The mighty Fohiba

I thought someone got bent out of shape about making fun of people being taken advantage of on social media and justification to continue was to use this as a learning tool. I'm still learning myself so I apologize if any of these pics are legit and not fakes but this is what it looks like to a cautious noob like myself and it's great to have some of you guys point out the ones that look suspicious to some one like myself because really there is no central thread (At least that I have seen) with so many examples.

My guiding light is that of the rules of doing business...never do business with someone you don't trust is the big one that stands out to me. To many people suppress their intuition and get hammered by shady products or people when they do that. So that's why I'm posting some of these. Some I don't know better and need experts here to say otherwise. It's interesting to see how many variations of counterfeits there are in Cohiba alone that I would find it interesting to see what other fakes look like for other brands as customs officials seem to be finding all different types of fakes.

http://www.habanos.com/article.aspx?aid=644〈=en

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/counterfeit

As someone new to cuban cigars, and with that always comes counterfeits, I can understand your position. You want to try and learn as much as you can, as fast as you can so you can be prepared. The problem is, you took it to another level by using this outlet/thread as a catalyst to help your cause. Problems obviously then arose when you stray off the beating path of the thread and actually start posting authentic cigars, and a copyrighted pictures to boot.

I'm not here to beat a dead horse and I think everyone can agree your intentions were not malicious in anyway, but my point is this: do your research. There is an abundance of information out there on the web, including Trevor's site (CCW.com), that you can go through and basically teach yourself nowadays the in's and outs. No one is perfect, but you have to start somewhere I you are serious about this hobby. Even though I am new to this community, I am well weathered in what's authentic and what's fake from experience and a lot of reading (thanks Trevor). It's amazing what you can find out these days on the internet regarding Habanos.

I think I speak for everyone when I say, we're all here to help...because at one point we've all been there as well.

Salute

Daniel

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, my... I don't... I can't... Uhg

Go on....have a chuckle

Fosgate - As another member ( Thank you Potpest !! ) here stated : You have used a picture from my blog depicting original Cohiba cigars in this thread - Please remove your post and don't even drea

As someone new to cuban cigars, and with that always comes counterfeits, I can understand your position. You want to try and learn as much as you can, as fast as you can so you can be prepared. The problem is, you took it to another level by using this outlet/thread as a catalyst to help your cause. Problems obviously then arose when you stray off the beating path of the thread and actually start posting authentic cigars, and a copyrighted pictures to boot.

I'm not here to beat a dead horse and I think everyone can agree your intentions were not malicious in anyway, but my point is this: do your research. There is an abundance of information out there on the web, including Trevor's site (CCW.com), that you can go through and basically teach yourself nowadays the in's and outs. No one is perfect, but you have to start somewhere I you are serious about this hobby. Even though I am new to this community, I am well weathered in what's authentic and what's fake from experience and a lot of reading (thanks Trevor). It's amazing what you can find out these days on the internet regarding Habanos.

I think I speak for everyone when I say, we're all here to help...because at one point we've all been there as well.

Salute

Daniel

Thanks Daniel.

That's kind of what I thought this thread was about was to educate, not mock. I've been looking at info on these pretty regularly since August pretty intensively. While I find some talking about fakes I see this thread and there are fakes that I have never seen and there are some fakes that look really close. But information seems scattered with opinions varying on their legitimacy. I guess I think this site has a lot of great knowledgeable people that can definitively answer where other sites will argue if a MonteCristo is fake or if it's just an old vs new band etc. Then you see other brands like "TheDrJoeShow" on youtube that has a fake or fine segment and talks about a few fakes but opens up a whole new can of worms with other brands. That's just it, though. There are so many for Cohiba and you think that they are so easy to spot after seeing so many examples but there are also some really good looking counterfeits out there as well. Gets me wondering if they can do that well with the Cohiba bands what about the other brands? Also I can't find the article again but awhile back I saw where counterfeiters are even targeting non cuban brands as well.

I have ready about Padron's and Opus fakes, too. Cohiba is probably the most counterfieted brand because it is one of the more recognizable, if not the most recognized, Cuban cigar brand. The smaller, lesser known marcas, are less likely to be faked because there just isn't the demand for them. Most people, will love the chance to buy a box of Cohibas, even if it comes in a glass top!

Very true most of the people I talk to say they smoked a Cohiba while in Cancun, Vegas, Friend etc. When I ask if they know it was real and they say it was real. When I ask next how do you know I just get the double blink that they really don't know if they had a real one or not. But usually their only rebuttal is that someone picked them up while on vacation outside of the U.S. I'm probably guessing that most if not all had a fake.

Very true most of the people I talk to say they smoked a Cohiba while in Cancun, Vegas, Friend etc. When I ask if they know it was real and they say it was real. When I ask next how do you know I just get the double blink that they really don't know if they had a real one or not. But usually their only rebuttal is that someone picked them up while on vacation outside of the U.S. I'm probably guessing that most if not all had a fake.

I'm guessing most people on this forum have fakes in their humidor right now without having a clue. Heck I am sure I do too...

I'm guessing most people on this forum have fakes in their humidor right now without having a clue. Heck I am sure I do too...

You really think so? I did so much research before I ever bought the first Cuban just because I didn't want to end up burned. Even the novice Cuban smoker I am, I can certainly taste the difference between Cuban and Non Cuban tobaccos. I'd like to think that all but the most inexperienced cigar smoker would be able to know if they bought fakes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You really think so? I did so much research before I ever bought the first Cuban just because I didn't want to end up burned. Even the novice Cuban smoker I am, I can certainly taste the difference between Cuban and Non Cuban tobaccos. I'd like to think that all but the most inexperienced cigar smoker would be able to know if they bought fakes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'd like to think that also, but I don't. Fakes are rampant all over the world.

Sorry, thought you were being sarcastic. Egg on my face. Sorry brother..

No, not sarcasm at all! I have seen some incredible collections at some great BOTLs who have been around a long time, only to spot some shady looking cigars here and there...

Lmaooooo...

How do you find these, Ry? :lol:

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10 using Tapatalk for Android.

Just search the greatest hashtag on Instagram...

#COHIBA!

Endless entertainment! It just keeps coming!

Alright, this guy could have left out the word "good" and he'd hit the nail on the head.

Here you have it, a Trinidud and Fohiba! post-13208-13925396629015.jpg

Ooo, and what's this?? Another Trinidud??

post-13208-13925396986937.jpg

Remember friends, never cello!

post-13208-13925397390651.jpg

Difficult thing copyright, since 1989 us law says all privately created original work is copyright by default, it doesn't need a statement of copyright. So that applies to everything on instagram doesn't it?

Unless 'fair use' makes it ok?

Either way, awesome finds Rye :D

Unless our illustrious leader is flogging dodgy sticks, I'm pretty sure I'm ok :)