Math question  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I happen to be in a math class this semeter, albeit a refresher class, since I didn't do well on the placement test. To many years have passed since I was in school.

My $120 calculator says the answer is 288. I have one of those graphing/scientific ones and it's never wrong. :(

Machines don't agree either. :angry:

headasplode.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comedy.

May all ye seekers of 'objective truth' be referred to a discipline called....

Philosophy of Mathematics

clearly this equation is open to multiple interpretations

lighten up folks....

I got 2. I have taken plenty of post-graduate mathematics courses. Step away from the keyboard. Pick up a pencil.

:o

So this is what happens when I don't check in for a couple of days!

You guys all must have better eyes than I do... cause I don't see a division symbol!!! All I see are plus signs!

I say 72... -LOL

I AM SO CONFUSED, I just got PI when I tried :)

Tried again and talked with my Fiancee, she says 2 and explained it to me! You must distribute the 2 to the 9+3.

That is correct, if we assume that multiplication by juxtaposition takes a higher precedence. Distributing the 2 is simply multiplication. But that's the vagueness to be answered. There is conflicting information on this. And the problem with giving the juxtaposition higher precedence is that technically, it is incorrect, as that is not found in the standard order of operations.

The only answer is that it is a poorly written question. But if we want to adhere strictly to the rules, the answer is 288. If we want to assume that multiplication by juxtaposition takes higher precedence than explicit signs, than the answer is 2.

Actually, I think this is a pretty good example not of math, but of how people perceive things.

It's intentionally vague. Hopefully the author intended for it to be that way. If not, it's just a poorly written expression.

Agree. it's obviously good forum spamfodder as well :)

have to laugh at all these people who say "it has to be this". "there is only one answer". etc

Written Math is a language like any other, subject to the same consensus and compromise on its symbols and terminology

and btw, in many places "÷" means nothing, they only use ":" or "/"!

and btw, in many places "÷" means nothing, they only use ":" or "/"!

Yep, that's why the way this was written is tricky. When people are using the ÷ sign, they are doing it at a young age, before algebra and distribution/multiplication. When people are older and multiplying by using an expression such as 2(10), they are not using the ÷ sign. So mixing these things up in the same equation throws people a bit, and causes confusion. What I'm curious about is whether this was intentionally done, in which case it's very clever, or if it was done by accident, in which case, not so clever. :)

This was fun reading. It is also sad to see the degradation of knowledge and education in favour of online tools like Google, who after all only provide as good answers as the programmer behind the code. And knowing Google this code is usually very raw, unrefined and buggy.

Stamping my foot on the subject the answer is 2. This based on assuming the setup of the problem as

------

2(9+3)

If the intent is different then the problem should have been formulated differently. It's a classic example of getting the answers you ask for....

I was one of the folks that mentioned that Google gave 288 but I also said that excel, python, and matlab also gave 288. Moreover, google has some of the best minds of our era working for them and they have made excellent contributions to art and science and will go on to do great things.

just saying.

you are totally correct, if you assume the setup of the problem is

------

2(9+3) then you get 2.

the problem is that it is not set up as such. It is set up rather poorly, but the way its set up, the answer is 288.

ok, I PROMISE this is my last post on this thread.

Very interesting thread. Im so glad that there are so many intelligent people on here and that the critical thinking level is very high amongst the FOH BOTL's. No matter if people said 2 or 288, we had very good reasons for our answers.

d

INo matter if people said 2 or 288, we had very good reasons for our answers.

d

Hmmm..anyone else find it troubling that answers to math equations can be defended like an opinion? :clap:;)

Here's one for ya!!

You have to choose one or the other.

Option1: $50 Million in cash right here right now.

or...

Option2: Over 30 days. A penny a day, doubled every day.

What would you choose?

Hmmm..anyone else find it troubling that answers to math equations can be defended like an opinion? :clap:;)

Here's one for ya!!

You have to choose one or the other.

Option1: $50 Million in cash right here right now.

or...

Option2: Over 30 days. A penny a day, doubled every day.

What would you choose?

Ahh, the old penny a day doubled every day puzzle. Haven't seen this one in over 30+ years. I'll take the penny, thank you very much. Amazing what a little compounding will do.

Ahh, the old penny a day doubled every day puzzle. Haven't seen this one in over 30+ years. I'll take the penny, thank you very much. Amazing what a little compounding will do.

I think option 1 would be better. I messed up my spreadsheet calcs and used 1.0 not 0.01 a day. Over 30 days it's $5+ million. So $50 million would be the better choice. I really need to stay out of the math based threads. :clap: It's not my forte'.

I would take the $50 mill right here right now so I could quit my job today and not have to work for another month. :clap:

I would normally have picked the penny option but I really like Clint's view of this. Why wait another month working. I think I could get by okay with just the $50 million up front

I would normally have picked the penny option but I really like Clint's view of this. Why wait another month working. I think I could get by okay with just the $50 million up front

True. If one has enough vacation in their bank. Offer that up as notice and take the month off smoking cigars while you collect your penny a day/doubled. ;) I made a mistake of making Option 1 $50 million. It should have been lower. The penny scheme pays off $5 million. See below.

Day 1 $0.01

Day 2 $0.02

Day 3 $0.04

Day 4 $0.08

Day 5 $0.16

Day 6 $0.32

Day 7 $0.64

Day 8 $1.28

Day 9 $2.56

Day 10 $5.12

Day 11 $10.24

Day 12 $20.48

Day 13 $40.96

Day 14 $81.92

Day 15 $163.84

Day 16 $327.68

Day 17 $655.36

Day 18 $1,310.72

Day 19 $2,621.44

Day 20 $5,242.88

Day 21 $10,485.76

Day 22 $20,971.52

Day 23 $41,943.04

Day 24 $83,886.08

Day 25 $167,772.16

Day 26 $335,544.32

Day 27 $671,088.64

Day 28 $1,342,177.28

Day 29 $2,684,354.56

Day 30 $5,368,709.12

I do believe I'm threadjacking now though. :clap: FireDigger. I can delete if you like. Let me know.

I interpreted that everything after the division sign should be in the denominator, which gave me an answer of 2

I'm really surprised how evenly split the polling is on this so far

Why do you think I call it a metaphor for US politics?

True. If one has enough vacation in their bank. Offer that up as notice and take the month off smoking cigars while you collect your penny a day/doubled. :D I made a mistake of making Option 1 $50 million. It should have been lower. The penny scheme pays off $5 million.

I do believe I'm threadjacking now though. :D FireDigger. I can delete if you like. Let me know.

Doesn't it pay off $10,737,418.23 if you keep the money from all 30 days? Still, option 1 of course!

To all interested in Algebra, remember this acronym which tells you what to do first, second, third, the..... PEMDAS or Please Excuse Dear Aunt Sally (Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiply, Divide, Add and Subtract). 288 is correct. I teach this to 5th graders. First, the parenthesis' always come before additions, subtactions, multiplications, so add the parenthesis(9+3=12). Next, divide (48/2= 24). Then MULTIPLY the two answers (24x12=288). Remember, there is no space between the original 2(9.....so it means multiply those two answers to get the final answer. Good job to the 288ers! :D