Favourite non cuban

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arturo Fuente Short story and the God Of Fire Carlito Churchill are the only non-cubans i can seem to stomach. Not that i've tried too many, but had a few Padrons and others and just dont seem to like them flavour wise.

Had a few Arturo Fuentes not bad, had to get into non Cubans when in Vegas recently, better than nothing. The Padron anniversary series and the 6000 were not bad though.

I have several NCs in my rotation but 3 stand out to me, at least recently.

1. Illusione Rothschild: Comes in cabs of 50, at around $3.50/stick. Cost to goodness ratio is hard to beat. Great maduro wrapper and construction and burn are always fantastic

2. Herrera Esteli Short Corona: When I am looking for a spicy NC stick with some of that cuban twang, I pick up one of these. Great with a couple of beers where you want to just enjoy a good stick without too much thinking. Good price at around $6-$7/stick in cabs of 25

3. Casa Fuente Corona Gorda: This is made by Arturo Fuente and sold at their Casa Fuente Cigar Bar in Las Vegas. Really enjoy this size as well as the much more limited and expensive lancero. Pricey but very enjoyable when I am looking for those Fuente Flavors.

Runners Up: Arturo Fuente Hemingway Work of Art Maduro and Short Story Maduro, Illusione Singulare Phantom 2010, Four Kicks Headley Grange, La Palina Goldie Series

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to NC's I've had one too many disappointments so I keep to a select few. Padron 80th and 40th Maduro (with age they are truly epic!) I also recently acquired several Opus RdC that have at least 6 yrs on them and they are absolutely amazing...also WOAM but again the older the better.

If I'm smoking non-cuban, then my favorites would have to be the Oliva V line and the Quesada Espana. My two favorite sizes would be the Extra Churchill from Oliva and the Corona from the Espana.

good stuff there, Oliva has their master blends that I have yet to try and a buddy of mine has tried them and liked them.

There really are some good NC's out there. Anything Davidoff is always dependable, as is Arturo Feunte Hemingway line, Zino, Avo and aged Padrons are pretty spectacular. However, my standout NC's are by Paul Garmirian - this guy is aging his own stock. I recently picked up a box of 5 x 38 PG I that were from 92. Spectacular aged cigar. Highly recommend them if you can find them. I live 30 miles from Paul's shop.

Herrera Esteli short corona

Cabiguan Guapos Junior

Opus x xxx Belicoso

These are the only NCs ill stock anymore. Trying to get rid of my stock of Ashton vsgs and brickhouses

I've tried them all , and I've come to the conclusion , Nothing beter then a HABANO .It's not that I don't want to ,but I can't do It anymore.,

No taste , no complexity, no roundness , nothing .

X2

I'm sitting on plenty $20 plus (USD) NCs. These get passed on consistently for a $5 Habano PC. NCs just don't do it for me anymore.

I usually only turn to non cubans these days for maduros. My favourites are the Arturo Fuente Anejo "Shark", Arturo Fuente Short Story and Padron 1964 Anniversary Exclusivo.....all in maduro wrappers of coarse.

Ah I forgot about the Ashtons, I bought a few thinking i'd like them and tried one and it was ok, the remaining ones I have I gave away haha! I tried one Padron a few months ago ( actually my first) and was to me very bland almost nothing in terms of flavor, its smoked well and wasnt plugged I just wasnt wow'd by it. I have another Padron that i've had in my Humi trying to get some age on it which I have heard get better with age so we'll see.

I like Pete's stuff. Tatuaje PCR's, and the brown label corona gorda reserva one, forget the damn name. I'll usually pick up a few singles or fivers when i'm in philly and stop at holts, but never keep boxes in my humi. Money better spent for me on Cubans.