robert griffin III

No irony intended; I think the Giants way overpaid for Eli. QB v. QB, I think Rivers is a better player. Time will tell. This past season makes me look wrong, as something was clearly wrong with Rivers this year, but if it was my team, I'd still take Rivers today, and if you threw in a first round pick, a third round pick and a fifth round pick, I'd be ecstatic. And don't forget, that draft also produced Roethlisberger, who also has two rings, and didn't cost Pittsburgh three additional draft picks. That said, I think it's misguided to make super bowl rings the primary criteria by which to assess a QB. By that yardstick, Jim McMahon was a better QB than Dan Marino.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glad this thread popped up as I'm a huge Tom Terrific fan and so happy when someone who isn't gifted works their balls off to make magic happen, while the gifted kids are just a flash in the pan. John

I think the downside is that if Hugh Jackson builds an offense around RGIII's skill sets and he goes down, as he has done a few times before, you have a pocket passer as the back-up in an offense he c

as a diehard browns fan who lives in DC, i cant f*&king escape this guy

This was a magnificent coup of a trade. --for the Rams. This is how the skins do, though; think one guy will make a great team. Reminds me of when Ditka traded the Saints' immediate future for Ricky Williams. Maybe it will work, as some long shots have paid off, but it occurs to me that the great franchises don't do things this way.

WOW! That was exactly what I was going to post.. The trade for Ricky Williams.. I guess that's why we were in the same fantasy league together..

I did see one game where RG3 played and he was pretty spectacular, so we'll see. Hope he doesn't turn out to be a Reggie Bush (although Bush was pretty good this past season)

On a sidenote, I saw the 1/4back and I thought, "what the hell is a one fourth back? :confused: ".. then it dawned on me.. :shead:

i understand what you are saying and very often in team sports, one sees a great player never get the top gong. i remember that there was a lot of discussion for several years suggesting michael jordan would never end up winning the comp with the bulls. of course, that changed. everyone has seen endless examples of high picks, and number ones, falling well short, and much lower picks becoming stars. will continue to happen (though i suspect that there will be less and less failures in the very top picks as there will be evermore scrutiny of them - but just as many lower guys stepping up). in the afl here, we have a similar draft. plenty of very high picks have not stepped up. and vice versa. there is no team in the comp that would not have given their left eye for simon black - he has been the most consistent player for a decade or more. a superstar of the game in every way. never a hint of trouble. three flags, every award etc etc

and yet he went round 7.

if judging was purely on number of superbowls, you'd say eli was better than peyton. i don't think anyone is suggesting that. won't get into the rivers one.

but who do you think is really the happy team/management/fans from the eli trade? in the end, pretty much everything a team and their admin does is designed to win the superbowl. either now or down the track. on that basis, surely the giants have the better of it. if eli had not been so crucial to them, you coudl say otherwise, but in reality, no eli and they have no superbowls (another great 1/4back might have got them there but great 1/4backs are extremely thin on the ground). that is why i think the rg3 trade is worth the punt.

I suspect that if I were a Redskins fan I'd feel the same way you do. I still disagree about the Manning-Rivers trade, though. I don't agree that Eli is the one indispensable part of the Giants' team, without whom they wouldn't have done it. I mean, they also have one of the best D-lines I've seen in a very very ling time.

Who's the happier team? Well, the Super Bowl champions, of course. But that trade didn't get them there. The Chargers have made lots of their own bad decisions, but that trade wasn't one of them.

I suspect that if I were a Redskins fan I'd feel the same way you do. I still disagree about the Manning-Rivers trade, though. I don't agree that Eli is the one indispensable part of the Giants' team, without whom they wouldn't have done it. I mean, they also have one of the best D-lines I've seen in a very very ling time.

Who's the happier team? Well, the Super Bowl champions, of course. But that trade didn't get them there. The Chargers have made lots of their own bad decisions, but that trade wasn't one of them.

