Australian Cigar Fightback.

Sam (habanablue) organized yesterday in Sydney a historic coming together of Australia's major cigar retailers (Wal Baranow, John Alexander/Simon Devlin/Norman Stein/Sol Levy/Ray Battistela/Myself). It has never happened before. A miracle in itself WELL DONE SAM! :D

The purpose was claw back the rights of cigar lovers. Both a retail association was formed as well as a separate consumer association which we need Australian members to fully support, run and manage.

I will provide more details over the coming weeks but we will support the consumer group ( Tentatively called "Cigar Rights Australia") with events in all capital cities. Together we will raise funds and lobby independently the federal and State Governments for the right to enjoy our hobby in peace. The funding will in major part go toward a full time campaign organizer.

As I said more details to come but for the fist time we will have an effective Industry and consumer organization which are separate but unified in purpose and supported by the founding members which are the countries leading retailers coast to coast.

For the Aussies, I know you will really get behind this. lets claw back some of the freedoms we have lost and unite with lovers of the leaf across the country in a unified cause.

Yesterday was a very good day for the "Australian cigar Industry" :clap:

:clap:

Congratulations Sam & Rob, a great initiative, bravo!!!!!!!

I would like to see something like this done in Europe or at least in France :clap:

Everyone is complaining but, the only ones who are getting the job

done here are the " Defence for non-smokers Associations " :D

Everyone is being brought to court, retailers, outdoor cafés, cigar magazines,

Cigar Clubs, etc etc. BUT NOTHING SERIOUS is being done to stop this,"back to INQUISITION" .

I would think that it's because, here and in most parts of Europe, we have ,more or less,

created a highly individualistic society. :D

Good on ya, gents. We unfortunately also need something like this in Canada, too. Hopefully you guys are able to work with whatever government you end up having coming out of the chaos.

Best wishes on this endeavour!

Great news Rob! I assume you will be creating something like this?

Another great organization. The only problem is, is when/if I do choose to support various organizations, I hate being inundated with sales pitches. Their webpage almost looks more like an online storefront, rather than that of a respectible organization. They need to stop selling samplers, and tote bags, and other things of the like, and just focus on their primary intent to work with legislators. My thoughts, anyways.

Rob, these groups have classically received cooperative support from manufactures and distributors even if they are not disclosed. While working for Yamaha, I experienced many such cooperative efforts from politics to advertising. You guys should pressure both H SA and PCC for funding for your venture. It would be money well spent on their parts. I hope this works well for you guys.

The best defense is a good offense, I alway say! -R

Brilliant,

i have a few questions, (and you all have my support)

Should PCC Worry about such a get together, we are talking about distributors of 95% of their Australian business, getting together and talking in a positive amicable way. ? you have one hell of a buying Group there don’t you. (and i am sure any group negotiated conditions and volume buying power would be passed on to us poor unfortunate consumer)

who brings/suppliers the cigars to such a get together and what was smoked ?

there are some fine people in the group mentioned, i hope the need for the collective Greater need overrides the individual, as all will benefit in the long Run.

Good luck

Spiro

Brilliant,

i have a few questions, (and you all have my support)

Should PCC Worry about such a get together, we are talking about distributors of 95% of their Australian business, getting together and talking in a positive amicable way. ? you have one hell of a buying Group there don’t you. (and i am sure any group negotiated conditions and volume buying power would be passed on to us poor unfortunate consumer)

who brings/suppliers the cigars to such a get together and what was smoked ?

there are some fine people in the group mentioned, i hope the need for the collective Greater need overrides the individual, as all will benefit in the long Run.

Good luck

Spiro

Spiro

PCC (Angelo/Brett) were there with us at the conference. Everything is out in the open and they are fully supportive (and they supplied the cigars for the day :peace: )

This is not about retailers getting together for buying power. This is about enacting legislative change at a state and federal for the benefit of all cigar lovers in this country. Enough is enough.

We will work from two angles 1. Retailer Association and 2. Consumer Association. For this to work we will need all Aussies to support the second but we will provide the tools to do so.

Each of the retailers there has an equal share/say in the new Association and we are of common mind on the objectives and methods to achieve it. Distributors such as PCC will support the Organisation. It is in the interests of all to work together.

This truly is a great concept you can count on my support 100%

Thanks guys

Spiro

PCC (Angelo/Brett) were there with us at the conference. Everything is out in the open and they are fully supportive (and they supplied the cigars for the day :peace: )

This is not about retailers getting together for buying power. This is about enacting legislative change at a state and federal for the benefit of all cigar lovers in this country. Enough is enough.

We will work from two angles 1. Retailer Association and 2. Consumer Association. For this to work we will need all Aussies to support the second but we will provide the tools to do so.

Each of the retailers there has an equal share/say in the new Association and we are of common mind on the objectives and methods to achieve it. Distributors such as PCC will support the Organisation. It is in the interests of all to work together.

Thanks Rob, Point taken,

First we need a Government :wacko:

ha ha good point - maybe you should have a whip round to bribe these independent MPs (sorry - i mean "fund the campaigns of") into making cigar rights a bottom line for their support.

for a few dollars you will achieve in a day more than you could achieve through govt lobbying over 10 years. "Hung parliaments" make for huge lobbying opportunities!