robert griffin III

a person on that forum sent me a link -

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/1/9232961/robert-griffin-iii-washington-jay-gruden-dan-snyder-mike-shanahan-injury-concussion

this is a really interesting piece which goes over the entire timeline. very revealing.

to me, it makes clear a number of things.

1. the skins were monumentally dysfunctional at the time (mind you, that was no secret). for what it is worth, with scot M as the GM, they have largely turned this around. who knows for how long?

2. blame aplenty to go around.

3. whatever went on, you have to have some sympathy for the kid. he was a 23 year old, tossed into this cesspool. what chance...

4. he goes into what shanahan claims but really only skims the denials. not sure what that means. does he think it is not even worth bothering or does he think shanahan is convincing? the writer does seem to take the rg3 side for most of the piece so perhaps the former? i don't know.

5. i was wrong in saying the doc (james andrews, who i understand is one of america's most highly regarded orthopedic surgeons - i know players from a number of teams use him, even though he is contracted to the skins) said he could not go back in when he was injured. it was later when doc A wanted to hold off allowing rg3 back into the game until the 6th round of the new season but shanahan/management pushed for round 1.

6. that said, there is a clear discrepancy between him and shanahan on what happened. i know it is 'he said/she said' but who do you believe? the highly respected surgeon who could easily be shown to be lying (just need one person to say that he actually did examine rg3) or the coach who is desperately trying to save his job and avoid blame. for me, absolutely no question. it shows that shanahan will lie when it suits him. a strong reason why i have serious credibility issues when it comes to anything he says.

even if this changes nothing for you, i think it is a fascinating report on a tragic trainwreck of a career.

In many ways that piece paints RG3 as a pawn in the Snyder/Shanahan feud, and I think there's definitely some merit to that. I'm no fan of either of the Shanahans, and I don't doubt Mike's propensity to lie when it suits him. It's not a matter of his credibility, or lack thereof, to me. When you go back and look at that disastrous 2013 season, you have Griffin criticizing the play calling, and a clearly frustrated Shanahan throwing his hands up. To me the key question is why wouldn't Shanahan go back to the read option, to try to save their season? To me the only answer that makes sense is that he was told those plays were off the board. Maybe it was solely Snyder who made that call. But if RG3 really was open to running those plays, it seems he and Shanahan could have made a compelling case to restore the read option at least in some small part. At the very least, RG3 was complicit in Snyder's decision to eliminate those plays, if in fact it was Snyder's call. Agree, disagree, fair enough.

I really don't mean to come off as anti-RG3. I think he made some mistakes and was as much to blame for his failure in Washington as anyone. But without a doubt, Snyder and Shanahan both contributed to that failure, too. Beyond the organizational dysfunction, most notably an almost openly feuding owner and head coach, he had the pressure of being the possible savior of one of the largest fan bases in football. Washington had been so bad for so long, which is almost unthinkable for a club of their stature. Then they traded so much in the way of draft picks to get Griffin, and he had such an inspiring rookie year. I don't think any of us could imagine what that pressure must have felt like, let alone as a 23 year old kid. At least in Cleveland, where failure is the only expectation, he gets a fresh start. Of course they have their own brand of dysfunction, but Hue Jackson will be good for him. I'm happy to see he'll have a chance to resurrect his career. The odds are still long, but it's more of an opportunity than most get. The problem is Cleveland will probably take a QB with the #2 pick in the draft, so RG3 will essentially be auditioning for an opportunity with another team. In any event, I wish him well. He was good for the NFL his rookie year. I'd like to see him succeed.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glad this thread popped up as I'm a huge Tom Terrific fan and so happy when someone who isn't gifted works their balls off to make magic happen, while the gifted kids are just a flash in the pan. John

I think the downside is that if Hugh Jackson builds an offense around RGIII's skill sets and he goes down, as he has done a few times before, you have a pocket passer as the back-up in an offense he c

as a diehard browns fan who lives in DC, i cant f*&king escape this guy

In many ways that piece paints RG3 as a pawn in the Snyder/Shanahan feud, and I think there's definitely some merit to that. I'm no fan of either of the Shanahans, and I don't doubt Mike's propensity to lie when it suits him. It's not a matter of his credibility, or lack thereof, to me. When you go back and look at that disastrous 2013 season, you have Griffin criticizing the play calling, and a clearly frustrated Shanahan throwing his hands up. To me the key question is why wouldn't Shanahan go back to the read option, to try to save their season? To me the only answer that makes sense is that he was told those plays were off the board. Maybe it was solely Snyder who made that call. But if RG3 really was open to running those plays, it seems he and Shanahan could have made a compelling case to restore the read option at least in some small part. At the very least, RG3 was complicit in Snyder's decision to eliminate those plays, if in fact it was Snyder's call. Agree, disagree, fair enough.

