Math question  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The difference of opinion is due to the interpretation of the problem.

For those answering 288, you see the problem as 48÷2*(9+3).

For those answering 2, you see the problem as 48÷(2(9+3)).

I think the answer is 288 because I don't think you can include the 2 into the bracket rule. Once you are done with 9+3, you are done with the bracket/parentheses. 2 is outside of the bracket, so it becomes 2(12) or 2*12. From there, you have to execute the division before you multiply.

Are anyone familiar with WolframAlpha? They have the same interpretation as me: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48%C3%B72%289%2B3%29

Even Texas Instruments can't decide on this, but it seems like they've made the correction on the later Ti-86 model:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9549/headasplode.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 is the answer. For those getting 288, you can't divide 48 by 2 until you've done the bracket. BEDMAS.

"doing the bracket" means adding 9 and 3. The operation you are doing is a multiplication (2*12) which you cant do until you do the division first 48/2.

Ok, im getting a little frustrated h

again,

you do 9+3 first

then 48/2

then 24*12

BEDMAS is meaningless unless you realize its

B

E exponents and roots left to right

D and M from left to right

A and S from left to right

It's really quite simple...

(48 ÷ 2) x (9 + 3) = 288 = 48÷2(9+3)

The difference of opinion is due to the interpretation of the problem.

For those answering 288, you see the problem as 48÷2*(9+3).

For those answering 2, you see the problem as 48÷(2(9+3)).

I think the answer is 288 because I don't think you can include the 2 into the bracket rule. Once you are done with 9+3, you are done with the bracket/parentheses. 2 is outside of the bracket, so it becomes 2(12) or 2*12. From there, you have to execute the division before you multiply.

Are anyone familiar with WolframAlpha? They have the same interpretation as me: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48%C3%B72%289%2B3%29

Even Texas Instruments can't decide on this, but it seems like they've made the correction on the later Ti-86 model:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9549/headasplode.jpg

Its not an interpretation or opinion. There is a right and a wrong answer. 288 is right and 2 is wrong.

If simple formulas like this were up for "interpretation" so you realize how crippled all of science would be? I have used formulas that are several chalkboards long, and if we didn't know the correct order of operations, we would be totally lost.

again, its not opinion or interpretation...its people who were taught correctly and people who were not or forgot.

d

Its not an interpretation or opinion. There is a right and a wrong answer. 288 is right and 2 is wrong.

If simple formulas like this were up for "interpretation" so you realize how crippled all of science would be? I have used formulas that are several chalkboards long, and if we didn't know the correct order of operations, we would be totally lost.

again, its not opinion or interpretation...its people who were taught correctly and people who were not or forgot.

d

I agree with you that there is one correct answer and this equation should not be open to interpretations. What I meant is that those who answer 2 seems to believe (9+3) is in the denominator (hence, their interpretation of the problem is wrong).

how long does it take to dig half a hole? :lol3:

I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with which hemisphere you're in, and how near to, or far from, the equator you are.

But perhaps you can help me with these:

Is it a harmonica, or an harmonica?

Is it submariner as in marinate, or submariner as in submarine with an er on the end?

I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with which hemisphere you're in, and how near to, or far from, the equator you are.

But perhaps you can help me with these:

Is it a harmonica, or an harmonica?

Is it submariner as in marinate, or submariner as in submarine with an er on the end?

Submariner,with the er.....dunno about tuther,but I'm off for an haircut.....

it's 2. BODMAS is all I'll say.

BODMAS indicates when there is both multiplication and division, you go from left to right first. So you should be dividing 48 by 2, then multiplying what was in the brackets.