Plume or Mould?

Plume or Mould?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looks like mold, but unless there is some massive amount somewhere else in the box, I wouldn't worry about it for a second. Just wipe it off, and make sure they are stored in proper conditions from now on.

Mold, but it's okay, wipe it off and you should be fine.

Yes.

Check temp and humidity if they became like this while in your posession.

If they didn't arrive moldy and musty, as revealed by your inspection upon receiving them, then there really isn't anything to be done except as Dbone commented. If they did arrive this way, seriously, I'd still be inclined to dust them off and return them to your storage system. If you manage the conditions of storage properly, it should not progress beyond what you see here. And of course, check them, along with the rest of your stock, a few times a year.

Mold and mold spores are likely found on the vast majority of agricultural products. If you don't see the visible mold, which is just the fruiting bodies of mold, that just means conditions haven't enabled them to reproduce.

Wilkey

I don't put anything moldy in my mouth. Sorry.

I would pitch it and save the rest. Is it no accident that it is the one on the end, near the wood?

And make sure none on the feet? Isn't that what you guys always say?

Lisa

definitly mold but should be able to save it if you follow everyone's advice as well i would keep a close eye on the RH and temp of your humidor from now on as well as rather then using water use propalineglicol

I would pitch it and save the rest. Is it no accident that it is the one on the end, near the wood?

Lisa

Mold is not mold is not mold. Sooooo, you don't eat Bleu cheese, Stilton, or Brie? And that's just among the cheeses.

Actually what I say is as long as there is just a touch here and there and it is only of the fluffy white kind, dust off and stop worrying (because the risk to quality and health is generally nil). In my experience, white mold is much less common on the cut foot. It is most common on the wrapper and often tracks the border between two layers of the capa.

If the mold is brown, grey, or any other color other than white, then you've potentially got a problem. These colored molds generally accompany a clearly present mustiness in cold smell as well as smoking. This is a terrible thing and IMO, cigars in this condition are unsalvageable. However, I have been happily smoking for years from the occasional box or cab that has persistent spots of fluffy white mold.

But for the most part, "if it's white, it's alright" obviously unless there's a ton of it.

Wilkey

Mold is not mold is not mold. Sooooo, you don't eat Bleu cheese, Stilton, or Brie? And that's just among the cheeses.

Actually what I say is as long as there is just a touch here and there and it is only of the fluffy white kind, dust off and stop worrying (because the risk to quality and health is generally nil). In my experience, white mold is much less common on the cut foot. It is most common on the wrapper and often tracks the border between two layers of the capa.

If the mold is brown, grey, or any other color other than white, then you've potentially got a problem. These colored molds generally accompany a clearly present mustiness in cold smell as well as smoking. This is a terrible thing and IMO, cigars in this condition are unsalvageable. However, I have been happily smoking for years from the occasional box or cab that has persistent spots of fluffy white mold.

But for the most part, "if it's white, it's alright" obviously unless there's a ton of it.

Wilkey

Thanks for the post Wilkey, and I agree that people seem to forget that mold is ingested in many other forms.

This is ridiculous. I don't know one single cigar shop keeper who's not dealing with light cases of mold regularly. Everyday thousands of people smoke cigars that have been moldy at one time or another…

(Not to mention the green mold on Roquefort…)

To clarify, I did not mean to sound like an obsessive compulsive. To be honest I do not like Blue Cheese, but that is a flavour thing, nothing to do with mold. I just don't like moldy cigars. Overly plumely ones either since it it often so hard to tell the difference.

Please feel free to disagree, and enjoy your cigars as you please.

L

is there any mold forming around the foot of the cigar? Overall that doesn't look to catastrophic, like others said just brush the mold of and you're good to go

To make you feel better, when I started smoking I purchased a 5x3 pack of Hoyo Epi 2, and had a similar mold situation. I brushed the mold off immediately, and they never returned again after almost 2 years, they're amongst the tastiest sticks in my humidor too. Enjoy

To clarify, I did not mean to sound like an obsessive compulsive. To be honest I do not like Blue Cheese, but that is a flavour thing, nothing to do with mold. I just don't like moldy cigars. Overly plumely ones either since it it often so hard to tell the difference.

