It's getting cold around these parts.....time for Chili!

After 9 hours or slow cooking and love, my award winning Prime Tenderloin Texas Chili is finished. Easily the best Chili you will ever eat!!!

post-8544-13514916981943.jpg

What is your favorite cold weather meal?

Sichuan hot pot is the way to go when the weather turns cold. After dinner, you'll have your own internal furnace for hours.

hotpot.jpg

The bowl in the center is for those girly-men who can't handle their chili and spice!!

Sichuan hot pot is the way to go when the weather turns cold. After dinner, you'll have your own internal furnace for hours.

Haha. There's this place in Melbourne that's a great sichuan hotpot place.

You know it's good when you enter because you spend the first half hour coughing and trying to breath.

After 9 hours or slow cooking and love, my award winning Prime Tenderloin Texas Chili is finished. Easily the best Chili you will ever eat!!!

What is your favorite cold weather meal?

My favorite? Easy - it's a big pot of slow cooked chili! Already on the lookout for some of my favorite places that serve chili to bring it out for the coming winter. But nothing beats homecooked. Care to share your recipe?

And you're from Texas - beans or no beans?

My favorite? Easy - it's a big pot of slow cooked chili! Already on the lookout for some of my favorite places that serve chili to bring it out for the coming winter. But nothing beats homecooked. Care to share your recipe?

In Texas it is breaking no less than 4 laws if you put beans in your chili!

Recipe:

2lbs prime tenderloin cubed

2lbs 70/30 black angus sirloin ( chili/stew grind)

1lbs pork and venison sausage

4 cloves fresh garlic sliced

2 sweet yellow onions roughly chopped

1 red onion roughly chopped

2 jalapeño peppes sliced

2 pablano peppers sliced

2 banana peppers sliced

2 Anaheim peppers sliced

1 Serrano pepper sliced

6 fresh tomatoes quartered

1 can of whole peeled tomatoes

1 cup of fresh cilantro

1 half cup red wine

1 cup dark beer

Kosher salt

Black pepper

Cumin

Mexican oregano

Paprika

Chili powder

Cayenne pepper

Dried and minced onion and garlic

Garlic powder

Mass

( just find wick fowlers 2 alarm chili seasoning mix- it's easier)

Fresh spring water

In a large stock pot slowly render down your beef ( not sausage) on medium/ medium high heat

Strain beef into a bowl and set aside

Add olive to the beef fat in the pot and reduce down by half.

Add all vegetables including tomatoes , but not cilantro

Season with salt

Turn heat down to medium.

Slowly cook the vegetables down for 30-40 minutes, stirring routinely.

With a masher , mash the tomatoes, they should be soft by now.

Add all seasoning. Add meat and meat juice that's in the bowl back in.

Stir

Add beer and wine

Cover with Spring water

Add sausage and cilantro

Salt to taste. Season extra to your taste

Bring to a boil, add the masa.

Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer on low for 7-8 hours, or until the water has evaporated enough to make the chili thick and not watery. ( it's going to be watery at first, that ok, that's the way it's supposed to be). Simmer uncovered to reduce more water, simmer covered to reduce less water.

Don't have your heat too high or bits will burn on the bottom.

Stir every 20-30 minutes, always scraping the bottom for stuck or burnt bits.

It is done when it is a thick, chili consistency. Add more masa or a corn starch slurry to increase thickness.

I will take some toasted whole clove garlic sourdough bread and turn it into bread crumbs in the food processor. And with about an hour left to cook, I add 2-3 cups of those bread crumbs for my final thickening agent. Very flavorful!

To Serve:

You can eat it like ordinary chili

Or

Around these parts we have what's called a

"Gut Pack"

Bowl of Frito chips

Add chili on top

Add more smoked sausage if you desire sliced up

Add smoked brisket if you desire sliced up

Shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Finely diced fresh onion

Finely diced sour pickles

Finely chopped green onion tops ( scallions)

Optional : for more heat - pickled jalapeño slices

Mix the "Gut Pack" together, clear you schedule for 6-8 hours, put some toilet paper in the freezer to get cold, and ENJOY!!!!!!

Absolutely No Beans!!!

This chili is great on its own, as Frito pie, on hot dogs, on nachos, on French fries, as a Gut Pack, on spaghetti, on a baked potato, the possibilities are endless!

• Like 1

Spicy pig cheek and chorizo stew with polenta on the side always hits the spot!

That looks absolutely decadent! Is it a personal recipe or from a restaurant. I'd love to try and make that if you have more information. Cheers.

Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe.