Bingo. Give me an outstanding line on both sides of the ball and I'll have a better chance than with 1 stud QB and nothing else. I can understand trying to make a splash to sell tickets, but isn't the point of this whole thing to win?

I would like to chime in once again. Yes, I realize the fact that I am a proud Baylor Alumni who has watched Baylor football in the trenches for years emerge like a Phoenix, rising from the ashes, makes me bias.

I watched every single game!

However, What most people didn't understand about RG3 during the season, and a material fact that was never discussed, and the main reason why RG3 is better in every catergoty then Andrew Luck.

RG3 won games, shattered records, and won the Heisman with a very mediocre rest of a team. No one discussed this fact. His O-line was horrible, the Baylor defense (esepcially secondary) was comical at best, and he really only had one shining receiver. He was still able to do what he did and lead his team to vicotry surround by mediocrity. That is true leadership, that is true talent.

I can't imagine what greater feats could have been accomplished with more talent in just ONE extra supporing area: O-Line, Defense, Receivers. Andrew Luck had support in all 3.

Bottom line is , Andrew Luck is a great QB, no denying that, but can you really make an argument that he is better than RG3 in any category????

RG3 was basically uncatchable and uncontainable for the most part all season with a horrific O-line, and against some of the best defenses in the country. Can you imagine what he will be like with Pro talent on O-line and pro depth at the receiver spot. He may not have the "size" whatever that is worth these days, but it doesn't matter your size if you can't be caught.

I also make a strong argument that more so than any other position these days, that in recent years the gap between the size, talent, skill and abilites between most college defensive players and pro defensive players, has really shortened. Most D-1 Defensive lines are the same sizes, speeds, and skills of many pro D-lines, just probably faster and more agile.

Surrounding RG3 with pro depth adn pro talent, you are liable to see some amazing things happen this year, and he will prove himself to everyone, unlike any other QB we've seen in recent decades.

• Like 1

imagine finding oneself in agreement with a cowboys fan????

i guess we won't know for a few years re this trade though it seems to me that it might be another where both sides are happy.

worth noting that if one has a close look at all the "polls" out there, most think it was too much. the ones that don't, and favour the trade, are those focusing on skins fans (you'd hope so, too) and also those from texas - which i presume are people who have seen a fair bit of this kid. so i figure if cowboys fans can say something positive about what the redskins have done, he must be superman. of course, the skins could still end up with luck.

Ken we are in agreement! Superman indeed

post-8544-0-88758700-1331682368.jpg

post-8544-0-77898000-1331682369.jpg

Everyone needs to keep in mind that we are not talking about your normal athlete. Athletes like RG3 only come around every couple of decades or so. What he has accomplished on the field, off the field and in the classroom, are traits in an athlete, much less an everyday human, that you just don't see that much.

His skill level, abilities, talent, dedication, integrity, work ethic, intelligence and character combine to make an athlete that is abnormal at best and only graces out presence every so often.

When was the last time you heard people say these things about any athlete, much less Andrew Luck????????????????????

“He’s got to be a strong Heisman candidate. I was walking by Manny’s office… he said, ‘I’ve never seen this many deep touchdown passes in my coaching career.” –Mack Brown

"Revel in the wonders of Robert Griffin, players like this don't come around often." - Stewart Mandel - Sports Illustrated

"He's Jim Thorpe all over again, but with a heck of a lot more speed!" - Bill Snyder

"Find a Create-A-Player option in your favorite video game and max out every attribute, that's Griffin!" - Austin Meek

"I can't imagine a better Quarterback in any football in America right now." - Tommy Tuberville

And Many ,Many more.

PS: I guarantee you if you took an IQ test of every QB in the NFL right now, RG3 would put them to shame!

