Pre-Embargo Partagas? & Partagas 1995 150's?

brazoseagle

Saw these today on C-list.

I'm not even entertaining these, just curious to hear what some of you think.

http://dallas.craigs...3543127861.html

3I43M93F55L85E45H2d1d58ae7fdd61f31165.jpg

From the same guy:

*****These are way off!!!!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/clt/3491790857.html

3E83I53N65G85V05Kacck2ed372269e48103e.jpg

Those Partagas 150, I've never seen them before so I've no idea. The packaging looks quite "posh" though. $2,000, I'd have thought high.

As for his pre-embargo Partagas, from the picture it's very hard to tell. The cellophane has aged, from the heads of the cigars they look machine made. As they look in the pictures they could well be 80s/90s Aristocrats, in which case somebody might pay $10-$20 each for them. I've seen some pre-embargo cigars here and there but I can't remember if I've ever seen any in cellophane. Clear Havanas, lots. Made in Cuba, not off the top of my head. I'm not saying they don't exist though

Someone posted about those four cello wrapped sticks here before. As for the Partagas, this line here "18 year old African Cameroon wrapper" sounds suspicious. I've never heard of a Cuban cigar made with anything but Cuban tobacco.

I posted about these pre-embargos a couple weeks ago. The guy emailed me several times. He runs a store in the Texas if I recall correctly. One of their focuses is "pre-Castro" cigars. Strange

http://www.bishopartscigars.com/

I just saw your other post, I thought I had seen that picture somewhere.

It is in the seller's interest to say they are pre-embargo (to be pedantic, not quite the same as pre-Castro, there's about a 3 year difference) as then they would be legal for sale in the US.

Without the box though, it is too difficult to tell. As for his expert saying they're between 1950 - 1954, I would be very interested to hear how he got dates that specific from some single cigars. The Partagas band didn't change in years. How brown the cello is, is no guarantee either. I have 25 year old cigars in cello that is still clear, I've seen brown 15 year old cello. It probably depends on storage, certainly light getting at them would make a difference.

From the pictures, it's too hard to tell. In my opinion, not worth what he's asking. Somebody who wants old Cuban cigars will want them though, especially if they might be legal in the US.

He is based in Dallas, so I see his ads all of the time, I guess I never noticed them floating around the forum before or I would have not have posted them. Oh Well........

Don't make me put Shlomo's Unicorn back up!

Most machine made partagas vintage/pre embargo cuban cigars arent very good. They just die out it seems. Ive tasted many different ones. With older smokes, for a rule of thumb I just stay away from machine made mostly. These look like 1970s maybe. as for their authenticity, not enough proof and it looks like the contrast was amped up on the photo or something.

The 95' 150s are a more rare NC smoke that demand high prices. I have heard so so things about the line up. I have had a few, they were subpar, if that. The packaging and cigars look authentic in the photo, though.

I'd stay away from both.

While I am definitely no expert those cigar bands on these "pre-Embargo" cigars just look too recent to be from that era. I'm envisioning this "collector" carefully "collecting" these recent Partagas cigar bands and applying them to some 18 year old, badly over humidified smokes as they appear in this picture.

Also, the 150th Anniversary Partagas's (unless his camera is photographing them really dark, which shouldn't be the case because the cigar bands look like the correct color) look like cooked Mexican cigar wrappers or Connecticut Broadleaf to me - NOT African Cameroon wrappers which aren't jet black like that, and have a lot more tooth and bumpiness in their appearance. Just my 2 cents