A Dazzling Trip Back In Time.

El Presidente

Our Cuban mate Punchy is going to be doing a series of articles for FOH.

Enjoy :clap:

A dazzling trip back in time by Punch Joe

Not often do we have the chance to sense the majestic touch of timeless art. Especially with tobacco-related items. Last week I decided to pay a visit to an old friend who has been the keeper of very rare tobacco items from the past. It wasn´t my intention to check on his collection but he wanted to show me some amazing gems still treasured as family heritage. He actually inherited those from his Grandfather, a former tobacco salesman working for Partagás for quite some time.

Many stories to be told, but his Grandfather worked closely to a Swiss entrepreneur at Weitnauer and Co, importers of Cuban Cigars in Basel circa 1951 and he went there a few times. His grandson shows me now the price catalogues in Switzerland. Holy smoke! Got some shots of the pieces to best illustrate the moment. That´s where I found out that Ramón Allones comprised a size range from Allones 1 to Allones 5 since 1934. Cool. I thought Montecristo was the pioneer in the numbering vitolas.

post-4-1307308761.jpg

post-4-1307308804.jpg

post-4-1307310236.jpg

post-4-1307309456.jpg

Indeed I was lucky enough to lay my hands on those old price catalogues but even luckier when I saw the beautiful items that were brought to me in total confidence and mystery. My first reaction was a mix of intrigue and respect. I sure was witnessing history recreated in front of my eyes. How often do you feel that way?

First I couldn´t believe my eyes so I felt that I should put this under scrutiny before getting any hints from my old friend. It´s a wooden briefcase! - I exclaimed but to my surprise there was more to discover. An old Partagás iron-stamped logo in the top cover was a sharp sign of what´s inside. Oh boy…It´s a Partagás sampler briefcase with a wide array of sizes, 31 actually from the 50´s with all the cigars beautifully arranged and glass covered to keep them preserved from dust and humidity. For a humble smoker as I am, this is a very emotional trip to my past. Have you ever heard of the Partagás Lanceros? Well, take a look at the fine print on the inside cover. It appears marked with No 3 and finely iron-stamped there. What about a Partagás Panetela? No 11 for you to delight. Maybe a Petit Corona Especiales will suit you fine? Choose the No 12. El Laguito, get a clue! I swear I heard a crack from the distance.

post-4-1307308907.jpg

post-4-1307308972.jpg

post-4-1307309012.jpg

post-4-1307309061.jpg

You don´t see that on any Encyclopedia of cigars or surfing the Web. After carefully contemplating this for long time, I took some pictures with a pocket camera for you to wonder at yourselves.

Ah…Let the good times roll. What a great job it must have been. I could easily picture those guys strolling down the streets in a perfect suit visiting the cigar stores or going door to door to show the merchandise to potential customers. Paying round visits to old friends and getting gifted with a hot cup of coffee and taste the satisfaction along with the smokes.

But wait there´s more! Now I am presented with a Romeo and Julieta sampler briefcase as well. I let the pictures do the talking. It reads Muestras (Samples) on the front. So nice.

post-4-1307309134.jpg

post-4-1307309178.jpg

It´s with deep joy and satisfaction that I must acknowledge the art and the passion of those who created such beautiful samplers and put their heart and soul into the tobacco business. Still they make us proud in every detail. I know they were blazing a trail for us to follow. So sad as somewhere we have lost the way.

So sad as somewhere we have lost the way.

Punchy,

I truly believe that the time will come for those like yourself and others to bring back some of the lost luster. Can it ever be like it once was? Probably not -

money talks. But there is surely a place in the world for artisans - cash doesn't always have to be the bottom line.

I love the feeling of history we can sometimes get - I've felt it walking the streets of Paris, I feel it walking around the streets of Boston. Thanks José,

thanks RA.

:clap::clap:

José, that is just FANTASTIC

Your friend is more then just a family collector of old tobacco Items,

he is a guardian of Cuban tobacco history with a very big H

Thank you so much for sharing with us these two beautiful gems.

I'm sure that we would all have loved being there with you to feel & share the emotions.

How fantastic , you can just see them , finely pressed suit, hat with sharp crease to front, handsome and shoes that have a high gloss shine.... I love that era when everyone dressed gorgeously and it was all class..

Thanks honey for posting this... what amazing history

How fantastic , you can just see them , finely pressed suit, hat with sharp crease to front, handsome and shoes that have a high gloss shine.... I love that era when everyone dressed gorgeously and it was all class..

Thanks honey for posting this... what amazing history

Exactly that: a memorial to a departed elegance. Lovely. Exquisite.

Lighting up a smoke now as I sit down to share "To Have and Have Not" with my teenaged son. He aspires to a sense of "cool." It's time he saw Bogart define the idea. It's the same principle as those pressed suits and nice hats that Lisa mentions.