Math question  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I believe its jerko**

hehe

No, it is definitely "formulas," that is, if you speak English, and not latin. As a rule, I'm for Englishizing latin words if they are used commonly, but it is just a matter of convention.

Regarding the argument at issue, though. I think you are a little over the top, as regards to the importance of getting this answer right. It is just a matter of convention.

It's not like claiming there's no global warming, or intelligent design is a legitimate explanatory theory.

But it's weird that people are confused . . . what would people say if you just stuck the "times" notation: Z ÷ Y • (X + W)

Presumably people would lose the confusion.

Best,

Pete

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all interested in Algebra, remember this acronym which tells you what to do first, second, third, the..... PEMDAS or Please Excuse Dear Aunt Sally (Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiply, Divide, Add and Subtract). 288 is correct. I teach this to 5th graders. First, the parenthesis' always come before additions, subtactions, multiplications, so add the parenthesis(9+3=12). Next, divide (48/2= 24). Then MULTIPLY the two answers (24x12=288). Remember, there is no space between the original 2(9.....so it means multiply those two answers to get the final answer. Good job to the 288ers! :lol:

am i missing something? you have multiply before divide in the acronym but you divide before multiplying. ????