Partagas SD4 Reserva

I have an opportunity to get a box of Partagas SD4 reserva from 2005 For a reasonable price (although reservas are always expensive), how are they smoking right now? Are they worth it? They are a dream come true for me, but I wouldn't want to wast money in a cigar just for a collection and never smoke one...

Thanks for your help

That hesitation you feel regarding any large purchase is usually the correct one.

EDIT (forgot to include thoughts doh!):

A bunch of people like them. Some who love the EL, some who just love cigars in general. I don't think they're worth it. I guess it's cool to have, but I don't buy cigars unless I know for a fact that I will smoke it.

So if you always wanted it, want to smoke it, and don't care if it's not as good as to your expectations, then buy it. I usually don't buy things if I have that voice in the back of my head saying, "pass on this."

Never had the pleasure. I did smoke a few Monte 4 Reservas and found them to be better than standard production. The only review I've seen on the PSD4R's was in CA's Connoisseurs Corner, by JS. I think he found them to be tapering off in strength, were smooth and might be on their last legs. You might be able to find the review on their site. And please don't go on what I'm writing here. Hopefully some people who've actually smoked them will chime in. :) You can always do a box split with friends to lower your investment.

"I said 'CHIP! Chip, don't do it!' It was too late. That light turned green and Chip took off!"

hahahaha! so we are go on the Partagas, I just need to sell my other Kidney and go pick them up in about 3 weeks we are of to Cuba next week so this is turning out to be a really great cigar month!

• 4 months later...

I know Ken and Rob did a blind video review of this stick a while back

They were pretty impressed with them but i dont think Rob could pick they were a Partagas

Great score there, mate

Hope they do great things for you

If they don't, drop me an email ;-)

indeed, we did do a review (had i had any idea of what they were worth, no way was i opening them. i will smoke these and i think i still have a full box).

we loved them, as you'd see. cost? i got mine on release. but it is all relevant to each individual's situation.

i should say that i had another not so long ago and it was crap. completely different cigar. had to re-light it about 20 times. very frustrating all round. i'm also in a box of HQ standard D4's from 08 which have also been spectacular.

provided yours are the same as our first experience, you'll love them. if they are like the second one i tried, compost beckons.