Impresive Cigar Collection

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some folks can't handle critique and true discussion.

Nothing against the video or 'Rich!'

But if you are gonna talk about yourself, I am gonna talk about whatever I perceive you to be projecting..... And my perception may be totally debatable.

Ding Ding Ding

The whole video was a big "look at me" post.

Exactly my thoughts. It's great to get the chance to see some of these cigars, but I don't understand the guy's attitude or motivation at all. He's more interested in how much the cigars cost, and how smart an investment he's made, than in the cigars themselves. How many times in the videos does he mention how rare, or impossible to get, or expensive the cigars are? Count that, and then count the number of comments on how the cigars taste, or which ones he really enjoys smoking. He reminds me of some of the guys who buy up all the nice old violins and guitars, put them in a glass case, and never bother to learn to play them. But he loves to take musicians through his place to show them that he owns all these instruments they can't afford to own.

And why can't the musicians afford to play them? Because of people like him, who are willing to spend millions on a violin to let it sit in a vault. Anyway, congratulations to this guy on his collection. I hope the guys who buy the cigars when his heirs auction them enjoy them. I don't think he ever will.

He didn't once say, "this is a really ******* good cigar!" or anything of the sort. Kinda sad really. I'm sure their next owner will enjoy smoking them since he's taking good care of them for him.

Having sealed jars and boxes doesn't make any sense either, I'd def check them for mold over so many years.

very interesting. I'm tempted to say something flippant like 'he is someone who knows the cost of everything but the value of nothing' but I think this is not really the case. I looks more like the cameraman/interviewer was pressing more for the costs.

Anyway, if he doesn't smoke them, they will be at least be well stored vintage stock for whoever buys them from his estate.

Another thing though, since this guy appears to be in the States, isn't this video evidence of his 'trading with the enemy'? Sort of similar to stories we hear of kids being prosecuted based on their self filmed vandalism etc?

Ding Ding Ding

The whole video was a big "look at me" post.

Isn't that part of the purpose of collecting. Enjoying the process, admiring current stock, and showing off to friends. He is proud it and should be. Very amazing stash.

Dude said he buys singles to smoke and boxes to collect. Seems sensible to me.

Nice collection. Nothing wrong with collecting for collecting's sake, IMVHO. There is pleasure in having like there is pleasure in smoking. And he does seem to smoke on occaision. Van and I shared the feeling that once you smoke them, you won't have that pristine full box anymore. Once cracked, boxes go quick in my experience. He's doing it the way I would. Smoke singles.

He also seems to buy and hold, alleviating the buying fakes downstream risk. Wondering where he got his Dunhills and Davis.

Again, nice haul. Salute.

Isn't that part of the purpose of collecting. Enjoying the process, admiring current stock, and showing off to friends. He is proud it and should be. Very amazing stash.

There are definitely varied opinions about collecting and showing off. I don't expect everyone to share my perspective. What seems superficial to one may seem life-affirming to another. Some value humility. Others value material signifiers of success. I don't think there will be consensus on these issues as they get to the core of human behavior and its perception in the social arena.

Stroke em if you got em...

That's my point. The point of the video was not really about the cigars. It was him and his collecrtion. It seems, to me at least,

Like there could be either a mid-life crisis or a Napoleon issue going on.

I can understand the collector because I also have a hard time opening/smoking my rare boxes.

But I cant understand the "hate" that he just collects them. I mean he said he smokes them, buys a box and some singles that he will smoke.... also who knows how many rare boxes he smoked empty?

These type of cigars are also not everyday cigars.

But oh well, one day every cigar should be smoked before they loose their aroma.

I like the video, looking at all these boxes I may never seen before in moving pictures, and having a good smoke myself.

There should be more videos like that, i'd appreciate that alot!

I can understand the collector because I also have a hard time opening/smoking my rare boxes.

But I cant understand the "hate" that he just collects them. I mean he said he smokes them, buys a box and some singles that he will smoke.... also who knows how many rare boxes he smoked empty?

These type of cigars are also not everyday cigars.

But oh well, one day every cigar should be smoked before they loose their aroma.

I like the video, looking at all these boxes I may never seen before in moving pictures, and having a good smoke myself.

There should be more videos like that, i'd appreciate that alot!

Well said! I myself love the collecting aspect of our passion. Yes, he seems to have slight gaps in his knowledge but that's never a crime. I agree that cigars are meant to be smoked but how many of us struggle with cracking an intact box of rare stuff? I struggled with my Chateau Margaux and it was a part box :lol:

I also believe that he mentioned in the 1st video that he'll smoke some Davidoffs with the interviewer later..

Anyway, I enjoyed the video and agree that their should be more of this on here ;)

But I cant understand the "hate" that he just collects them.

I can't understand why saying someone comes off in a video as a tosser means, to some people, that you hate them. And hatred is something I haven't seen in any of these posts.

Reading some of the comments here, I can understand friends with large collections choosing to be and stay anonymous.

Sure, no hatred, but : who needs hobby psychologists giving you pp advice on what to do with your own collection or speculating wildly about your motives ... ?

Sometimes a cigar collection is just that and Napoleon is a long dead dwarf.

And as for sayings :

In Spain there's also a saying that goes :

Ande yo caliente - riase la gente.

As long as I'm happy - let folks laugh.

Also appropiate in this thread would be the German saying :

Neid muss man sich hart erarbeiten - Mitleid bekommt man geschenkt.

You have to work hard to deserve envy - you get pity (compassion) for free

Reading some of the comments here, I can understand friends with large collections choosing to be and stay anonymous.

Sure, no hatred, but : who needs hobby psychologists giving you pp advice on what to do with your own collection or speculating wildly about your motives ... ?

And sometimes a sensible post is just what a thread needs.

Very well put Nino! :thumbsup:

There are definitely varied opinions about collecting and showing off. I don't expect everyone to share my perspective. What seems superficial to one may seem life-affirming to another. Some value humility. Others value material signifiers of success. I don't think there will be consensus on these issues as they get to the core of human behavior and its perception in the social arena.

Stroke em if you got em...

Sums it up perfectly for me, FOH is made up of people from every single walk of life, culture, creed etc.. It's very interesting to see how people view certain things in light of those differences. It's one of the things which makes FOH such fun to take part in. I don't see how people can get hot under the collar about reading different opinions. There is certainly no hate that I have seen, that's a pretty strong word to throw about! Maybe some comments hit a little too close to home for some people?

It does seem a little strange for someone to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a collection but to have great holes in knowledge eg the maduro 5 series being a one time run. If there are such large gaps then that sets of alarm bells as a viewer as to how he bought a lot of those rare cigars, off craigs list etc by falling for well spoken but dodgy sellers.

Think how boring this thread would have been if every single reply had been:

"Nice"

"Lovely"

"Cool"

"Nice"

"Nice"

Some of these posts are so ridiculous. So much jealousy it's insane. Obviously he works hard to be able to purchase these cigars. What he does with them is his choice. Haters gonna hate!

Bravo Nino! Totalmente de acuerdo! (I totally agree with him)

This is a hobby to love, and to enjoy :)