Please feel free to disagree, and enjoy your cigars as you please.

L

No worries. We all have our likes and dislikes.

In cigars, though, mold has a practical ramification that goes beyond the personal sense of aversion. The issue I'm thinking of is what the appearance of mold on just-received cigars means with respect to return of goods. Disliking does not perfectly equate to acceptable conditions customary for return and replacement. Therein lies the rub. I think what the experienced smokers are trying to convey when responding to questions about mold is that it helps to know the specifics and that this will contribute to an appropriate response.

Wilkey

PS. I didn't like Bleu Cheese for most of my life. Then I tried a very good one with the right accompaniment and it opened my mind. Epoisses, though, that fromage takes some guts.

Hello All,

Thank you very much for your thoughts on this. I wasn't too worried considering it appeared to be very minor and none of the other sticks in the box seem affected. The foot was fine and mould was only found on the outside wrapper. To Beaver's point, that stick was right beside the spacer block which might have attracted more moisture. I am quite meticulous when it comes to monitoring and maintaining a proper environment for my cigars, so at first I was very surprised. Upon further thought however I think there might be a small lesson to be learned here.

That box of PSD4s was at the bottom of my coolidor, which is located on the floor of my basement. I open it very infrequently and the floor temperature can be quite cool (15 degrees C) while the air temperature of the basement sits at about 18 degrees. I am positing that the relative humidity near the floor of the coolidor was much higher than the upper levels. Given the lack of air circulation and the heat-sink effect of being in direct contact with the cold concrete floor I am guessing a layered RH effect might have occurred inside of the coolidor. My hygro showed 64%, but it was positioned at the top. I will test this theory out by repositioning my hygo near the bottom. That said, I think the lesson to be learned here is to insulate the coolidor from direct contact with the floor. This should eliminate the heat-sink effect and result in a consistant temperature throughout the entire coolidor. I could be wrong, but it seems to make sense to me. I'll let you know how my tests turn out.

Thanks again!

That box of PSD4s was at the bottom of my coolidor, which is located on the floor of my basement. I open it very infrequently and the floor temperature can be quite cool (15 degrees C) while the air temperature of the basement sits at about 18 degrees.

I have 2 big tupperdors + 1 coolidor. Whenever I've found a case of mold (a few spots) it was at the bottom (which is colder but wherethe RH is not really higher), in boxes that haven't been open for several months.

Lisa

It is no accident that it is the end stick. Same with dress boxes, these are usually the first sticks to show mold. More moisture and less air circulation.

UPDATE

I repositioned the hygo in my coolidor a couple of times since my last post and discovered the following:

1. In the original position, near the top, it registered 17 degrees C @ 71 RH

2. When moved to the bottom of the coolidor it registered 16 degrees C @ 74 RH

It appears my theory seems to be holding true but I am curious to see if others are measuring similar deltas in their "basement" coolidors. Going forward I think l'll rotate the boxes in my coolidor every other month in addition to insulating it from direct contact with the basement floor.

Getting back to the original topic of this thread, does anyone have a picture of a well plumed cigar they can share? I'd really like to see that for comparison purposes.

HH, do you have any air circulation in your cooler like a Oust fan? I have two fans in my 48 qt cooler, and i'm at 65% RH on the bottom and 64% on top of the cooler. Maybe that will help you out.

Unless you have a custom made humidor, and very sophisticated one at that, the temp and humidity will usually always vary within the inside. My cabinet has a few small computer fans mounted on the back wall and turn on for one minute, every fifteen minutes. But nonetheless, like HH, i still had discrepancies. You know what I did, brother? I dropped a few, I think three or four, pounds of beads which really help even things out. With that much beads I've not had any mold. I had a few like your box there in the past, but the beads, which I place near the door (incase of non-perfect seal) and then on top of boxes where I can find room. It's just a suggestion.

One other thing. I just buy the beads and use plain colorless nylon stockings (like from the drugstore) instead of the nylon bags that come with them. Instead of one pound for one bag, you can break that stuff up into four or five stockings! Just the stockings seem much lighter and breathable, also they don't smell like the bags do... TO ME anyway lol. Seems like you're on the right track, good luck :peace: