A time ago when a Habano was a Havana. Last part

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part 1 For centuries , a lot has been written about the Havana cigar, In it's 500 years of recorded history, everything about our beloved Havanas has been said or written, The land, the soil, the s

I had some free time last night so I made this into a PDF. It's about 7MB. You can download it here.

Great stuff Guy. I noticed in the second last image the blurb about the "Tweenies", "made from the little leaves which grow at the top of the plant". Medio Tiempo wasn't always so special then huh?

Great Reading, and many thanks for taking the time to reproduce this intersting little booklet for all to enjoy. It's interesting to see how attitudes have changed over the past 70+ years. Back then, smoking a cigar after dinner, at sporting events ,etc. was not only permissable, it was considered the "proper thing to do". Now the anti-smoking Nazis have made it so socially unacceptable, one has to travel to the middle of the desert to feel safe smoking his after dinner cigar.

Arthur

Great stuff. I enjoyed reading it and look forward to more. Thanks for sharing with us.

Just finished. Thanks again, Guy.

A lot of the cigars look like they have a pretty extreme box-pressed. Sort of like a Padron today.

Even some of the perfecto shapes look like they are box-pressed.

Is it just my imagination? A quirk of the photography? Or were cigars of that day really that box-pressed?

• 3 years later...

Hi there and thanks for the information in the post.

I have been trying to find out about Martins of PIccadilly since I found this matchbook and thought I'd try to add a few images to add to the story. I should add the matchbook is huge- 5.5" by 5"

Thanks again to the original scanner of the booklet

John

post-21147-0-60403300-1404626078_thumb.j

post-21147-0-92719500-1404626106_thumb.j

post-21147-0-97178600-1404626117_thumb.j

post-21147-0-34566400-1404626131_thumb.j

post-21147-0-71260700-1404626165_thumb.j

I'm glad this topic was bumped otherwise I may have never seen it!

What a fantastic read! One of the things I love so much about cigars is the world that goes with it and the etiquette from days gone by. This is a really good look into the past! Excellent!

I am very happy to discover this wonderful old post of Guy as I didn't know of the existence of this booklet. Note that Charles Graves was the brother of the poet Robert Graves (the “I, Claudius” author, among other things).

Best,

Michel

A few years back, I put the images together as a pdf. If Guy gives the OK, I'll post it here, as I think PDFs are downloadable (though it may be too large).

Of course, you have my o.k. Ross !!!!! and thank you bro..

Guy

That would be great Ross! Many thanks in advance for attempting to do it. And again, many thanks to Guy for making this booklet available to us.

Best,

Michel

Such a great pieec of information and history, thank you very much for the read Guy!

I agree with Grahamsant, I would have missed that post had it not been bumped by jackinedinburgh. Thanks mate!

Sorry guys, the full res version is 31mb, a downsized version 10mb - both of which are too large to upload. I should have checked before mentioning it.

It's O.K. Ross,It was good of you,Thanks anyway !!!!!Cheers.party.gif

Sorry guys, the full res version is 31mb, a downsized version 10mb - both of which are too large to upload. I should have checked before mentioning it.

you can upload them to a site like yousendit and post the link here. I would be interested!