Manchester City and the English Premier League

I love Man City. Have been following for now 30 years. Proud that my children also do.

I took up following Man City for the same reason i follow the Tampa Bay Bucs. They were both hopeless party.gif The bucs trumped Man City with their Orange and white uniforms and winless/near winless years 25 years ago.

Still..I love an underdog.

Mind you who would have thought a Sheik would have Purchased City (Yes Smithy....Liverpool knocked him back) and delivered a team that fights for the premiership as opposed to relegation. Mind you in some ways....I miss those days where 40 points is all you would aspire to as that would guarantee another term in the top league.

I have only seen Man City Live once. The Bucs 3 times but it is almost unfathonable that a boy from Brisbane has such a connection with teams overseas?. I just love the underdog.

Who do you follow overseas/domestically (any code/sport) and why? thinking.gif

I support West Ham - although they are underdogs and haven't won a trophy since 1980, that isn't the reason I support them, its simply because they are my local football team :)

Massive Newcastle United fan. And it's all thanks to Alan Shearer. Greatest tease of a club in history. Money, fans, sponsors... And no trophies

• Like 1

Still..I love an underdog.

Referring to Man City, this was quite an understatement until recent times! I don't think I follow any overseas sports, unless you count Swiss tennis players (but I'm half Swiss which is my justification...).

• Like 1

Liverpool. Played soccer when I was little, buddy's dad loved them, had a satellite and would get most of the matches. Didn't follow a ton until the run to Istanbul when I got hooked. I've only seen them play on tour in the US, but I've been to Anfield.

• Like 1

Toronto Maple Leafs...I've enjoyed watching hockey for years,although I wouldn't pretend to have anything other than the basic gist of it.I fell in love with Toronto the city when I was there a few years ago and thereafter I sort of adopted them as my long distance team of affiliation,as frustrating as that sometimes is :-) I've every intention to visit The ACC for a game someday,hopefully not too distant.

I love Fullham fc and this year was a cluster**** with 3 mangers and players who could not give a toss. Being a fullham fan we are now going to be regulated but the only hope is that once the new football stadium is built the new ownership will spend some cash on talent. But Khan owns the Jags in the Nfl so I am not holding up my breath.

I love the how the Nhl is. I love how there is no 1 team that is heads above the rest. Where the 16 teams that made the playoffs at least half have a shot winning the holy grail. It just makes the games so intense and violent riviarlies.

Liverpool fan going on 30 years now. How? Well I got lucky because they happened to be the team in red which at the age of 6 is how you pick teams, right? Got lucky, because at the time I could have easily ended up a Forest or Middlesborough fan and if I did then I'd be following one of them....

Grew up idolizing and watching the likes of Ian Rush, Kenny Daglish, John Barnes, Peter Beardsley, Jan Molby, Steve Nicol, Bruce Grobbelaar, (hasn't been a more entertaining keeper in England ever since, which is probably a good thing), Fowler, Owen...the list goes on. It's been a brutal 24 year drought for us, which if not this year, I believe will come to an end very soon.

Brilliant, I've been dying to talk "football" on this forum but have kept my mouth shut!

FC BAYERN MUENCHEN for me as my father was american military and I had the good fortunate of spending many years of my youth there and FCB was always a part of that... my father passed away last year and he and I both loved them and german soccer, they had their treble winning season and I am not ashamed to admit I shed a tear as it made me miss my dad....

but I love all other euro leagues, the other teams I follow are ARSENAL (Alastair, you there?), Real Madrid (although they bumped FCB from the champions league) and Napoli in Serie A....

I gotta start following Rugby now.....

• Like 1

Not to piss anyone off but I tend to gravitate towards the other league La Liga and

power house Real Madrid a real stud of a team!

• Like 1

With a father who is a devout United fan and 2 older brothers who support United, it was obvious that I would support Liverpool really.

They've teased so many times with great starts to the season only to fall back and this year when we kept going I dared to dream.

After the Crystal Palace result, looks like the title could be yours Rob but then I still remember a night in Istanbul when we were written off at half time against AC Milan in the Champions League and we came back to win on penalties...so to paraphrase the words of Journey I "won't stop believing" until the end of the season!

• Like 1

Tottenham fan here. Been one since my family lived in London for a year when I was in first grade in 1971-72. Was hoping for Liverpool to win the title this year (sorry, Rob!) but their gag job today against Crystal Palace was a devastating blow. Still a chance, but City has to falter. Liverpool was definitely the most fun team to watch this season IMHO and they controlled their own destiny two weeks ago so I feel for them seeing them giving it up now, but that's why they play the games. And what's come over Crystal Palace of late? They beat Chelsea and Everton and tie Liverpool in recent weeks. Impressive! Maybe Man City deserves the title since they were the only team recently who didn't allow CP to get in their way.

University of Florida....alumnus

Italian National team....heritage

Juventus....love many of the players

Liverpool....watched a behind the scenes series from Fox on them last year and like Brendan Rogers bit really enjoy all of the EPL teams

Just a big fan of soccer in general so enjoy watching Serie A and EPL

Stoked about upcoming World Cup....Forza Azzurri!

Leeds United , supported them since school days, they are going through a difficult period but hopefully next season they will win promotion.

And what's come over Crystal Palace of late? They beat Chelsea and Everton and tie Liverpool in recent weeks. Impressive! Maybe Man City deserves the title since they were the only team recently who didn't allow CP to get in their way.

Give Arsenal the Premiership for beating Crystal Palace twice! party.gif Pulis must be having a laugh, I've never seen a bigger backflip on coaching mentality. Plays cynical long ball football at Stoke and then strokes the ball around with Palace like they have been doing so for years. Class act.

