Green Havanas.

Hi everyone,

I recently had a friend who brought over some green Havanas from 1956.

They where ok but were nothing you would compare to today . nothing special.

I had the chance to write on another forum ,the same thing.

View the cigar, I did not like them; but what do you think of GREEN HAVANAS.

I hope that they never come back and you ? And sorry, no pics !!!!!

Guy

I've had a few vintage Cubans that were green candela looking wrappers and honestly they all were terrible, lifeless smokes... Not sure if it's due to the unappealing visual of a green wrapper or just the fact that a lot of vintage Cubans are past their prime with no strength or enjoyability left. From my experience, 1 out of every 4 vintage Cubans I've smoke are pleasant ones worth the price paid. Others usually lack in many qualities, and the green ones especially turn me away..

Back in the day the Candela wrapper was king, at least here in the US. I look at them wrappers and say "yuck"!

I've had plenty of candela wrappers mostly from older Mag 46s and Des Dieux.

"Candela" is not a color, it's a curing method which is not used it in Cuba.

That said, the worst Hoyo des Dieux I have tried to smoke had these green wrappers, yuck!

The qdo claro claro corona, now were they actually double claro wrappers, and is that the same as candela?

No, not at all. Candela leaves are cured very quickly, with heat. To my knowledge it was process applied to american leaves , not a cuban thing.

Thought so, thanks!

So were the claro claro stamped boxes just the same as the corona claro that is in production today, eg just a packaging change or were they actually different cigars?

Trevs site shows they were in production at the same time so I'm guessing they were two different blends, the claro claro was just a name, nothing to do with wrapper shade?

I've had plenty of candela wrappers mostly from older Mag 46s and Des Dieux.

Incorrect. Candela were cooked at very high heat to preserve the green color of chlorophyll. Thought to have been a marketing ploy for Americans who associated "green" with being more "natural."

Double claro is just a very pale shade of claro. Not the same process either.

The Q d'O claros are def not green

No I mean there was two different coronas back in the 70's, the corona claro claro and the corona claro, the former was discontinued while the latter is what we still have in production today

I'm guessing that it was just a name to seperate the two different blends? Or the claro claro was actually wrapped with a very light shade of tobacco?

The "greenest" looking Havanas that I have ever gotten was a dress box of H. Upmann Coronas Major with a 2007 box code.

The wrapper is a claro shade and some even had green flecks on them. They smoked alright after a few years of aging.

interesting stuff and by coincidence, i was going through the stash recently, checking what was there and i came across a 'candela' that i had forgotten.

it was given to me by a friend in havana (won't name him as apparently they were destined for one of the head honcho's over there and he pocketed a few to give to mates - they had been rolled specifically for the head honcho by one of the top rollers so one would assume that they would be pretty much as good as candela were likely to get). if i recall, rob smoked his that afternoon (nothing like gratious instantaneous gratification) and i don't think he was overly impressed.

mine still sits there. probably time to out it.

When I started smoking there were still lots of candela cigars available to buy......which I did. I always enjoyed them. The wrapper had a sweetness that was unique to them and because they were on the mild side they were a great morning cigar.

For someone like me who enjoys multiple cigars most days, they were a great round 1.

Maybe these cigars smoked better young as the wrappers sweetness might fade with time.

Would it kill them to make a few for the old farts like me that are still puffing.....

• Like 1