I really don't mean to come off as anti-RG3. I think he made some mistakes and was as much to blame for his failure in Washington as anyone. But without a doubt, Snyder and Shanahan both contributed to that failure, too. Beyond the organizational dysfunction, most notably an almost openly feuding owner and head coach, he had the pressure of being the possible savior of one of the largest fan bases in football. Washington had been so bad for so long, which is almost unthinkable for a club of their stature. Then they traded so much in the way of draft picks to get Griffin, and he had such an inspiring rookie year. I don't think any of us could imagine what that pressure must have felt like, let alone as a 23 year old kid. At least in Cleveland, where failure is the only expectation, he gets a fresh start. Of course they have their own brand of dysfunction, but Hue Jackson will be good for him. I'm happy to see he'll have a chance to resurrect his career. The odds are still long, but it's more of an opportunity than most get. The problem is Cleveland will probably take a QB with the #2 pick in the draft, so RG3 will essentially be auditioning for an opportunity with another team. In any event, I wish him well. He was good for the NFL his rookie year. I'd like to see him succeed.

i suspect we are much closer on this than we might have first thought. definitely some blame gos to him but yes, i think he was a pawn to an extent.

i wonder if we have taken into account the fact that his injury was limiting at the time - perhaps there was a reluctance till he was fully fit? also, defences worked it out to a large extent.

i am going to be fascinated to see what the browns do. seen reports saying they are still after a QB at 2 and others saying not. if they take one later in the draft, it says to me that rg3 is the starter at least for now. if they take one at 2, it all starts again.

I have nothing against RG3..I hope he has a HoF career in Cleveland..

I think the odds are against him but maybe that's what he needs..

He can't be any worse than Ty Detmer,Tim Couch,Doug Pederson,Spergon Wynn,Kelly Holcomb,Jeff Garcia,Luke Mccown,Trent Dilfer,Charlie Frye,Derek Anderson,Brady Quinn,Ken Dorsey,Bruce Gradkowski,Jake Delhomme,Seneca Wallace,Colt McCoy,Brandon Weeden,Thaddeus Lewis,Brian Hoyer,Jason Cambell,Johnny Manziel,Connor Shaw,Josh Mccown,Austin Davis,

Welcome to football hell Robert!

Go Browns...Our Super Bowl is 30 days away..

I have nothing against RG3..I hope he has a HoF career in Cleveland..

I think the odds are against him but maybe that's what he needs..

He can't be any worse than Ty Detmer,Tim Couch,Doug Pederson,Spergon Wynn,Kelly Holcomb,Jeff Garcia,Luke Mccown,Trent Dilfer,Charlie Frye,Derek Anderson,Brady Quinn,Ken Dorsey,Bruce Gradkowski,Jake Delhomme,Seneca Wallace,Colt McCoy,Brandon Weeden,Thaddeus Lewis,Brian Hoyer,Jason Cambell,Johnny Manziel,Connor Shaw,Josh Mccown,Austin Davis,

Welcome to football hell Robert!

Go Browns...Our Super Bowl is 30 days away..

so do i. be great to see.

i think the browns have had 27 QBs in the last decade, with the skins next worse at 20. and of those 27, only one has a winning record, i believe (could be wrong) and that was only just over the 50%. yes, it won't be easy.

The O line has been an issue for years (at least to me). They have trouble any time they play against a stout defensive line. In the '07 regular season, they almost lost to Baltimore, Philly, and the Giants. You don't have to "stop" his weapons if you can get to TB - it's been shown a number of times. I know they like to get "athletic" O linemen, but they need, and have needed, some immovable objects. Again, just my perspective.

I somewhat agree about taking the weapons away with real pressure on Brady renders him ineffective. However, whenever all his "weapons" have been healthy, moving the ball hasn't been much of an issue. The quick slants always bailed him out when the quick release was required. Problem has been lack of health with the slant receiver, which is especially exposed with such a poor OL.

I somewhat agree about taking the weapons away with real pressure on Brady renders him ineffective. However, whenever all his "weapons" have been healthy, moving the ball hasn't been much of an issue.

I guess it makes him less effective smile.png, but the same holds true for any QB with a revolving door for a line. Generally speaking, a great O line, where they can just rush four, can allow for more pressure on all the receivers.