If you didn't guess it, I'm a Gunners fan. And yes, I am resigned to the fact that 4th place is a trophy for us. Even with the stellar start to the season we couldn't keep it together. Injuries crippled us - we just need more squad depth. Losing Rambo and Walcott really hurt. So hopefully Wenger puts some of the Puma sponsorship money towards some key players this summer. Let's just hope we knock off Hull and win the FA Cup now and get this godforsaken monkey off our back...

I do get where Rob is coming from in regards to the underdog. I always find myself supporting Atletico Madrid in La Liga and they are playing tremendous football under Simeone right now. I'd love to see them keep it together and win the league. Bit of a stutter on the weekend against Levante though...

The World Cup should be a killer for underdogs. Some real darkhorses out there right now. Colombia, Chile and Belgium could all cause some serious havoc later this year in Brazil.

• Like 2

Referring to Man City, this was quite an understatement until recent times! I don't think I follow any overseas sports, unless you count Swiss tennis players (but I'm half Swiss which is my justification...).

Stan Warwinka signed my t-shirt at the Aus Open this year! biggrin.png

With a father who is a devout United fan and 2 older brothers who support United, it was obvious that I would support Liverpool really.

They've teased so many times with great starts to the season only to fall back and this year when we kept going I dared to dream.

After the Crystal Palace result, looks like the title could be yours Rob but then I still remember a night in Istanbul when we were written off at half time against AC Milan in the Champions League and we came back to win on penalties...so to paraphrase the words of Journey I "won't stop believing" until the end of the season!

Dara

i was in the hotel room this morning watching the Liverpool/Crystal Palace game. Got up at 4am, answered emails and saw liverpool take a well earned 3 goal lead to the 77th (?) minute before faltering to a 3-3 draw.

Momentum in any sport is a miraculous thing. Once you have lost it in a game it takes 10 times the effort and a touch of God to get it back.

Man City are certainly in the box seat now but we have a history of never doing it "easy". I suspect a turn or two yet to come by end of season Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree that Man City are firm favourites for the title now, I don't think yesterday's result is as big a disaster for Liverpool as it first appears - they are still relying on Man City to drop points in their final two games, which was always the case

I think there is also an increased risk of a little complacency slipping into Man City's game now as well

And don't forget that West Ham have had a impact on the title on the last day of the season before as well - we could do it again! :)

• Like 1

Whilst I agree that Man City are firm favourites for the title now, I don't think yesterday's result is as big a disaster for Liverpool as it first appears - they are still relying on Man City to drop points in their final two games, which was always the case

I think there is also an increased risk of a little complacency slipping into Man City's game now as well

And don't forget that West Ham have had a impact on the title on the last day of the season before as well - we could do it again! smile.png

Was discussing the possibility of a Downing cross to Carroll to give West Ham the win (and Liverpool the title) with someone today laugh.png

You. Know me rob dyed sky blue from birth

Hail from Manchester still dong the blues bad year missed out on FA BUT THE LEAGUE IS NOW OURS TO LOOSE

but city fans know all about disappointment

Go sky blues

Liverpool forever. When growing my older cousins were Liverpool supporter naturally I followed them. Managed to at least enjoy a bit of the old glory days.

Regardless the result of this season, I thought we did well it was beyond expectation. But still I will keep on hoping and praying just so sad that the Gerard will not be able lift this trophy. He's done so much for the club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Liverpool forever. When growing my older cousins were Liverpool supporter naturally I followed them. Managed to at least enjoy a bit of the old glory days.

Regardless the result of this season, I thought we did well it was beyond expectation. But still I will keep on hoping and praying just so sad that the Gerard will not be able lift this trophy. He's done so much for the club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

X2

He's developed the powerful run into the box then fall over like you've been winged by a sniper into a trademarked match winning technique over the past decade. That dedication to gamesmanships need rewarding. Some say that Barcelona's recent success is in no small part down to careful study of the Gerard.

:D

NO pressure Rob but it's yours to lose now....just don't slip up in your final game and let Liverpool steal it back!!!

Brilliant, I've been dying to talk "football" on this forum but have kept my mouth shut!

FC BAYERN MUENCHEN for me as my father was american military and I had the good fortunate of spending many years of my youth there and FCB was always a part of that... my father passed away last year and he and I both loved them and german soccer, they had their treble winning season and I am not ashamed to admit I shed a tear as it made me miss my dad....

but I love all other euro leagues, the other teams I follow are ARSENAL (Alastair, you there?), Real Madrid (although they bumped FCB from the champions league) and Napoli in Serie A....

I gotta start following Rugby now.....

good to see some other members/gunners fans with taste!

as we know too well, there is more to soccer than simply buying a premiership, like the gunners coming 4th, again; st totteringham's day - always a joy; seeing the 'pool, chelski and man u (who are the equivalent of nsw blues/waratahs/cowboys of the EPL) all missing out.

my view for this season is that it is all very well for everyone saying the season a disaster, but in the pre-season predictions from the idiot chorus, the so-called experts, who always pontificate as they have inside knowledge from god, not one, not a single one, picked the gunners for top four.

so although it could have been better, and we were cruelly treated by injuries but that is always part of it, we exceeded that. then toss in the possible FA cup.
anyone asked pre season if winning the FA cup and qualifying for champions would be a good season for the gunners and every one of those idiots would have said absolutely. be nice to finish with a few wins.
and when you consider that we have one of the lowest buy/sell ratios of all clubs, a great achievement. we pick up a couple of top players and avoid a few injuries next year and they'll hang on to top spot.
all hail wenger!