Craziest thing your dog has eaten off the counter...?

HarveyBoulevard

So, making dinner for the wife and a few friends tonight. Enjoying a nice Monte Petite No. 2 with a couple fingers of Lagavulin and grilling out some chicken and steak. Finished the meat and went inside to plate everything but wanted to finish my smoke so we stepped out back for...I don't know...3 minutes.

Turned around to look inside and there he is...scarfing down the last of a pound of chicken and the leavns of two 8 oz filets.

Gotta love'm but want to kill'm...real bad!!!

Don't get me started on the time he punctured every beer in a case I bought for another get together!

post-20100-0-29437800-1395977314_thumb.j

• Like 1

Not my dog but my Brother in law's. Chesapeake Bay Retriever hanging out with us when I was grilling some Flat iron steaks.

Put them on the counter to rest, we come back in and the dog had jumped up and scarfed one whole - this is a 2 pound chunk of meat!

Told the BiL that was his dinner since we were going to eat the other one.....

Few minutes later the dog chokes it out whole! Not very appetizing.

My lab Hunter snuck into the kitchen one night, snagged a loaf of bread off the counter, ripped open the bag and devoured the loaf. Then he had the audacity to walk into the next room where I was sitting watching TV, with the plastic bag hanging out of his mouth.

A few weeks later, the bugger stole a croissant off the counter (it was in a cardboard tray with clingfilm on top). Again walked into the room with the croissant in his mouth, looking like he was smiling with big clown lips.

I don't know what it is about him, but he always shows you whatever mischief his getting up to.

Ok. It's not off the table but the floor.

This tale starts with the phrase "so we'd had a few drinks" and a mate had asked me to put a new edge on a kuhkri (a bent, leaf shaped knife) as I am good at that sort of thing.

After an hour or so I had got a real good edge going on and was chopping sections of bamboo, which I held in my left hand.

I cut too short......

Removing the top 5-10mm of the end of my thumb and nail.

As I stood there staring at the large amount of blood coming from my shortened digit the dog comes up and SLURP licks the severed bit off the ground and eats it

Fin

Pedro wins.

My guy, when he was alive, once ate an entire tray of chocolate brownies. When I found out, I called the vet, they told me to give him a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit. I gave him a teaspoon. Nothing. A tablespoon, still nothing. Half a glass....he just slumped it up like it was the most delicious thing ever.....what an idiot....lol

My wife's dog is a big Alaskan malamute, and that wolf has ripped off during walks to hunt and kill and consume squirrels, chipmunk and even 2 skunks. Just blood and guts and all around disgustingness....

Our kitchen has this window between the living room and dining room like the dive thru at McDonalds. Friends came over for dinner and she bakes this lovely cake for dessert. This was our first dog, a giant Dalmatian, named Rodeo. We put him in the dining room on the other side of the window and we ate at the kitchen table. Matthew leaves the cake on the kitchen counter until dessert time.

He goes to serve it and the entire back half of the cake is missing.

Matthew serves the cake cut into slices on 4 plates and our guest who baked it is totally confused why he did not bring it out and make a big show of it.

• Like 1

I had a golden retriever, Enzo. He was a happy go lucky goof ball of a dog, but I loved him. Once, he climbed up to the kitchen counter and ate a hand towel. Yep, a hand towel. A nice cotton (yum), dirty hand towel. I didn't find out for 3 days. This is how I found out....

He went outside to take care of daily business, and I could tell that something was wrong. He would hunch up, but nothing was coming out! He kept struggling, pushing, and running around the back yard like there was definately some kind of issue. After about an hour of this, I went out to check on him and I could see about 3 inches of the towel exposed, coming out of his south end. I was kind of freaked out seeing this obviously non food item coming out.

I call the vet.

The vet said, and I quote "yank it out of there"...so I grabbed the thickest industrial rubber glove that I could find, lifted his tail, grabbed ahold and gave it a yank. My dog squealed like a puppy and was obviously quite thrilled to be rid of the blockage. He never did that again!

