Non-Cuban Recommendation

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but I tried to search and couldn't find anything.

I have only ever had cuban cigars, never non-cuban. Whilst the general consensus seems to be cubans are better, I am interested in trying to see how they compare. My favourite cigars that i enjoy are Saint Luis Rey Regios, Bolivar Petit Coronas, Partagas D4's, Montechristo PE's...

What would you recommend in the non cuban? Keen to try something in the Arturo Fuente line-up if possible.

I haven't had any NC that would even remotely be similar to the smokes you mentioned, but I do like a couple of NC's. Opus X, Anejo, Liga Privadas, Padron 1964/1926, and a couple tatuajes. Another one I recently enjoyed was a Quesada Espana, which is kind of HTF, but worth tracking down.

I smoke mostly CCs but recently I had very enjoyable MUWAT Bait Fish, Fuente Anejo Shark, and Tatuaje Cojonu 2003. I dislike the loose draw of most Padrons intensely.

i would try Davidoffs especially the thousand series. the 2000 is one of my go to cigars.

Avo Domaine is another one i like

Room 101 COnnecticut has an interesting flavor profile.

La Palina Family series has been impressing me as of late and so has the Elogio Havana

as mentioned before, none of these has a "Cuban" flavor to them, but they do have good qualities worth checking out.

My favourite cigars that i enjoy are Saint Luis Rey Regios, Bolivar Petit Coronas, Partagas D4's, Montechristo PE's...

if you are seeking NCs that are similar to the above Havanas my thought is why bother? If you are looking for something different, then it might be worth the effort. "Better" is of course subjective.......

I have a few NCs that I enjoy, but it would be difficult to really recommend anything in particular. If pressed, I enjoyed a Fuente God of Fire Churchill this past year.

I'm yet to find a NC that comes even close to a cuban. I went through a phase of trying some, but can't really see the point now.

That said, I tried a Liga Privada Undercrown gran toro that was pretty good. Some of the Tatuaje stuff is ok, particularly the petit cazadores reserva. But I find that I prefer the lighter bodied NCs, particularly Connecticut Shade.

I probably won't buy NCs again.

Guest Jagger

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but I tried to search and couldn't find anything.

I have only ever had cuban cigars, never non-cuban. Whilst the general consensus seems to be cubans are better, I am interested in trying to see how they compare. My favourite cigars that i enjoy are Saint Luis Rey Regios, Bolivar Petit Coronas, Partagas D4's, Montechristo PE's...

What would you recommend in the non cuban? Keen to try something in the Arturo Fuente line-up if possible.

I'm just like you and I try a recommended NC every opportunity I get or make, and although I have been pleasantly surprised and have found some really decent NC sticks, I have yet to have one replace the sweet, earthy rawness of a Cuban cigar. A smell and a taste that I love. The search continues though - if nothing else, so I don't just smoke all my Cubans too fast. I am aging many and want to continue aging them as long as possible. So in the meantime, a La Flor Dominicana Air Bender has been a pleasant find.

I do enjoy NC's from time to time for a change of pace. Tatuaje and Fuentes you cant really go wrong imo. some very good cigars in their lineups. For tatuaje, i enjoy the brown lable series, especially the capa espicial and petit cazadores reserva. For Fuente, the anejo series is fantastic, the queen b and flor fina 8-5-8 and even short storys are all stellar cigars. also a newer brand, The Crowned Heads have a line called four kicks...these are stellar smokes as well

Some of my favorite NC's:

My Father (#4 lancero if you get the opportunity is a great vitola)

Cabaiguan

Fuente Anejo and Don Carlos

J. Fuego Sangre del Toro (original vitola is great)

Camacho Triple Maduro

Angelenos (by Fuente)

None of these are very Cuban in profile, except Cabaiguan a little bit, and the Camacho 3M and Anejo are fuller in body than a lot of Cubans, as most NC cigars are.

Who can argue with one wanting experience? I certainly wish that the NC cigar makers could make a superior product and I would continue my anti-buying protest against the company at war with the thin ring cigar indefinitely!!!

I must say however that I find it hard to pursue an endeavor that nets me an average or below average smoking experience. I might as well shoot myself in the foot to find out if it hurts as bad as they say!

Time spent with a bad cigar is time wasted, not experience gained. I don't wish to waste my time on any cigar that is average or below, Cuban or otherwise. As the Cubans pursue a catalogue of emulation ahead of leadership, great cigars are getting harder and harder to find. MHO.

Good luck on your journey. -Piggy

^^^ x2. I have to say I am becoming so picky about the cigars I spend my limited funds (Ok I blow my brain$ out). Let's translate that to we only have so many cigar puffs on earth and I am making sure that they are incredible - and for me that is found in Cuba.

if you are seeking NCs that are similar to the above Havanas my thought is why bother? If you are looking for something different, then it might be worth the effort. "Better" is of course subjective.......

I agree with Colt on this. You will have a long and arduous journey to find an NC that comes close to your favourite Cubans. I do keep a few NC's around and of these I would recommend anything from the My Father line, Ashton VSG's and Ashton Classics, and the Cabaiguan's.

Guest Jagger

Some great sounding recommendations from a number of you. I'm especially interested in the Tatuaje line because I do see a lot mentioned about them. I haven't ever tried any of the Tats, but I have an order in for a box of the Little Monsters. I see a trip to the local B&M in my plans for the day.

But first, a Hoyo Petit Robusto with my morning coffee.

Guest Jagger

^^^ x2. I have to say I am becoming so picky about the cigars I spend my limited funds (Ok I blow my brain$ out). Let's translate that to we only have so many cigar puffs on earth and I am making sure that they are incredible - and for me that is found in Cuba.

Hear Hear! x2

Guest Jagger

La Flor Dominicana are very good smokes and so is Alec Bradley's Black Market.

I recently smoked an LFD Air Bender that I had been resting for a good 6 months and it did really surprise me as a very good smoke. One of the best wrappers I have yet experienced. I haven't had any Alec Bradley's, but I have one Alec Bradley Prensado CG and one Davidoff Aniversario #3 coming in the order with my box of Little Monsters.