Band or no Band

Band or no Band  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll usually take the band off as soon as it will come off "without incident"...unless I'm around the pool with suntan lotion on my hands, etc and will then keep it on to keep the cigar from getting greasy/wet

I don't ever really put any thought into what anybody else thinks of me...I'm too old to give a s*** about other people

I generally leave bands on until about half-way through. Then I will check to see how easily it might come off. I don't have a problem leaving them on until forced to remove them out of necessity. I try to keep them in one piece when removing them.

I don't like bands but usually don't take them off until they are getting close to burning. Except that these days there has been a massive proliferation in bands and some cigars are covered in them such as the upmann magnum50 or hoyo especial.

I like to be able to see my cigars and I am most certainly not a fan of this new band craze. It is very much what you get with non-cubans. Used to prefer my upmann connie 1's naked and I will be very upset if Habanos SA start f^&ing around with my other favourite marcas such as monte and bolivar.

I generally leave the band on. If it will slide off easily, I might remove it at any time while smoking. If it needs to be peeled

off, I'll usually wait until I've smoked down to it.

I did not vote because I am likely to do just about anything depending on my mood! Typically it is exactly as Colt has described. I almost always see if it is loose and will rotate on the cigar.

Like most cigar characteristics I have studied my behavior with bands and even though I prefer cigars without them they do have a practical characteristic while smoking. Over the past two years between medications and arthritis I seem to have less feelings in my hands. My hands used to be very dexterous and I could locate the smallest of parts and thread nuts, bolts etcetera in the most obscure places; header bolts, transmission mounting bolts, starter bolts and so on. You gear-heads will relate! Unfortunately I drop all sorts of things now; typically small items with little stiction. This would include pills, pencils, coins and even cigars. As a result I drop my cigar now and again. I have found that the band tends to keep a dryer cigar, one that is cut deeply as I like, from unraveling, even if shocked with the impact of dropping it. I see them now (cigar bands) as kind of a "child safety seat" for the fat fingered smoker... like me! -Piggy

*Not only do I leave the bands on, I like to make sure the front of the band design is pointing out front, not the side or back or anything. I always smoke alone. Usually, as it is reaching the band level, it's about time to put it aside anyway. If I've got one of those great cigars that are good all the way down to the nub, I just scoot the band up, up until up to my lips. Yes, I like and respect the appearance of the band - just for me.

Always remove the band as soon it is possible to take it off,unless I'm smoking something that I WANT the others to see ;-)))))

I enjoy the look and feel of the band so I leave it on until the glue has warmed up enough to remove it if I want to nub the smoke. I always try to remove the bands without destroying their round shape and without damaging the wrapper so it can be a bit of a challenge sometimes.

I tend to leave bands on until at least halfway down. I agree with Johnnie Walkers statement, leave the band on until you decide whether or not you will smoke it past it.

I tend to leave bands on until at least halfway down. I agree with Johnnie Walkers statement, leave the band on until you decide whether or not you will smoke it past it.

As others have stated I tend to also take it off about midpoint due to not wanting to damage the wrap initially.

• 2 weeks later...
First, I feel the band before lighting and if I think I can get it off, I will. If it seems glued to the wrapper, I smoke it down close to the band and then take it off after the heat loosens the glue. I prefer the band to be off.

I do the exact same

I voted "No". However, I do removed the band when I smoke, just not until the carbon line gets close to it. I won't say it is because I am worried about damaging the wrapper, that may play a part in the decision, but i find myself keeping the bands on even when they will slide off easily. For me, cigar bands, for the most part, are not just part of a cigar's packaging, but rather small works of art unto themselves. Granted some are better than others. While a Sancho Panza or Rafael Gonzalez band may not be much, I love the Robaina, Cohiba, Hoyo and many other bands. When I smoke, I not only enjoy the taste and craftsmanship of the cigar, but the artistry and the printing technology that goes into the band as well. While I love my CCs, in all honesty, I have to admit, the NCs trump the CCs when it comes to cigar band appeal. The Opus X bands are quite a sight to behold IMHO.

I usually leave it on until toward the end as well. No particular reason, but for some I've noticed you'd have to force it off, so it's definitely worth waiting until later. Different in the case of Fonsecas which I take off first to remove the white wrapper.