Cuban cigars brought into the US...

US student could work in a tobacconists provided there is no Cuban involvement in the firm. As the goods are already bought by the owner ofbthe shop the benefit of the sales of cigars goes to the owner.

Fair enough, but Americans cannot smoke Cuban cigars legally anywhere, even if it's a gift. I think that was established. So an American working in a European cigar shop could not sample product he's selling. That doesn't make sense either.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an American you are technically not allowed to even smoke them when you are outside the country as well. At least that's what I have been led to believe.

I once had to go through, with a US government officia,l a list of all the parts in an Airbus A320 aircraft to try and prove that no more than 10% of the parts in the aircraft where manufactured in the US, so that the aircraft could operate on flights to Cuba.....we failed to convince them (they don't specify whether the 10% is calculated by weight, value, etc and change the interpretation to suit their own agenda)!

Our government, hard at work to keep us safe. Gives me a warm feeling.

As a US citizen, even abroad, you can not possess Cuban products.

I am a broad but I am a Canadian one.

I did not risk bringing Cuban cigars into the USA last week and somehow having my name flagged on some computer.

• 4 weeks later...

If this has already been covered somewhere I apologize, I have had a search and am still unsure. In Sept/Oct I will be travelling to Canada for a few weeks. I will no doubt buy some CC's while over there but my return flight has a brief stopover in LA. WIll this be an issue? I'm guessing I should just do the usual remove bands etc to make sure there are no issues.

If this has already been covered somewhere I apologize, I have had a search and am still unsure. In Sept/Oct I will be travelling to Canada for a few weeks. I will no doubt buy some CC's while over there but my return flight has a brief stopover in LA. WIll this be an issue? I'm guessing I should just do the usual remove bands etc to make sure there are no issues.

Your problem will be when you come home and are carrying more than 50g of tobacco. I suggest smoking whatever you buy before coming home. Aus Customs doesn't care where you bought your cigars and if you had already paid duty on them or not. If you are carrying them when you cross the border, you will be taxed if you're over the limit. Plus, if you don't declare and get caught, you get handed a fine.

Thank god there is still some discretion at Australian customs. In my experience they're not going to fine you for a few singles over the limit. We aren't a complete nanny state yet.

Your problem will be when you come home and are carrying more than 50g of tobacco. I suggest smoking whatever you buy before coming home. Aus Customs doesn't care where you bought your cigars and if you had already paid duty on them or not. If you are carrying them when you cross the border, you will be taxed if you're over the limit. Plus, if you don't declare and get caught, you get handed a fine.

Cheers Fuzz,

Yeh I wasn't sure if I would have a problem in LA or not. I do plan on smoking majority of them abroad and then bringing back my 50gms worth. Pretty draining how low it is now, 50gms is like maybe 3 Monte no. 2's or something like that. And if you are over, you get taxed for all and not just the amount that is over. Anyway I will be coming back with a few non cigar smoking friends so they are able to bring in 50gms each for me as well.

Be aware that you will probably go through US Customs and Immigration in Canada rather than transit through the US without having to worry about the ban on Cuban products. It is not like flying in from Europe and staying in transit. I don't know what would happen if a US Customs official in Canada found your stash, they might allow you to do a U turn in order to mail your smokes from Canada to OZ. Good luck!

Yes you definitely can have a problem going through US customs in LA. There is personal experience from people on this forum going back home to Oz through LA. If you don't have that many cigars I wouldn't worry about it, but you should know it is not legal and they can confiscate them. Just depends on the customs agent you get... you could get someone that understands you are an Oz resident just traveling through and will actually have a heart.

Thank god there is still some discretion at Australian customs. In my experience they're not going to fine you for a few singles over the limit. We aren't a complete nanny state yet.

Cheers Fuzz,

Yeh I wasn't sure if I would have a problem in LA or not. I do plan on smoking majority of them abroad and then bringing back my 50gms worth. Pretty draining how low it is now, 50gms is like maybe 3 Monte no. 2's or something like that. And if you are over, you get taxed for all and not just the amount that is over. Anyway I will be coming back with a few non cigar smoking friends so they are able to bring in 50gms each for me as well.

You would think there'd be a little discretion, but the last time I went through (beginning of Feb), I asked one the Customs guys and he said if you're carrying more than 5, you will need to pay duty. Then he looked at me and told me to open my bags for a "random" inspection. pod.gif

You would think there'd be a little discretion, but the last time I went through (beginning of Feb), I asked one the Customs guys and he said if you're carrying more than 5, you will need to pay duty. Then he looked at me and told me to open my bags for a "random" inspection. pod.gif

Like anything government related its a crapshoot. I got caught with a banana in my bag accidentally one time (back when they were $20/kg) and you would have thought I was a drug trafficker. Was expecting to be a star on that tv show they have "Border Insecurity".

Like anything government related its a crapshoot. I got caught with a banana in my bag accidentally one time (back when they were $20/kg) and you would have thought I was a drug trafficker. Was expecting to be a star on that tv show they have "Border Insecurity".

Better Border Security than Australia's Most Wanted! jester.gif