Plume or Mould?

Plume or Mould?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mold, I had a couple cigars with the same issue. I have a desktop and the cigars in the top tray got a couple spots on em from being near the humidifier. Just wiped em off, kept them sperate from the other cigars and smoked them rather soon after the discovery the tasted fine. I've also switched my humidity system to correct the problems

Hello All,

Thank you very much for your thoughts on this. I wasn't too worried considering it appeared to be very minor and none of the other sticks in the box seem affected. The foot was fine and mould was only found on the outside wrapper. To Beaver's point, that stick was right beside the spacer block which might have attracted more moisture. I am quite meticulous when it comes to monitoring and maintaining a proper environment for my cigars, so at first I was very surprised. Upon further thought however I think there might be a small lesson to be learned here.

That box of PSD4s was at the bottom of my coolidor, which is located on the floor of my basement. I open it very infrequently and the floor temperature can be quite cool (15 degrees C) while the air temperature of the basement sits at about 18 degrees. I am positing that the relative humidity near the floor of the coolidor was much higher than the upper levels. Given the lack of air circulation and the heat-sink effect of being in direct contact with the cold concrete floor I am guessing a layered RH effect might have occurred inside of the coolidor. My hygro showed 64%, but it was positioned at the top. I will test this theory out by repositioning my hygo near the bottom. That said, I think the lesson to be learned here is to insulate the coolidor from direct contact with the floor. This should eliminate the heat-sink effect and result in a consistant temperature throughout the entire coolidor. I could be wrong, but it seems to make sense to me. I'll let you know how my tests turn out.

Thanks again!

LOL. Yes, you're correct, in a way. Like smallclub stated, and like your numbers show, it's not really higher RH. Well, it is and it isn't. It's a lower temp, thereby giving a higher humidity reading by a point or two, due to the temperature differential. But, the water vapour content in the air is generally the same.

What I've found it to essentially be is like a condensation point. The coldest surface, bottom of the coolerdors, gets a condensation vapour layer almost, depending on temperature differential and the general RH level.

I've experienced the same, and have worked out a very snazzy correction. I will actually be updating my "CanuckSARTech's Custom Humidor Cabinet" thread regarding this issue in the next few hours or so, with pictures and whatnot. Funny timing with this.