I've also never ever seen a QB lead block the way RG3 does. I'm pretty sure he is also the first Heisman Trophy winner to win after coming back from season ending knee surgery = Dedication, Talent, Natural Skill.

needless to say, the morons at the skins head office have apparently transgressed with the salary cap payments, along with the cowgirls, and so we have been fined $36 mill, i believe. so all the plans to provide him with all the support and protection a first year 1/4back needs are up in synder-smoke. assume that was why they backed off jackson and left him to the bucs, tho garcon not a bad get. and assume that this is why they will probably not go near nicks. much rather him go to the bucs than the eagles tho.

it just might be that synder ends up being the kyrptonite to rg3's superman!

• 4 months later...

Skins really didnt have anything to lose considering their flacid quarterback situation. This guy has great potential. Just remains to be seen.

If he performs nobody will give a damn about the draft choices. If not? :lol3:

I guess the most important thing at this point is for the Skins to actually sign RG3. As of now...still no contract signed. Indianapolis has not yet managed to sign Luck either. What's going on with the NFL? I thought the Collective Bargaining Agreement creating a tiered pay system for rookies was going to alleviate all this contract controversy. Doesn't help to you to just draft a potential superstar...you've gotta actually sign him to a contract if you want him to play for you...

Ken, I'm curious. How did you get to be such an avid Redskins fan?

apols, just saw this. i lived in DC very late 80's/early 90's - working as a lawyer. i had always enjoyed the game from the little we saw back then out here but had lived in london for a few years and they had a really good coverage of it. where i lived (london house) was full of americans and canadians etc and so it was very popular (a mate who ran the bar who was so upset when the broncos lost that he would close it - made most of us bronco fans at the time). when i arrived in DC (and i'd never been to the states before this), i was collected at the airport by a friend and she took us straight to georgetown to a sports bar to watch the skins win. i forget who it was against but i think the saints. all a blur. but i just love dit. and loved the way the whole town is so fanatical. even managed to scalp tickets to see them play the cowgirls. that was the year they won the bowl and the cowgirls only won 2-3 games. this was at home but they managed to lose it. and the temperature peaked around minus 300!! so cold. but great fun.

been a skins fan ever since. will die one.

apols, just saw this. i lived in DC very late 80's/early 90's - working as a lawyer. i had always enjoyed the game from the little we saw back then out here but had lived in london for a few years and they had a really good coverage of it. where i lived (london house) was full of americans and canadians etc and so it was very popular (a mate who ran the bar who was so upset when the broncos lost that he would close it - made most of us bronco fans at the time). when i arrived in DC (and i'd never been to the states before this), i was collected at the airport by a friend and she took us straight to georgetown to a sports bar to watch the skins win. i forget who it was against but i think the saints. all a blur. but i just love dit. and loved the way the whole town is so fanatical. even managed to scalp tickets to see them play the cowgirls. that was the year they won the bowl and the cowgirls only won 2-3 games. this was at home but they managed to lose it. and the temperature peaked around minus 300!! so cold. but great fun.

been a skins fan ever since. will die one.

Ken, on page 2 I posted new videos for you.

I think RG3 is better and more mature than Ryan Leaf, but we will see how his pro career pans out.

If i was a gamblin man ...i would bet the house on this kid being a BUST ....just my 2 cents...Note:if the Browns would have drafted him i would of bet my parents house 2....

If i was a gamblin man ...i would bet the house on this kid being a BUST ....just my 2 cents...Note:if the Browns would have drafted him i would of bet my parents house 2....

is that because of him or because he was drafted by the skins? - the latter i can understand.

Ken, I thought you would like to see the new RG3 commercial:

http://www.youtube.c...S?v=caDMnUbVmh4

and the one previous:

ta for those. i'd seen the first one, not the second. they must be paying him a motza!

i see where that matt barkley said he'd have gone ahead of rg3 if he'd nominated. i've not seen much about but if he can play at that level, he must be something. at least he is not lacking confidence.

can't wait for the season. going to mean up at 4am on a few mondays.

Him. I think he is to small ...and to much hype ..

What does size matter when no one can catch you???

FYI, he's roughly the same size as Michael Vick, but with a much higher intelligence, faster and a more accurate arm!