"Aged" REC OCT 02 Romeo Y Julieta Cazadore

WARNING: Take with food.

post-2201-0-17282900-1340464411.jpg

1st third = Smooth and rich. Mild-medium in body and strength. Surprisingly complex. Hazlenut. Nutella. Toasted tobacco and a little cream. Not what I expected-- but a pleasant surprise.

post-2201-0-50384700-1340464425.jpg

2nd third = Building to medium-full. A little bolder now-- heavier if you will-- like more weight has been added to the bar. Espresso. Dark roasted nuts and tobacco. Call me crazy... but there just may be a hint of Smithy's "pine forest" in here.

post-2201-0-37844400-1340464443.jpg

Final third = FULL bodied and STRONG. The BLITZ is now 'game on'! Straight ahead tobacco and earth. Hints of espresso. The cream and nuts are long gone by now. They are the casualties of war. Getting stoned. Intention tremor is worsening to the point I can barely hold my iPhone steady enough to take this pic. Losing daylight. May go blind.

post-2201-0-33315300-1340464461.jpg

Synopsis? This was one helluva awesome Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde roller coaster ride. Never before have I experienced such dramatic changes in a cigar's characteristics from start to finish than with this Cazadore. This cigar was much more complex than all the reviews of its younger relatives have suggested. So much so, that in the end I kinda felt like the victim of a "Hit and Run". Like one of those relationships where you think you're in control only to realize you're the one just got used (i.e. OWNED). LOL.

An overall awesome cigar: 92/100. At 10 years of age these still have plenty of legs, but with even more room to "grow". Can't wait to see how these "babies" continue to evolve :)

I have 2011 specimens incoming-- so look for an upcoming review with compare and contrast to follow.

ENJOY!

Wes

Said it on the other thread, cazzies are Awesome, had an 04 previously, complex and lovely, bought a box of 11s and they're earthy leathery powerful smokes, hoping to see how they progress over the next couple of decades, might need another box though!

Thanks for the review phoenix.

I was considering buying these but all the reviews said they were pretty damn strong, and your review confirms it. Probably going to pass on buying a box but would love to try one someday.

If I would have smoked this Cazadore after dinner rather than before it might have been a completely different experience. Thus the "WARNING: Take with food". Haven't tried the 2011's yet but looking fwd to taking a swing at 'em..

Very nice review. One of my original favorite Cuban cigars & still love them. Wrapping up a box from 09. Next up will be a NOV 2001 box I bought in Cuba Feb 2002. :thumbsup:

Great review! I actually smoked one of these today! I do not know the year as it was gifted to me by "Windmill Michel", from Amsterdam.

The flavor notes you describe are bang on, and I describe the scent as "campfire". Not until the second half did the bombs start to go off. But I managed to stay upright to the last quarter, and then I had to put the sucker down.

Bravo on this review.

Great review! I actually smoked one of these today! I do not know the year as it was gifted to me by "Windmill Michel", from Amsterdam.

The flavor notes you describe are bang on, and I describe the scent as "campfire". Not until the second half did the bombs start to go off. But I managed to stay upright to the last quarter, and then I had to put the sucker down.

Bravo on this review.

Lisa, those were from 2005...

Lisa, those were from 2005...

Well the cigar was wonderful and thank you again! Perhaps after a great bottle wine and a steak next time, not at lunch :-)

I can see why the FOH Toronto boys love these!

• 3 weeks later...

Man I totally here ya with these. I smoked my last of a fiver from 1999 last summer and I was amazed at the strength the cigar still had, it literally probably had another 10years in it if I wanted, and the cigar had great flavor, real rich. These are one of my favs all around, great size, great blend, and always a no nonsense satisfying cigar.

Thank you for the splendid review, Phoenix !

Much enjoyed and has given me a wake up call - I must open my PAS MAR 02 box and start smoking them, with or with out Food :hungry: ...

• 2 weeks later...

Opened up my 2001s. All the strength & full body of the newer ones, but the harsh rustic feel of a fresh Cazadore has mellowed. VERY nice smoke. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

So glad this thread is back! I contributed earlier with a 2005 Caz and loved it but it kicked me in the head :football:

Now I have the pleasure of a box split's worth of 2011's. I just love them!!!

And, Lisa-- don't forget that I gave you an '02 at the HERF from this same box ;)