You have the hands on the controls. What cigar would you bring out next?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then the price will be astronomical, but I like your choice!

6 bands seems fantastic... I'd like to see this on a Perlas!

Nothing that I'd pick would be a massive commercial success. I'd love to see an RA 898 varnished, but there's a reason that doesn't exist anymore...

For sales numbers I would create a JLP Double Corona at <$8 per stick, fancy up the band A LOT (some glitter and flash), add second band that would appeal to golfers ('Edicion St. Andrews' or something like that), then offer it for sale in 5ct cardboard sleeves and 25ct dress boxes. I would include one of those cigar clips that latches on to the side of a golf bag as a 'free gift' when you buy the box of 25, and a cheap cutter or punch with the 5ct.

It would have to be Montecristo or Cohiba and targeted at the existing players, but also the emerging markets like China. Having said that I would also include the tastes of the US smokers because they do influence sales. This is a difficult exercise . . .

After much thought my decision would to create a Montecristo Sublime and add it to the regular lineup. I would box it in cabs of 15 cigars priced at $15 a cigar. That would increase the number of boxes to 33,333, but I think I could sell them out because of the price point. The Sublime would attract all kinds of smokers.

So the question is what do we think would work vs what we want? thinking.gif

My first instinct was a Behike Lancero. The BHK4010. (40RG, 10 inch length). Probably not gonna happen. laugh.png

The best chance for success is to stick to the Cohiba brand. It is on the lips and minds of even non smokers let alone us CC nuts.

Something unique is required. The BHK's are big RG monsters. The Linea Classica has a lot of vitolas covered. The Maduro line, well...it's interesting but not a blockbuster.

Affordability needs to be reasonable. The cigars should come in smaller packages with options to buy larger volumes. No fancy jars though. SLB all the way.

The cigar should also be easily accessible. In that it's easy to find, it's not an LE , BHK line, etc. The cigar shouldn't be too big.

Therefore, I present, the Cohiba Perfecto. (size 50 * 160mm) or something close. The key is to not make this a monster smoke.

post-6763-0-38384500-1368639971_thumb.jp

There is no perfecto vitola in the Cohiba family. Ever I believe. The band would be a modified 35th anniversary band as a straight cut band doesn't look right on a perfecto.

Packaging would be a 5 count wooden dress box, similar to the E2. The other option a 25 count SLB.

These would be placed in all channels. LCDH's, retailers, duty free shops around the world, etc.

This has the branding on it's side. Very accessible purchase via many channels. Pricing for a 5 count would be an easy and affordable purchase for the casual smoker, the SLB is for the diehards. smile.png

The size of the cigar puts it at 60+minutes smoke time. If the blend is done right, it could be a winner.

My first instinct was a Behike Lancero. The BHK4010. (40RG, 10 inch length). Probably not gonna happen. laugh.png

The best chance for success is to stick to the Cohiba brand. It is on the lips and minds of even non smokers let alone us CC nuts.

Something unique is required. The BHK's are big RG monsters. The Linea Classica has a lot of vitolas covered. The Maduro line, well...it's interesting but not a blockbuster.

Affordability needs to be reasonable. The cigars should come in smaller packages with options to buy larger volumes. No fancy jars though. SLB all the way.

The cigar should also be easily accessible. In that it's easy to find, it's not an LE , BHK line, etc. The cigar shouldn't be too big.

Therefore, I present, the Cohiba Perfecto. (size 50 * 160mm) or something close. The key is to not make this a monster smoke.

There is no perfecto vitola in the Cohiba family. Ever I believe. The band would be a modified 35th anniversary band as a straight cut band doesn't look right on a perfecto.

Packaging would be a 5 count wooden dress box, similar to the E2. The other option a 25 count SLB.

These would be placed in all channels. LCDH's, retailers, duty free shops around the world, etc.

This has the branding on it's side. Very accessible purchase via many channels. Pricing for a 5 count would be an easy and affordable purchase for the casual smoker, the SLB is for the diehards. smile.png

The size of the cigar puts it at 60+minutes smoke time. If the blend is done right, it could be a winner.

I think you'd have a real winner here: mass appeal, trading on Cohiba's reputation, wide marketing. Perfecto's aren't my preferred vitola, but hey, I'm not the only one smoking these things.

It should be something based on regular production. There is a huge increase in interest for the size of Petit Robusto. And they already have many light and mild versions of Petit Robusto. Now there is a place and demand for something more powerful of this size - Partagas Petit Robusto.

1. Partagas is a Global Brand

2. Petit Robusto is perfect size for not very long smoke

3. PSD4 is already one of the most famous Robustos on the planet

4. Perfect spicy profile

5. The price. Since Partagas is not in Cohibas price range this should be very affordable and popular smokes.

6. You can use the same model of packaging as for Montes Petit Edmundo, means all possible presentations including tubos versions.

Thats what I call blockbuster.