I guess it makes him less effective smile.png, but the same holds true for any QB with a revolving door for a line. Generally speaking, a great O line, where they can just rush four, can allow for more pressure on all the receivers.

have a look at how rarely rypien was sacked when the skins won the superbowl way back. rypien was about as mobile as a telegraph pole and yet for the entire season, 9 sacks only. and he had a great year. i see where some are now rating that team as the greatest of all time (i'm sure there'll be no debate about that but i offer - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1052969-greatest-super-bowl-teams-ever-1991-washington-redskins-1985-chicago-bears).

would have been interesting to see rg3 behind such a line. or a really good QB.

Yeah, their line was called the hogs for good reason.

yes, that was back in the time when i was in DC. just getting into the game. had no idea how important a top O line was. also, had no idea the skins would not always be one of the great sides. cruel.

• 5 months later...
On March 25, 2016 at 0:03 PM, Blazer said:

I think the downside is that if Hugh Jackson builds an offense around RGIII's skill sets and he goes down, as he has done a few times before, you have a pocket passer as the back-up in an offense he can't run. If this happens you are hitting the reset button, yet again, in Cleveland. I get that Hugh likes him and wanted to draft him before, but if he has been given time by Haslem to truly rebuild why not do it the right way and use your draft QB or at least start McKown who relishes the role of mentor?

Boy, I was confident in my prediction, but didn't think it would happen werk1! RGIII out 8 weeks, Josh McCown in behind a patchwork offensive line. This should be a fun year!

I'm a Browns fan....and what happened yesterday was just so typical Browns...I was not a RG3 fan when he came out. To small,to much hype etc etc. The Browns didn't think Wentz was a top 20 talent that's why they traded pick to Philly. So of course he plays the Browns his first game and looked like Dan f$&@in Marino and RG3 breaks his shoulder (he wasn't the answer anyhow)and we're back to Josh Mccown who is 2-19 in last 21 starts....Go Tribe...

30 minutes ago, brutusthebuckeye said:

I'm a Browns fan....and what happened yesterday was just so typical Browns...I was not a RG3 fan when he came out. To small,to much hype etc etc. The Browns didn't think Wentz was a top 20 talent that's why they traded pick to Philly. So of course he plays the Browns his first game and looked like Dan f$&@in Marino and RG3 breaks his shoulder (he wasn't the answer anyhow)and we're back to Josh Mccown who is 2-19 in last 21 starts....Go Tribe...

Browns fan here too.  Not glad to see him go down as I believe that RGIII can be developed.  That said, the Browns are better with McCown as QB - best Browns QB since The Return.  Unfortunately, he's good enough to get us the third pick in the next draft and not #1 overall. 

RG3 is a gimmick QB..

He can't stand in pocket and look down the barrel and step into pocket to make a throw..he has happy(scared shitless)feet and very inaccurate  

His "default"mode is to run which is fine against Tulsa or Okie St but against teams like Pittspuke and Seattle it doesn't work. 

He was a over hyped "athlete" not a QB..punt returner something like that is wat he is. 

• Like 1

I agree, I think QB play will improve with McCown. The problem is he is not our future and he can't play defense! In order to win, a Browns QB is going to need to outscore the other team cause our defense can't stop anyone! The Steelers hung 38 on the Skins who have one of the best DBs in the league, they may put up 50 on the Brownies.

Glad to see fellow Browns fans on here. 

Going to the whole weekend series vs. the Tigers.  The Cavs are world champs and the Tribe are in the midst of a pennant race.  I'll pretend the Browns don't exist, and since they're as successful as the Washington Generals vs. The Globetrotters, I'm probably on the right track.

It's a shame the Browns just can't figure things out. 

Im 40 yrs old and remember when the Browns were good (85,86,87,88,89,90). 

They have lost a generation + of young fans. 

We already have enough old front runner Steeler fans that were born and raised in Ohio and have no ties to Pennsyltucky or Pittspuke running around. All Steeler fans that I know that live in Ohio are 40-60 yrs of age and they remember seeing mean joe green give some kid his sweaty jersey and a bottle of Coke. Of course the Browns sucked then so lots of people in Ohio jumped on the bandwagon. Now those people have passed the front running down to there kids and I have to hear my 7 yr old come home from school and tell me some kid in his class said the Steelers are the best and the Browns suck. I have much respect for the Stoolers and there organization I just wish the Clowns would give us something to be proud of instead of being the laughing stock of NFL. And all Steeler fans that are born and raised in Ohio and don't have an aunt or uncle or cousin that is from or lived in Pittspuke move to Pittspuke please cuz u guys are the worst. Thanks rant over. 

Terrelle Pryor can throw too. Don't worry it's only a joke

Browns will rebuid in 3 years as they will have plenty picks, but there's still high risk of it, QB in the next draft seems only better than this year, Watson is mediocre in first 2 weeks, and Kaaya too, you can select many small names who are really good, but speaking to Browns experience about that.........