Rafael Gonzala Corona Extra - URL MAR 01

asmith

I got so excited thinking that this was Lisa posting something from the last LFTH that didnt sell...LOL

Ha ha - my thought exactly!

These are great sticks - farewell and "up yours" to HSA for killing them :tantrum:

Great review, love the plant analogy. Never ever had a RG and to be honest the brand never caught my attention.

I can only remember them being sold in Cuba and even there they were on the highest shelves pushed to the back and I had no intention on trying one at the time. Hopefully I'll be able to find a single somewhere so I can have some idea what the brand is about.

Great review guys and in a way, unique also.

Unique in the sense that the Rafael González Coronas Extra is a cigar that

has a certain similitude with the deck.

A deck that has a history ,

A deck that was custom made for the ladies & lords, even a Lonsdale.

A deck that has the old time look and charm of the past labeled all over.

A deck where the wood is present but also surounded by the warm spices & aromas while

sharing some tastings with friends.

I would have loved to see the RG Coronas Extra, as the deck, also move forward into the future.

More space for its development , a bolder appearance but with the same and even richer

appetizing soul.

I'm sad that another Corona Gorda will not be following the same path as the deck.

Sat down with Piggy a few weeks ago and had the opportunity to smoke one of these cigars also from 01. It was a great cigar. Piggy is going to love this review. Pulled the trigger on a box a couple days ago.

-Patrick

Smithy and Rob, thank you for the last hoorah. I can't help but think you will somehow miss that deck. Well actually I think I will. Carry on, great review thanks.

Good review! Too sad this cigar has been deleted, I only discovered them last year, where I really had to push my local cigar shop to get them to try a few boxes. (which sold out in a matter of days)... Well, my box has 5 years on them, lets see if I have the patience to let them rest for another few years.

One of the most underrated cigars in all the Habanos lineup. I have about 8 of these sticks left and they are about 10 years of age old. HSA made a big mistake to delete these cigars from the market. Just recently purchased a box of Rafael petit coronas, I hope they hold up well against the corona extras!

And a great message! Thank you Laficion.

Best,

Michel

Great review guys and in a way, unique also.

Unique in the sense that the Rafael González Coronas Extra is a cigar that

has a certain similitude with the deck.

A deck that has a history ,

A deck that was custom made for the ladies & lords, even a Lonsdale.

A deck that has the old time look and charm of the past labeled all over.

A deck where the wood is present but also surounded by the warm spices & aromas while

sharing some tastings with friends.

I would have loved to see the RG Coronas Extra, as the deck, also move forward into the future.

More space for its development , a bolder appearance but with the same and even richer

appetizing soul.

I'm sad that another Corona Gorda will not be following the same path as the deck.

These fall under the "local brand" catergory, which I take has been a conscious marketing decision? I'm not quite sure I follow the idea

of relaunching them as ELs or as part of a Heritage program after they've been deleted.

Why not just keep them in production but market them globally (they can always fancy up the box).

Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the review gents. One of my favorite Corona Gordas. They will be missed.

These fall under the "local brand" catergory, which I take has been a conscious marketing decision? I'm not quite sure I follow the idea

of relaunching them as ELs or as part of a Heritage program after they've been deleted.

Why not just keep them in production but market them globally (they can always fancy up the box).

Thanks for the review.

Ross, the biggest problem with a global marketing push for the RGCE (and others like it) is that the global retail B&M landscape has changed (particularly outside of the USA).

Legislation in many countries has not only cut back display area in traditional tobacconists but also the ability to promote a new or existing cigar via a campaign (print/digital media).

So what occurs is that traditional retailers through no fault of their own go back to displaying what sells....Cohiba, Monte, Partagas, cheapies in larger short gauges. The public buys them, sales of RA,RG,SP, etc keep sliding.....a self perpetuating cycle.

Slight change in packaging, a 10 count box (ala RA Superiores), reintroduce it via a HSA campaign working hand in hand with distributors/retailers and it stands a chance of being successful.

Back at this again!

Price the cigars to sell and the tobacconist will sell them! The fact is, many cigar smokers are not connoisseurs, they are lay people. We all started somewhere and most of us were mentored by another, or by experience and the school of hardknocks! The single stick buyer is swayed by the promotion. The lack of sales is due to a rigid price structure, ignorance of the consumer and laziness on the part of the tobacconist. You put that together with a tobacconist who wants to see the highest margin cigar sell and you have a failure. This is a set-up to failure. It is a world of folks who don't give a **** about making or selling the best products as long as they have "a" product that sells.

Mediocrity is the "E" ticket to failure. -The Pig

... the video! Have not watched it yet. The last time I watched you guys review an RG you were drunker than stiffs filled with formaldehyde. It put your objectivity in doubt... but what else is new? -LOL

Smithy... "I don't what to give him much credit.... -LOL" You guys are killing me here!!!

Well mates I feel honored that I was immortalized by this video the last on the Czar deck. I am pleased as well that the cigar performed for you as they have for me.

This forum is a part of the answer to cigar promotion and so is your video series. Tobacconists and enthusiasts together must be willing to share their collective experience and guide those willing to experience the best of the Habanos line (subject to the rules of personal opinion of course). This is what I do here, and I know you guys do it too. Your honesty (and your willingness to buy dinner) is what keeps me here! This is what sells cigars to enthusiasts; other enthusiasts. Now I have to kick the soapbox from under my feet and I am gonna' just bask in the afterglow!!!

Cheers my friends, -Ray

Back at this again!

Price the cigars to sell and the tobacconist will sell them!

Pigster you have to think outside of internet sales and take the majority of countries in the Key markets (Europe/Asia etc).

Add distribution freight +$400(+) a kilo in Duties + VAT/GST of 10-17% (on all input costs). Distributor margin of 30% (on top), Retailer 50% (after paying VAT/GST again on distributor purchase).

That stick of RGCE may arrive to the distributor from HSA at $3-00. By the time it is on the retailer shelves it is $19.50 - $25. in most countries. In some places more.

Let's say HSA gave them away for a $1 to the distributors. The end price remarkably doesn't change a whole lot.

On the net the price ranges anywhere from say $7 - $11

Again, take out the purchase, distribution and pricing costs in a no tax environment and the margins are pretty skinny. It is a connundrum. The B&M's have been the foundation of relationship building in the cigar world. The Net retailers destroy them on price. They B&M slowly die and one of the great links to developing a love of cigars (such as RGCE) disappears as well.

In FOH our vision has always been to meld the best of traditional B&M with the best of what the internet has to offer. It is a hoot to do the vid reviews because we are continually learning and having our own opinions (sometimes entrenched) challenged. I agree there should be more of it (around the world) in order to illuminate some of these great cigars that are stuggling.

I don't begrudge HSA with their pricing. Their distributor pricing is generally fair on general cigars. However retailers globally could certainly use a more (some) co-ordinated

marketing/promotional support. Wouldn't it be great if we could send out 1000 RGCE caps with the next 1000 boxes of cigars...or a RGCE ashtray...or Lighter.

No HSA....I won't do a Monte Open Promo with caps/ashtray or lighter :D