Band or no Band

Band or no Band  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was enjoying my usual Sunday afternoon cigar, nothing memorable to mention a pardon 1926 Serie No. 2 that was one dimensional flavours of nuts and coffee, when I remembered a discussion I had with Smithy on our deck. He noticed I had removed the band off my cigar as soon as I started smoking it and we had a small drunken discussion as to why would someone remove or keep the band on a cigar whilst enjoying the experience.

I personally love how a cigar looks in my hand without the band; it allows me to travel in time imagining that the roller just finished rolling it specifically for me.

I would be very interested to know how you enjoy smoking your cigar.

Cheers,

Elie.

First, I feel the band before lighting and if I think I can get it off, I will. If it seems glued to the wrapper, I smoke it down close to the band and then take it off after the heat loosens the glue. I prefer the band to be off.

I always leave my band on, so I voted accordingly. To me, a cigar with a band (some of the latter are works of art) adds to the aesthetic appeal, and a stick without one looks naked. When puffing an Havana, my forefinger is placed over the band. Only when the coal (burn zone) reaches it, do I remove that paper ring. I also leave the band on for practical reasons, for fear that if I remove it, the precious wrapper might be damaged in the process.

Good subject Ellie.

I voted yes, I do tend to remove the band when I smoke.

Partly because I often keep them but also because I nub most of my cigars or at least the ones that I'm enjoying and I find the band gets in the way.

i recently have been removing the band from my cigar either prior to lighting or as i'm a quarter way through. as time goes on i think i will eventually remove it prior to lighting all the time. a few months ago i was reading something about cigar etiquette when with a group of people. it says that removing the band before lighting would remove any people's feeling of 'your cigar brand is better or worse than mine'. so, if i fired up a Cohiba CC and someone else was smoking a NC something or another it wouldn't give the impression of 'my cigar is better'. of course, if someone asks what you're smoking if the band is off then you would have to say..

in my mind, i know what cigar i'm smoking so taking the band off is no big deal. i just want to enjoy the smoke either solo or with people.

I leave the band on until it is loose enough to fall off or impedes with my enjoyment of the cigar. It could be all in my head, but it seems like I'm more likely to get an even burn if I rotate the cigar after each draw. Keeping the band on lets me know how much I've rotated the cigar and which side of the cigar burns more/less even.

I think the rules of etiquette that dicko is referencing comes from Zino Davidoff's Guide to Cigar Etiquette. I've read through his rules and I understand his intentions, but in my opinion his rules should be viewed only as a good list of general suggestions. Some of his rules definitely need to be broken as I don't agree with them all.

I leave the band on until the cigar burns down near it. Not only do I find bands on most CC's difficult to remove, but I also like to be able to remind myself what I'm smoking (or at least contemplate the cigar in all it's original glory!)

Frankly, I think the old etiquette of removing bands is outmoded now. However, I consider leaving it on something I do for myself, not for show. So, I usually hold my cigar with the label facing down... same when resting in an ashtray.

I leave the band on, unless it is extremely loose or annoying to remain in place. Generally, I take them off once I'm in the final third. I save the bands, and paste them into a Cigar Dossier that I keep, so I don't like/want them to get burnt or damaged if possible. If they have too much glue on them, and it would potentially damage the wrapper to pull them off once I'm in the last third, I wait until the heat from a nub starts to loosen the band.

Interesting thread - I'm enjoying reading everyone's replies. Lots of variety - exactly why there's a Coke and a Pepsi.

I like the look of the band on the cigar. Reminds me of what I'm smoking...not that I have short term memory loss or something. I take it off when I nub the cigar. Like lingerie, I'll take it off (not me) at the very last second to enjoy. To each his own.