magic D4's

for all the thoroughly deserved bagging one gets to aim at rob, he does occasionally come up with something to redeem himself (i say this before you see the next video because his rep will be in tatters after that).

he has directed me to some great boxes. i always remember a box of boli gigantes he spotted in havana - fabulous.

a little while back he put me on to one of his HQ boxes (sadly a box of ten only) of partagas D4's (code - GEA MAY 08). they have been magic cigars. i know that rob and i had a couple a while back but i don't think we video'd it.

they have been absolutely magnificent. i do know we video'd the partagas D4 Reserva and they were stunning but i had another of those a little while ago and it just sucked. a really disappointing cigar. had to re-light about 20 times. such a shame and a world away from the ones we reviewed.

the next night i had one from this box and it blew the Reserva away. every one has been fabulous.

almost gone and i will really miss them.

last night, i had one that i can only describe as the magic pudding cigar (aussies will understand the reference - a famous aussie kids' book about a pudding that just keeps replenishing itself whenever someone eats part of it). smoked it solidly and it took over two hours. no need to relight even once. and the flavours were dense, complex, amazing. at one stage, over about 30 minutes of glorious smoking, the burn/ash did not seem to advance at all. quite bizarre. i thought it might be one of those weird cigars that burn down the centre and come out near the end - had it happen with a partagas LE pyramide years ago. but no. hence the magic pudding reference.

wonderful smoke - happily go 98.

and that is why this is one of my favorite cigars, keep your regionals, your ELs, your reservas, your high dollar blingers

when you have a d4 thats on like magic you've reached smoking nirvana

my buddy had an 08 box like that, each time we fired them up it was like an event

I know there are alot of D4 fans on here and while i have never had one i would put over 93-94 i would love to see you guys do a video review of this box of cigars (probably unlikely considering you only have a few left). Would be fitting to put the magic on the camera so you can revisit how good they were. Just a thought

I know there are alot of D4 fans on here and while i have never had one i would put over 93-94 i would love to see you guys do a video review of this box of cigars (probably unlikely considering you only have a few left). Would be fitting to put the magic on the camera so you can revisit how good they were. Just a thought

given the rubbish rob made me smoke for the vid we did the other day, a good idea.

Best cigar I ever smoked was a D4 and it was the only cigar I have ever pegged at better than a 95. I rated it a solid 96-97. Too bad they are so inconsistent. The 2010 box that I'm smoking from now are all 85-90 range smokes.

I just don't get the whole D4 thing... I just think its not my type of cigar even though I am a huge Partagas fan, maybe I just haven't come across the right box? but I have had quite a few boxes including HQ boxes. Don't get me wrong I have had the odd few good ones but there's so many more cigars i'd reach for before a D4! They just don't seem to do it for me.. pod.gif

I also had some decent D4's and recently had some crappy ones (12's) with "fire proof" wrappers. At first I thought they looked great since it had a nice dark wrapper, but it's actually very thick, feels like sandpaper, and refuses to burn.

The best D4 I had was also one from 08 and it was stronger than any recent production I smoked...but also the most delicious!

recently had some crappy ones (12's) with "fire proof" wrappers. At first I thought they looked great since it had a nice dark wrapper, but it's actually very thick, feels like sandpaper, and refuses to burn.

I think I've had some of the same 12's.... I also thought they looked great with the dark wrappers etc. I was actually smoking one the other week and was only half way through and on the verge of tossing it when I decided to do a little test, So I peeled off the wrapper and to my surprise it actually tasted a lot better, looked butt ugly mind you! LOL

I think I've had some of the same 12's.... I also thought they looked great with the dark wrappers etc. I was actually smoking one the other week and was only half way through and on the verge of tossing it when I decided to do a little test, So I peeled off the wrapper and to my surprise it actually tasted a lot better, looked butt ugly mind you! LOL

Hmm I haven't tried that...thank goodness I only bought a fiver and have 2 left!

Something special happened in 08 for the D4's. I am a D4 fan and found them to be great young. wow was i a novice, when i got my D4 box from 08 about a year ago, they were so much more. The box is less then half full now, i tell myself i should smoke them as they are ON but i keep holding them back for special occasions like they were a premium cigar.

I'm a big SD4 convert. I'm nearly through my second box of 25's from 2012 (the current one is an ABR12 box), and every one of the nearly 40 i've smoked has been very very good. Individually they didn't look that great, and if you saw them on LFTH you'd think Rob had made a blue and photographed a box he meant to send back! They have been very well constructed however, with a firm but not overly tight draw, and are producing a lovely white ash that holds on for ages. I can't fault them. Flavours of spicy pepper right the way through and go really well with a glass of red!

Best cigar I ever had was a tubed D4 my sister gave me on my birthday. A dark and sticky wrapper accompanied by the most distinct 'barnyard' smell, once lit it had a sweet, spicy flavour like a xmas cake. I've heard Rob on the video reviews talk about how a great cigar can completely take you over and that one did it for me. Been looking for something like it ever since.