Havana - Visits to a Humidor Artist

This time around I visited my friend and humidor artist Jose Ernesto Aguilera at his Humidores Habana workshop twice.

Once with the Portmann group on Monday 24-th, the day the XVI Festival del Habano officially was inaugurated and again with my buddy Frank, who missed the first visit, on Wednesday 26-th February.

I have documented the 2 visits on 2 different posts on purpose so the progress of the humidor work can be seen.

Especially so on 3 of the humidors that were auctioned just days after our visit.

The first is the Montecristo desk humidor which was auctioned at the Gala dinner on the 28-th, that is just 2 days after our last visit and after a starting bid of 10.000 € achieved a price at 170.000 €, the second is the square Cohiba humidor which can be seen during our second visit being readied in the open, it was also auctioned at the Gala dinner, starting bid was also 10.000 € and it went for 160.000 €.

For more text and Pictures First Visit : http://flyingcigar.de/startseite/jose-ernesto-aguilera-first-visit-portmann/

Second Visit : http://flyingcigar.de/startseite/jose-ernesto-aguilera-second-visit-with-frank/

post-4742-0-06831400-1395218207_thumb.jp

shead.gif

• Like 1

Nino,

I'm in awe of the craftsmanship of these pieces, especially the desk humidor. It obviously takes a lot of time and energy to create these pieces, and not to mention the patience; As I can appreciate good workmenship in my field..

My confusion lies where the final bidding price landed at 160.00, which is a mere $220.00 roughly. How can something of that quality be auctioned off at that price? Very curious..

Salute,

Daniel

Nino,

I'm in awe of the craftsmanship of these pieces, especially the desk humidor. It obviously takes a lot of time and energy to create these pieces, and not to mention the patience; As I can appreciate good workmenship in my field..

My confusion lies where the final bidding price landed at 160.00, which is a mere $220.00 roughly. How can something of that quality be auctioned off at that price? Very curious..

Salute,

Daniel

I think its meant to say 160,000

@Bclass1 The desk sold for 170.000 Euro (on hundred seventy tausend Euro's)

At 160 Euro it would be on his way to Belgium lol3.gif and I would have ordered a dozen more of them.

I still think that it is cheaper to just order one right there then bidding on it during the gala evening.

Maybe some day .............

At 160 Euro it would be on his way to Belgium lol3.gif and I would have ordered a dozen more of them.

I still think that it is cheaper to just order one right there then bidding on it during the gala evening.

Correct Frank.

And you're right - while the auction is attractive and the profit goes to the Health system, ordering your humidor right there would save you handsome money.

Know a few nuts that have. You wouldn't be the first one ... nyah.gif

But you do the explaining about : "Belgica ??" "Que es Belgica ??"

rotfl.gif

Lol, my fault fellas.. I should've just put 2 and 2 together on that one instead of jumping the hun. The decimal point threw me off. I was unaware it was used as a "comma" when dealing with ... Other than that, fantastic desk!!

As english is not my first language i have no way of summarizing how incredible that desk looks, and even if it were i'm not sure it would be of any help.

Kind of makes me want to study economics, ditch my ethics and screw thousands of people out of their money move to the cayman and uh... where am i going here?

I want that humidor!

As I received some enquiries via pm on the Wood and silver etc used in the work on this and other humiodrs, I've scanned the relevant Information from my auction catalogue on the desk ( actually desk cum roller table ) and the Cohiba humidor.

You will see the info on the materials used and also the vitolas inside each humidor.

Additonally I've scanned 2 pages containing the humidors auctioned.

Nino

post-4742-0-28984500-1395326785_thumb.jp

post-4742-0-71886100-1395326786_thumb.jp

post-4742-0-95184400-1395326788_thumb.jp

post-4742-0-28230800-1395326791_thumb.jp

post-4742-0-60212400-1395326792_thumb.jp

post-4742-0-91270400-1395326794_thumb.jp

post-4742-0-05471700-1395326796_thumb.jp

post-4742-0-32098000-1395326797_thumb.jp

photog.gif

• Like 1

Nino, do you know how long it took for these to be built?

Thank you for all of these posts on the wonders of Cuba. I envy your travels and adventures :)