I will hopefully get some time to make this in the coming months and will post back when I do.

Here here! I've just printed it off too- big chilli fiend... I'm not very good in the cooking department, but I'm looking to improve. Can't wait to try this- and I'm not waiting for the weather to cool down, either! Any season's a good one for chilli!!

Insane. Im going for this as well. Looks to good not to. Thankyou for sharing. High thirties low forties (celsius) don,t care ,Texas chilli ,cold beer and cigars to finish.

The bowl in the center is for those girly-men who can't handle their chili and spice!!

Good God, you're not joking when it comes to Sichuan food! Thai food is what you eat to cool off after Sichuan!!!

Here's the recipe for the spicy pig cheek and chorizo, the recipe comes from my butcher and I’ve made a few small alterations.

Serves 4 but quantities can easily be doubled

Ingredients:

500g/1.1lbs pig cheeks

500g/1.1lbs spicy cooking chorizo, thickly sliced

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 large onion, finely chopped

4 cloves garlic chopped

2 green chili peppers de-seeded and chopped

1 dried ancho chili, de-seeded soaked in ½ cup warm dry cider

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

500g/1.1lbs tinned chopped tomatoes

2 tablespoons tomato paste/puree

1 cinnamon stick

1 bay leaf

1 teaspoon dried oregano

2 teaspoons sweet (or hot) smoked paprika

Grated parmesan

Chopped chives

Pig cheek prep:

The pig cheeks I buy come already prepared, with the skin/hair etc removed, saving a bit of prep removing all that. You then just need to remove the fatty membrane from one side. You can put them in whole, but I usually cut each cheek into 2-4 pieces.

Method:

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pot, brown the cheeks and chorizo in batches then remove

Add the onions and cook slowly until softened and starting to brown, then add garlic and cook for 5 mins

Pour in the ½ cup cider and bring to the boil, scraping off any meaty/oniony bits from the bottom of the pan

Return the meats to the pot and combine with all of the remaining ingredients

Bring to boil and simmer gently over a low heat, stirring regularly

Continue to cook, low and slow, for at least 2 hours. 4 hours is better! Stir every 20-30 mins. I cook it with the lid on for 3 hours and then take the lid off for the last hour to reduce to the right consistency

Adjust seasoning towards the end of cooking, I also add extra cider vinegar if it needs it

Grate over some parmesan cheese and scatter with chopped chives

I usually serve this with some fried polenta and a big chunk of bread, but would work fine with pasta, rice, potatoes etc. Bring on the carbs! I sometimes add some whole pitted black olives at the stage where all the other ingredients are added too.

Here's the recipe for the spicy pig cheek and chorizo, the recipe comes from my butcher and I’ve made a few small alterations.

Serves 4 but quantities can easily be doubled

Ingredients:

500g/1.1lbs pig cheeks

500g/1.1lbs spicy cooking chorizo, thickly sliced

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 large onion, finely chopped

4 cloves garlic chopped

2 green chili peppers de-seeded and chopped

1 dried ancho chili, de-seeded soaked in ½ cup warm dry cider

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

500g/1.1lbs tinned chopped tomatoes

2 tablespoons tomato paste/puree

1 cinnamon stick

1 bay leaf

1 teaspoon dried oregano

2 teaspoons sweet (or hot) smoked paprika

Grated parmesan

Chopped chives

Pig cheek prep:

The pig cheeks I buy come already prepared, with the skin/hair etc removed, saving a bit of prep removing all that. You then just need to remove the fatty membrane from one side. You can put them in whole, but I usually cut each cheek into 2-4 pieces.

Method:

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pot, brown the cheeks and chorizo in batches then remove

Add the onions and cook slowly until softened and starting to brown, then add garlic and cook for 5 mins

Pour in the ½ cup cider and bring to the boil, scraping off any meaty/oniony bits from the bottom of the pan

Return the meats to the pot and combine with all of the remaining ingredients

Bring to boil and simmer gently over a low heat, stirring regularly

Continue to cook, low and slow, for at least 2 hours. 4 hours is better! Stir every 20-30 mins. I cook it with the lid on for 3 hours and then take the lid off for the last hour to reduce to the right consistency

Adjust seasoning towards the end of cooking, I also add extra cider vinegar if it needs it

Grate over some parmesan cheese and scatter with chopped chives

I usually serve this with some fried polenta and a big chunk of bread, but would work fine with pasta, rice, potatoes etc. Bring on the carbs! I sometimes add some whole pitted black olives at the stage where all the other ingredients are added too.

Thanks very much for that! thumbsup.gif