Tubos Help

Hi everyone. I've decided I want to try some tubos and I was wondering where I should start. Are there any that are good now or are there any that could use some age that I can stash that will be better down the line? I'm just looking for some guidance, I guess.

Hi m, you didn't indicate your flavor profile preference in original post...that would help others to point you in the right direction. However, one of my favorites is the H. Upmann Coronas Major. Relatively cheap n cheerful, they can offer deep Upmann flavors of creamy coco, cedar and tobacco goodness. I've honestly never had a bad one and need badly to restock. Also a BIG Partagas fan but I was disappointed with my first try of the Coronas Senior, many like them, but they left me wanting. My .02, I hope you find what you like!

is there any specific reason why you want to try Tubos specifically? you pay a premium for the tube itself.

But if you are going in that direction Mag 46s in tubos are very nice, so are the PSD4s

You're right, I didn't. My tastes are sort of all over the map. I don't like that sort of ashy/earthy flavor on the finish of a Party Shorts (also similar to a Tat Black Petit Lancero, Herrera Esteli) as an example. I do like that creamy coco/tobacco profile that you're describing. I'm not a big fan of pepper, only a tingle on the retrohale.

is there any specific reason why you want to try Tubos specifically? you pay a premium for the tube itself.

But if you are going in that direction Mag 46s in tubos are very nice, so are the PSD4s

I wanted to try some tubos partly because I like the vitolas themselves and partly because I like having a few that I can throw in my shirt pocket and go. So I'm looking more in to some of the less expensive tubos.

Also in terms of aging some, I am curious to see what a tubo party 4 vs a box party 4 tastes like.

A buddy recently gifted me some Romeo no2 tubos that are excellent. Velvety reddish brown wrappers and a very rich smooth flavour. Not sure if I got lucky with these but if I had paid for them I would be extremely happy.

You got lucky, the reddish hue is a good indicator they will be good.

Most of the time they are crap IMO, sad since it is the starter cuban cigar for most as they are available anywhere.

Recent Punch Punch Tubos have been great in quality (the ones I received at least). I bought them for transportation purposes as well. The tubes obviously are made for corona gorda, but petit coronas fit nicely in them as well.

Bolivar Royal Corona Tubos are much better than the boxed version of the cigars (based on my sampling). I have never ever had a BRC Tubo I didn't think was great to excellent ( I have gone thru almost 4 boxes in the last 2 years). They also have the pepper you say you like, along with espresso and sometimes a nice sweetness. They can be earthy, but they are worth a try. You can only get them in boxes of 10, so it's an easy and cheap investment.

Recent Punch Punch Tubos have been great in quality (the ones I received at least). I bought them for transportation purposes as well. The tubes obviously are made for corona gorda, but petit coronas fit nicely in them as well.

XXX2222

It's funny I've never had a Punch. What is the flavor profile? I've tried just about every other marca besides Punch and Vegueros. Can you describe it?

Punch Punch to me is a smooth medium body stick. Creamy toasted tobacco with a bit of a kick strength wise.

I find that they share some similarities with the H Upmann marque. If that helps at all.....

Young tubos are sharp tasting and agressive in my experience.

I find that it slows the ageing process being in a tube,and I seek out older tubo smokes for this reason.

I also find mold much more often in tubo sticks.I have seen more threads about mold in tubos than in boxes.

I do like that creamy coco/tobacco profile that you're describing. I'm not a big fan of pepper, only a tingle on the retrohale.

Sounds like you would enjoy the Monte tubo. Young Siglo tubos have been surprisingly good too.