• Like 1

I had a Golden a few years back named Digger. Got his name cause he dug a hole in our linoleum kitchen floor the first week we had him. One night for dinner we baked a whole chicken. Left the room for 20 min, maybe 30, to let it cool. came back and nothing. Said "hey I thought dinner was ready, where's the chicken?" Looked at the dog and he had a very satisfied look. Turned out he knocked it off the counter and ate it bones and all. Luckily he didn't have any issues with the bones but we never left him alone with our dinner again. Gotta love the dude.

Friend of mine had a yellow lab that used to try and eat anything. Meat, burritos, etc. are no big deal. The most impressive thing he ever took off the counter and devoured was an entire cantaloupe melon.

Wilkey

We had a pie resting on top of the stove after it finished baking. Our weim grabbed the glass pie plate and dragged it off onto the floor. It shattered into a million pieces. She ate the pie and most of the pie plate.

Our vet wasn't too concerned.. He said she would probably pass the glass without much issue. He was right… No problems at all other than a few scratches on her face.

This is my Weimaraner, Remy, on his 1st birthday:

bday_boy-vi.jpg

This is what was left over after he took a few swipes at the brownies that my wifey had just taken out of the oven. This was maybe 30 mins after the first photo:

brownies-vi.jpg

And this is Remy shortly after he got scolded by my wifey. She calls this shot "Yeah...I'd do it again."

id_do_it_again-vi.jpg

He's not eaten any finger tips or anything else bizarre like that - hard to compete with that one! He does the usual dog stuff, though... any food or other items of interest left too close to the edge of the counter top may very well be snagged. He's about 5 feet tall when he stands on his hind legs, so it's kinda difficult to keep everything out of his reach. In the last month or two he's taken to stealing cigar butts out of the ashtrays, so I need to remember to toss them when they're cool enough to do so.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

• Like 1

Ha! What a great topic. My girl Nala, AKA "food *****" has snatched anything and everything off our counters. She is a 90ish pound Ridgeback. Pizza, chicken (raw and cooked), steak, corn cobs...list goes on. She has carefully taken glass bowls of food off the counter without a sound or breaking anything. She once escaped the backyard to only fool us as she came through the front door and took a whole pizza while we were distracted looking for her. A few weeks ago, it was cannolis off the dinner table for dessert.

She breaks into the fridge and freezer. After 100s of $ of lost food, the kitchen is on lockdown with invisible fence.

One time she ate a stuffed animal toy. That one ultimately came back up...

My friends and family all know to protect their plates and not to leave her in a room with food!

Woof!

• Like 1

I remember as a child being woken up by a sound not dissimilar to a bowling ball being thrown around the kitchen. Our spaniel had opened the freezer and was chasing a frozen turkey around the floor. We put a lock on the freezer shortly after!

As a kid I went to friends house for Thanksgiving.

Turkey went on the big beautifully set table as we all were gathered in living room.

Their German Shepard decided to jump on the table and steal the whole 20lb turkey...

The dad was so pissed he picked the dog up by the scruff of its neck and tail and tossed it THROUGH the glass storm door,

down about eight steps into the yard.

Door was trash, dog was fine, but she never got on the table again.

The dad was so pissed he picked the dog up by the scruff of its neck and tail and tossed it THROUGH the glass storm door, down about eight steps into the yard.

Hmm. It annoys me to no end when people compensate for piss-poor or non-existent training techniques by employing rage and physical abuse on an animal that was only doing what animals do. Humans are often very stupid creatures.

Well then. I guess that justifies throwing a dog through a glass storm door. Cool.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

My jack Russell mix scaled the 36" countertop, snagged a bag of pistachios, managed to open the bag and polish off all the nuts. Left all the shells in one pile.

This same street dog only crosses the street at intersections on green lights. Go figure.