Cuban cigars brought into the US...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an American you are technically not allowed to even smoke them when you are outside the country as well. At least that's what I have been led to believe.

It is true. It is considered trading with the enemy.

As has been said, almost no way or reason to enforce it.

I disagree. I've never read, seen or heard of an American being in trouble for "smoking" a Cuban cigar. The problem comes in with spending dollars for Cuban products.

I heard this also while in Spain, Americans are not allowed to possess any Cuban products even while out of the country.

And why would we, and take a chance at being labeled a 'commie supporter'?

I was on the receiving end of a very stern lecture from a tobacconist in Germany about just this. I laughed, thinking that she was kidding, then realized she was serious (and very condescending). Then I laughed harder. Funny thing was that I never told her I was American, so all she had to go on was my American accent. I told her that I was Canadian, and that she had bad breath. Then I asked her if she knew where the closest good tobacconist was.

I disagree. I've never read, seen or heard of an American being in trouble for "smoking" a Cuban cigar. The problem comes in with spending dollars for Cuban products.

Doesn't matter if you have seen or heard, neither have I. Just because something is near impossible to enforce doesn't mean it's true.

And you are correct that technically the law has to do with spending money on Cuban products. The US Gov't makes it illegal to give any money to Cuba. Technically it is legal for Americans to visit Cuba, but since they figure there is no way to visit a country without spending money, they consider the whole trip illegal.

I was on the receiving end of a very stern lecture from a tobacconist in Germany about just this. I laughed, thinking that she was kidding, then realized she was serious (and very condescending). Then I laughed harder. Funny thing was that I never told her I was American, so all she had to go on was my American accent. I told her that I was Canadian, and that she had bad breath. Then I asked her if she knew where the closest good tobacconist was.

People love to claim they're Canadian in Europe.

Doesn't matter if you have seen or heard, neither have I. Just because something is near impossible to enforce doesn't mean it's true.

And you are correct that technically the law has to do with spending money on Cuban products. The US Gov't makes it illegal to give any money to Cuba. Technically it is legal for Americans to visit Cuba, but since they figure there is no way to visit a country without spending money, they consider the whole trip illegal.

Unless the trip is "sanctioned" and then no problem. Go figure.

It is illegal here to smoke on a beach.

It is illegal here to have a glass of wine in a public park.

Neither is ever enforced. No different to the fact that it is illegal for a US citizen to enjoy a Cuban cigar anywhere in the world. Dumb laws and practically unenforceable.

Unless the trip is "sanctioned" and then no problem. Go figure.

There are legal licensed trips available to Americans for specific stated purposes. I went on one in October. It was a "people to people" licensed trip. As I've posted here before, I came back with three boxes in my luggage and had no questions asked of me regarding what I brought back with me nor was my luggage ever searched leaving Havana or arriving in Miami. My opinion is that customs just doesn't care and I think its because they have been told to relax by the present admininstration.

There are legal licensed trips available to Americans for specific stated purposes. I went on one in October. It was a "people to people" licensed trip. As I've posted here before, I came back with three boxes in my luggage and had no questions asked of me regarding what I brought back with me nor was my luggage ever searched leaving Havana or arriving in Miami. My opinion is that customs just doesn't care and I think its because they have been told to relax by the present admininstration.

"Inconsistent" is probably the best way to explain it. Government hard at work, not enforcing their own stupid, outdated laws.

People love to claim they're Canadian in Europe.

Canadians in Australia get mad when Aussies ask them if they are American. Because of this Most Aussies will ask me if I'm Canadian just to avoid the potential of having to deal with another upset Canadian. After I tell them I'm American most Aussies will ask if there is actually a difference between a Canadian and US accent.

Canadians in Australia get mad when Aussies ask them if they are American. Because of this Most Aussies will ask me if I'm Canadian just to avoid the potential of having to deal with another upset Canadian. After I tell them I'm American most Aussies will ask if there is actually a difference between a Canadian and US accent.

Having grown up and spent my entire live in the deep deep south, all American accents north of Tenn. and west of Texas sound really weird. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

ask the aussies if they are from New Zealand....Lol

It is illegal here to smoke on a beach.

It is illegal here to have a glass of wine in a public park.

Neither is ever enforced. No different to the fact that it is illegal for a US citizen to enjoy a Cuban cigar anywhere in the world. Dumb laws and practically unenforceable.

^ THIS !

Funny thing this world of ours.

I have more trouble bringing cigars (of any origin) into either Mexico or Cayman (cuz they want the duties due on any cigars over your personal limit) then I ever had bringing CC's to the US.

I routinely bring more than my 25 stick limit to Mexico to help stock the store with good NC's since there aren't any distributors in our part of the country. In Cancun they X-ray the bags before you go through customs and they nab me almost every time. The duties are outrageous but in the other hand they value the cigars at somewhere near $1 per.

I wonder how much of a dent we could make on the deficit by applying the same theory to CC's in the states? Nah, that would make too much sense.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=19.307783,-81.379145

What I find interesting is where does the law or jurisdiction end regarding US citizens dealing in Cuban goods, even outside the US.

For example, could a US student on a summer work visa in the UK get a job in a cigar shop? Cuban cigars make up more than 50% sales in just about any London (for example) cigar shop.

Under the wording of the law "The regulations prohibit any person subject to US jurisdiction from dealing in any property in which Cuba or a Cuban national has an interest", probably not.

On the other hand, could he get a job in a supermarket that happens to sell Havana Club rum? Sales of Cuban products in a UK supermarket would make up probably less than 0.001% of trade.

It is an odd one.

What I find interesting is where does the law or jurisdiction end regarding US citizens dealing in Cuban goods, even outside the US.

For example, could a US student on a summer work visa in the UK get a job in a cigar shop? Cuban cigars make up more than 50% sales in just about any London (for example) cigar shop.

Under the wording of the law "The regulations prohibit any person subject to US jurisdiction from dealing in any property in which Cuba or a Cuban national has an interest", probably not.

On the other hand, could he get a job in a supermarket that happens to sell Havana Club rum? Sales of Cuban products in a UK supermarket would make up probably less than 0.001% of trade.

It is an odd one.

Having had the "pleasure" of dealing with US Sanctions in work Andy, my understanding of the OFAC guidelines are:

US student could work in a tobacconists provided there is no Cuban involvement in the firm. As the goods are already bought by the owner ofbthe shop the benefit of the sales of cigars goes to the owner.

US student could not work in a cigar distributor that is part owned by Habanos as he would be indirectly working for and providing services to a Cuban entity.

I once had to go through, with a US government officia,l a list of all the parts in an Airbus A320 aircraft to try and prove that no more than 10% of the parts in the aircraft where manufactured in the US, so that the aircraft could operate on flights to Cuba.....we failed to convince them (they don't specify whether the 10% is calculated by weight, value, etc and change the interpretation to suit their own agenda)!