French Roast - Excellent

Sumatra - Awesome as well

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a great morning today blending coffee with great mate and coffee king Dean Merlo It has always been a dream of mine to release my own coffee tailored specifically to cigars. Today was about go

A long time BOTL and all around great guy in Tucson Az has a mail order business called Polar Bear Coffee, and a couple years ago he turned me on to the pleasure of roasting my own coffee. Now I buy t

I love coffee but I'm a total heathen; my mugs are filled half milk, half coffee with a single sugar. Can never tell the difference between brands due to the amount of milk. :S but I love it so much

I only use home roasted beans at home. I only use single source green beans, and don't bother with experimenting on blending. I'm too lazy for that. After comparing the decline in flavor after various amounts of days (immediately after roasting), it's easy to notice the huge difference between freshly roasted coffee, and something that is more than a couple weeks old. Vacuum packing, freezing, etc. does not make coffee last forever, despite what people think. Roasting coffee isn't as difficult as it seems... or coffee sellers make it out to be. Just like everything else, the best roast, bean, etc. is specific to individual preferences.

I used to think darker and fuller body was always better, but I now gravitate towards lighter roasts with more flavor and complexity... very similar to cigars. I used to experiment with different roasts for different beans, but I just do a city roast now. I very rarely go to full city roasts anymore. I prefer more acidity and brighter flavors in my coffee. Dark roasts and "darker" flavors don't interest me too much anymore. My current beans are Bolivian Organic and Ethiopian Yergacheffe.

I used to use a French press exclusively. Nowadays, I use an Aeropress for single servings... and a Bonavita drip brewer for multi servings. When I have time, I love make making Greek coffee using a Briki. There's nothing better than Greek coffee with cigars, as far as non-alchy drinks.

I used to be an instant coffee guy when I was in high school, switched to tea after, but since I bought my Keurig I'm back on coffee in the morning and evening and tea in the afternoon. I buy Melitta kcups to fit the Keurig and use Folgers instant while out camping/hunting. Bbt there is a nice local spot here on the Rock called Jumping Bean Coffee Co. And they have a wonderful medium roast, which is what I predominitly drink. I'm going to start buying their coffee for home shortly, once I pick up a grinder. Still not sure what kind to get. Any suggestions?

I like my coffee strong ,rich ,with depth of flavor funnily enough ,not dissimilar to my taste in cigars

Types I like are Columbian ,Costa Rican ,nowadays I generally use nespresso @home just for the convienance and time factor my favorite in that brand is Kazzaar

Still have my conventional machine ,looking forward to what ever you come up with Rob

Cheers

I love nice, rich, strong coffee with slight notes of cocoa.

Like Steve, I also use Nespresso and if it's any indication to which kind of coffee I like, it would be Kazaar.

It's quite strong, very little acidity (Almost NIL), it has a really nice chocolate aftertaste.

I love ground coffee ultimately, but it's so hard to get a good blend!!

I'm not sure about brands you'd recognize, but we have a good roaster in town who makes solid old fashioned Italian roast espresso from multiple origin beans. They also roast the single origin beans, so I have tried all sorts of Sumatra, Brazilian, Cuban, Ethiopian, etc. I have to say, coffee blending done well is an amazing thing. And I love my old copper and brass Elektra.

Im yet to have a coffee with a cigar, its actually a combinataion I would not naturally gravitate towards yet time and time again I hear how wonderful it is. I do believe im now inspired to at least try it. A purpose blended coffee is a great idea.

Im lucky enough to live a few hours south of the Tablelands (coffee region) and always visit the plantations when up there for a most rewarding visit.

Never had the opportunity for an in depth coffee tasting / blending experience. Sounds like great fun.

Good luck with the whole process and look forward to tasting the Czargaroffee!

Like Steve, I also use Nespresso and if it's any indication to which kind of coffee I like, it would be Kazaar.

It's quite strong, very little acidity (Almost NIL), it has a really nice chocolate aftertaste.

Kazaar is the best of the Nespresso blends. Thank the Maker they decided to bring that into regular production after the initial Limited Edition run.

This is my go to. Love it in a short macchiato format.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also come across this:

WHISKEY BARREL COFFEE

whiskey-barrel-coffee.jpg

There are some things in life that are just made to go together — cookies and milk, peanut butter and jelly, spaghetti and meatballs — and of course, whiskey and coffee.

With Whiskey Barrel Coffee, you get the best of two great things, blended together for a beverage that's at once sweet, smooth, and smoky. Green coffee beans are aged in authentic bourbon barrels, infusing them with the taste of whiskey, and then they're roasted in a vintage European roaster for a rich, full-bodied taste. The whole beans are then stored in wax-sealed, labeled, and numbered bottles, ready for you to grind at home for fresh, great coffee.

Had a great afternoon yesterday with one of the doyens of Australian coffee in Lachy Hosking. We spent 3 hours not touching a drop of coffee but tasting cigars with great rum, great whisky, great beer, great wine in order to "pull out the nuances"

Research and Development never stops here at Czars pooped.gif

Had a great afternoon yesterday with one of the doyens of Australian coffee in Lachy Hosking. We spent 3 hours not touching a drop of coffee but tasting cigars with great rum, great whisky, great beer, great wine in order to "pull out the nuances"

Research and Development never stops here at Czars pooped.gif

Nor would your hangovers mixing your drinks! lol3.gif

Can I get a job tasting 'Coffee' also mate?

• Like 1

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, or any of the African coffees are amazing. I prefer pure coffees no blends. The beans have to be roasted fresh and after 30 days they are basically dead.

Panama has wonderful beans. My favorite is Jamaican Blue Mountain.

Kopi Luwak, civet coffee is very expensive... Like $220 a pound. I am convinced people buy it just to show their friends and display it on a shelf and never actually drink it. Worth the money? Of course not. But it tastes great.

• Like 1

I love the Cafe Serrano from Cuba. Others seem to like the Cubita (black bag) more, but I'm more partial to the maroon/red-bagged Serrano. I like my coffee fairly bold.

My wife on the other hand likes lighter brewed coffee, and mostly drinks decaf now and again. We only really agree on the Starbuck Christmas Blend for when she's brewing a lighter pot of decaf. She doesn't like when I brew my bold Cafe Serrano, and she usually waters that down a bit.

We also both seem to agree on Hawaiian Kona, as that's a very fruity and lively coffee.

Intelligentsia, El Diablo Dark Roast, my everyday morning cup. I only wish there were more of them in the suburbs of Chicago.

I love El Diablo and Black Cat. I order them off amazon