A bad box of cigars...

So i only buy from Pres and only buy HQ and PSP stock, so i know what good boxes look like. Recently on my way through Dubai i had a look at plenty of boxes and nothing really stood out as a good box. Am i just too picky with what quality cigars i expect? If people can post up some bad boxes of cigars that would be appreciated :) Obviously beetle ridden cigars are bad, but any boxes that have just been plain bad tobacco/oils etc?

Cheers

Mus

Aside from the obvious, damage or mold, it's not an easy thing. I'd consider first the conditions of storage in the shop. Then, I'd ask the proprietor for his experiences with that particular lot. As the remarks here might lead one to realize, oiliness and the cosmetics of the wrappers often bear little correlation to the smoking quality of the cigar. Aesthetics, yes. Smokability, less so.

Wilkey

Agreed, no telling how the cigars will smoke. I had a gorgeous rascc last week, the nicest color and wrapper I'd have ever seen and it didn't smoke as well as my rustic looking ones. I don't know how it was stored though and felt like it was on the moist side so that could have impacted its flavor.

You (we) have absolutely no way to check the quality of tobacco and blend. Oils on the wrapper is generally a good sign, whatever the color.

But the most important point is the construction: you must learn how to "read" the feet, to check the weight and to err… spot the soft spots.

btw I don't buy if I'm not allowed to touch the cigars…

There is a way to check the 25 feet of a dress box in one move, I'll make pictures if people are interested, as I'm not sure my explanations in english would be really clear…

There is a way to check the 25 feet of a dress box in one move, I'll make pictures if people are interested, as I'm not sure my explanations in english would be really clear…

Hehe,

I recommend new guys practice the "flip the lid" on a box of Drew Estates before doing it with some Habanos.:D

But you make an additional good point. Touch the cigars. Feel them. If you can give them a gentle squeeze, you will learn much more than just by looking.

Wilkey

I think my initial post may have been misinterpreted. I did not intend it to be a "are dark oil cigars good cigars" debate. What i would actually like to see is photos of "below average" cigars. We see heaps of photos of awesome cigars, so lets see some of the dodgier ones. When i went through Dubai all the boxes i looked at looked dry and pale, some even greenish. Is this a standard box of cigars?

I think my initial post may have been misinterpreted. I did not intend it to be a "are dark oil cigars good cigars" debate. What i would actually like to see is photos of "below average" cigars. We see heaps of photos of awesome cigars, so lets see some of the dodgier ones. When i went through Dubai all the boxes i looked at looked dry and pale, some even greenish. Is this a standard box of cigars?

Thanks to your write up of the LCDH, I've now got 3 boxes on the way, should be here tomorrow

I'll let you know how they look and (eventually) smoke ;-)

I personally make my purchase decision based on condition of the wrapper, how the cigar feels between my fingers and how the box smells. There are no guarantees as even in a very good box there might be few not so good ones but picking cigars is mostly experience and the more you have it the better you get at it.

My best cigars save for some RE/EL have been fairly ordinary looking. I will never turn down the opportunity to taste test from a box of ugly ducklings as I find them to usually be outstanding smokes. Now, when I purchase, I always ask for darker wrappers (oily is good but can make them fireproof unless you are willing to put them down for a bit to let the oils absorb into the rest of the cigar) but when I get a box that doesn't look all that wonderful, I dont think to flip the box or get rid of them asap.

My best ugly duckling cigar I had was a greenish, pale, paper thin monte 3 I got from a ten box a few years back. I was so upset at what they looked like I didn't even smoke one till I gave half the box away to people so they could try one for free. It ended up being one of the best Montes I have ever had and I am not even a montecristo guy. I think there is a saying somewhere "dont judge a book..."

Buying pep/hq or even PE isn't a guarantee of flavor as I have discovered via samples of cigars sent to me as trades or gifts. The quality has been, on average, good, but I have had my fair share of hq/psp do absolutely nothing for me. Rob does offer a great service with hand picking and looking for specific dates/codes and I wont take that away from him, but its still a hand made product that can look like gold on the outside but smoke like trash when cigar is put to flame.

I agree with Smallclub. If the construction of the cigar is spot on, and the blender didn't just randomly decide how to blend the cigar, it's going to be good. My best cigars have been the best rolled. Cuban tobacco is the best in the world, match that with good construction and you're 95% of the way to a great cigar. Some of my most beautiful cigars have been the recent Upmann Royal Robustos and they have been horrible because of construction issues. Too loose or too tight they have smoked horribly, compared to a beautifully rolled Partagas short that was mind blowing.

Keep in mind that the generic term "oil" can be a bit misleading.

Our common experience leads us to visualize a viscous, lubricious amber fluid whenever we encounter the term. However, oils as a generic term can encompass several different chemical compounds including lipids and essential oils. Some of these are quite volatile. They readily evaporate in the air and provide that delicious aroma we detect whenever we open the humidor. Others are more like liquid waxes or fats and do not contribute much to sensory characteristics but may affect the burn performance when present in large quantities.

So, in dried out dessicated cigars, you could say that the more valuable, essential oils have evaporated to a large degree. Conversely, in those isolated cases where unscrupulous manufacturers have applied non-native, even inorganic mineral oils to the leaf to impart a desired sheen, cigars can stay "young" forever. In particular, there is the case of some counterfeits I came across a few years ago that had a wrapper that never, ever seemed to dry out or get brittle. Clearly something had been sprayed on them to insure an attractive appearance in perpetuity.

Wilkey

So i only buy from Pres and only buy HQ and PSP stock, so i know what good boxes look like. Recently on my way through Dubai i had a look at plenty of boxes and nothing really stood out as a good box. Am i just too picky with what quality cigars i expect? If people can post up some bad boxes of cigars that would be appreciated :) Obviously beetle ridden cigars are bad, but any boxes that have just been plain bad tobacco/oils etc?

Cheers

Mus

You need to shop around my friend. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Lots of LCDHs and other shops out there with outstanding service and box selection. Sometimes prices may be higher, sometimes they may be lower. Also, many will even open and inspect your boxes as a courtesy and service to you. Even if your looking for darker wrappers or whatever you may be looking for in a box without any additional markup or charge.

Here are 4 cigars from boxes this blind man wishes he didn't get stuck with. Construction has been excellent on all the cigars I've smoked from these boxes......and unfortunately a cab of the Mag 46's.

All these cigars have improved with age, but gone from disappointing to just OK.

I've read lots of complaints about cabs of Mag 46's from 08. I didn't realize R&J was in the crapper, although I did get one excellent box of #4's with the same code.

One stunning box of Dip #2's and this paper doll box with the same code.

All with the same dull, flat, light brown oilless wrappers.

R&J #4 BLP JUL08

R&J Belicosos AGU FEB08

Dip #2 POS DIC06

Mag 46 USE JUL08

post-5656-0-45771000-1379528783_thumb.jp

I bought a 50 cab of Mag 47 USE Jun 08 as well. All cigars are light with rough paper, no oils. All have that old newspaper taste to the. suffered through half the box thinking the next one would be better. Definitely my worst box especially since I love the 46. my other 25 cans have been stellar. the type of cigars that when you are smoking them you think to yourself "This is why I smoke cigars.'