:

Fantastic. A good example of a cigar that was wasted when smoked before 5 years of age.

Cohiba Esplendido '01:

These cigars seemed plugged at first but after years the loosened up and are now fantastic.

ERDM PC '01:

Smoked a load of these. Gone but not forgoten.

Worst box of the period were Upman Monarch '01. Not a smokeable cigar in the box.

Once upon a time great cigars sang their last swan songs during this period, never to reemerge again.

The closest I've come since to the "swan song" were a few great selections in 2009. Mainly, the '09 Partagas shorts I have are the real deal old school glory!

Haven't smoked many from this time period but the boli CEs I got from 99 had no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't smoked many from this time period but the boli CEs I got from 99 had no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2

Love the Boli CE from 99 and 00!

• 2 weeks later...

You have secured a stock of Bolivar demi tasse? (Robs question is "For those that have been around a while and secured stock from that period (either then or later")

I traded him some Boli Demi Tasse - I picked up multiple 2001 boxes that I found in Bahrain.

On to the question at hand.........

In my search for discontinueds, I've gone through a lot of cigars from this period myself. For the ones I secured at least a box of...

The Good

Boli Demi Tasse 2001 - They feel sometimes as if too dry - but tasty and surprisingly complex for such a little smoke

Boli Regentes 2001 - Not a problem among them - delicious and reasonably complex

Diplo #1 2000 - Fantastic cigars. Beautiful flavour profile with plenty of nuance.

ERDM Tainos 2000 - Sublime cigars. I treasure my box.

Partagas Sellecion Privada No. 1 2000 - These are absolute treasures. Never anything less than a stellar cigar every time.

Partagas Piramides LE 2000 - Some might say these are past their peak. I say....trade 'em to me if you think so :) Complex and nuanced cigars, and great examples of perfectly drawing torpedos from this era.

Partagas Toppers 2001 - Solid and dependable, good taste with no plugs. Can't go wrong with these.

The Bad

Diplo #1 2001 - as good as the 2000s were, the 2001s were not....many many plugs and muted flavours throughout.

Punch Belvederes 2001 - There was some good cigars here, but many more plugs than I'd expect. The 2000s I've had were better.

SCDLH El Principe 2001 - Little to no taste, boring tobacco here.

Sancho Panza Sanchos 1999 - If not plugged, than pedestrian tobacco ruined it. I don't know why these are here and not in The Ugly.

The Ugly

Diplo #3 2001 - Garbage box, full of plugs and nasty tobacco. Provenance was good, just lousy production

ERDM Lonsdales 1999/2000/2001 - I've got my own boxes and have tried many from different trades - My 2000 box has provided a few decent tasting smokes, but the vast majority of all are tight as a wooden dowel. At least the tobacco is never poor quality.

• Like 1

A box of Partagas Charlottes from 1999 - smelled cellar, but smoked stellar.peace.gif (one of the best tasting cigars I've had)

A box of Partagas Astorias also from 1999 - Not as good as the Charlottes but still that old Partagas flavor.

• 3 months later...