60RG Cohiba Chubby (similar in size to the Zino or an über petit robusto) double banded of course. The ultra macho presentation and convenient smoke time will help achieve the sales targets.

I picked on cohiba because it is my least favourite major marca and imo lacks class and has already been desecrated by over hyped marketing.

If sales targets were not the overwhelming priority I like the idea of a monte churchill without any extra bands or flash boxes and in regular 25ct boxes.

It should be something based on regular production. There is a huge increase in interest for the size of Petit Robusto. And they already have many light and mild versions of Petit Robusto. Now there is a place and demand for something more powerful of this size - Partagas Petit Robusto.

1. Partagas is a Global Brand

2. Petit Robusto is perfect size for not very long smoke

3. PSD4 is already one of the most famous Robustos on the planet

4. Perfect spicy profile

5. The price. Since Partagas is not in Cohibas price range this should be very affordable and popular smokes.

6. You can use the same model of packaging as for Montes Petit Edmundo, means all possible presentations including tubos versions.

Thats what I call blockbuster.

PSD#5 is now regular production...

Trinidad Corona Gorda for me please. An ERDM CG would be a very close second.

I liked the Behike in a 46 gauge suggestion that was mentioned before as well.

Bolivar Coronas Extra. If the marketing guys think it will help, put it in a varnished box and put 6 bands on each cigar.

Then the price will be astronomical, but I like your choice!

Good point. What about this: sell it in either a 50 cab, or in a dress box. Can't fail, right?

This is a great exercise!

For sales it would need to be either:

1) Monte

2) Cohiba

3) Partagas

4) RyJ

or maybe 5) Upmann

All of these have a ton of Violtas to choose from.

I guess a Monte Robusto Maduro might get my vote. Maybe a robustos extra Maduro?

Price it above the Edmundo and below the Cohiba Maduro (closer to the Edmundo). Boxes of 10s and 25s

I like this one a lot,I really do !!!! Just great Frank, thanks

Great minds...

:lol: It's all about the Benjamins. If the exercise is to bring in as much cash as possible, Cohiba is the brand you'd want to bank on. :ok: I'd like to see a return of the RA898 but one has to wonder, will the blend be the same?

Not an easy question at all. The portfolio of Cohiba, Partagas, H. Upmann, Romeo Y Julieta, Bolivar is packed like choco-block. To launch a new product selling like hotcakes - not easy.

My proposal:

Cigar in the same size like Davidoff Yquem RG42 - 6" (152) in 3-4-3 boxes a bit smaller than a Corona Grande and a very elegant format

or

choosing the Britannicas format like in the RA Celestiales Finos RG46 - 5,4" (137) very elegant, extraordinary format and at least not a jawbreaker also in 3-4-3 boxes

Smoking time should be 60+min. Strength from medium to full.

The marca would be taaarraaaaaa

post-15478-0-71279400-1368728350_thumb.j

The idea of boxes of 20 is very tempting.

Besides all this, some very great ideas came up.

You have the reigns of HSA.

For 2014 you have the sole vote on the one cigar you would introduce into the regular production lineup.

To save your job however....assuming you can keep your hand out of the till....it needs to be a commercial blockbuster. That means 500,000 cigars a year production (20,000 boxes of 25 or other configuration)

What would you select? How would you package it?

Over to you ok.gif

Well, H S.A. haven't listened to us any other year.....so, sure, let's try again!!!! party.gif

RA 898 varnished. Old school green and white band and varnished box.

Agreed. This is one of my five thoughts.

...A Ramon Allones piramides (no.2 sized) with the old green label would be great, but I think I'd lose my job based on the sales quota

Another hit, and one of my five as well.

Trinidad Piramides (torpedo), - Old school Trini band, basic and simple, boxes of 12 and 24....

Hell yes. For the win, in 12-boxes for sales volume, but priced REALISTICALLY!!!

And, my other two wild and crazy thoughts....

Diplomaticos robustos. In 10-boxes, or 50-cabs (yes, that's right - NO 25-boxes!), varnished boxes which actually have a cigar ribbon tied around the outside of the boxes, with the Diplomaticos logo silk-screened on the ribbon, and then an awesome gold wax-seal pressed onto the ribbon and box with the Diplomaticos logo.

And LGC "roller series" corona gordas or robustos, packaged in special order jars (ornate, beautiful things, like the LGC RE Cuba jars) and then also in "refill" packs (simple cardboard boxes, but decorated with a similar LGC styling, containing a bundle of 10 or 25 cigars). You could order/get them not just by factory code, but by roller codes.

Almost anything in a jar as RE will sell - (ERDM for Cuba, more LGC for Cuba or? Diplomaticos and QdO for France, RA for Middle East)

Partagas Petit Salamones in rectangular boxes, like Charlottes of 25 - regular production

Last thought: 25ct and 10 ct boxes of PLPCs with LCdH exclusivity?

BHK 52s and BHK54s always work