for guys who have been around Cuban cigars for some time

This is a question for guys who have been around Cuban cigars for some time. What would you have done differently if you were starting again. I am talking here about purchasing, collecting etc. Any regrets? Any pieces of wisdom.

FOH has plenty of new members who are new to Cuban cigars who I think would benefit from /appreciate the advice of members who have been collecting and smoking Cuban cigars for 5/10/15 years +

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over 10 years for me - started when I was 18 and got my army bounty - ran out and bought a desktop humidor and a box of Le Hoyo Des Dieux....I called it an investment and everyone thought I was being a fool....by luck rather than design I think it actually has been - I've got much more out of cigars than the money it has cost me.

Probably the most common advice that will come up is go big early in terms of storage, as you'll quickly use up a desktop or similar.

Otherwise, all I can say is smoke what you like, and be completely open-minded about trying things. Don't pile straight into Cohiba and Montecristo and sod the rest - they're great but pound for pound the best are hidden amongst the ranks of Partagas, Bolivar, PL etc. (imo)

Don't get do hung up about tasting either. There are guys out there who can take one draw and taste crushed pan toasted almonds....perhaps from Morocco....with a hint of Bolivian coffee - whereas to me it tastes a bit nutty and rich. Just call it as you see it and enjoy!

Do consider what you drink at the same time as well, although there are no rules. I've picked up the Asian habit of a bit of coke (as in the drink) sometimes which for me actually works quite well. You don't always need to have 20 year old rum, and sometimes I find spirits to be completely overpowering for lighter bodied cigars.

[EDIT] and in terms of doing things differently, I should have learned quicker never to smoke on an empty stomach...makes me feel ill every time :cigar:

This won't apply to all, but I would have started sooner. After quite a bit of research, I narrowed it down to two merchants I felt comfortable about.

But still, I waited literally two years or so before I finally pulled the trigger - I've lost track of how many times I filled a cart, only to empty it last second.

Otherwise, I'd say trust yourself. Use what you read and hear as a guide, but ultimately decide for yourself what's right for you.

Buy singles first than buy a box or boxes if you really like the cigar!!

Don't do what I did and buy boxes before trying singles to sample than you find out your not a big fan of them.

Trust me 20 + years smoking cigars and alot of money wasted was not wise on my end so I give this wisdom to you.It will put you in debt if not smart !! :cigar:

Also learn as much as you can from the long time smokers from all angles most will have differant views on cigars but it will help you build a foundation to your new loved hobby.

Buy singles first than buy a box or boxes if you really like the cigar!!

Don't do what I did and buy boxes before trying singles to sample than you find out your not a big fan of them.

Trust me 20 + years smoking cigars and alot of money wasted was not wise on my end so I give this wisdom to you.It will put you in debt if not smart !! :cigar:

Also learn as much as you can from the long time smokers from all angles most will have differant views on cigars but it will help you build a foundation to your new loved hobby.

Great advice Jimmy, you summed it up.

Singles are the way to go and if one likes a particular cigar, then by all means buy a box or two.

I personally know what I love and having now been frequenting FOH, I have learnt a great deal more from so many people. Sometimes what is learnt is very subtle but invaluable. The reviews section is a great example and a wealth of knowledge.

Was lucky to have a cigar smoking father, who taught me how to select, light and hold cigars. Regret not having shared more cigars with him and not taking his advice on buying more cigars for laying down. In general did not set aside enough cigars, especially cigars with "backbone" as he put it.

First I would have started way sooner too.

Also I second Jimmy2's advise of buying singles, 5 packs or 10 packs to try. This is what I did and it helped me immensley.

I bought an endtable aristocrat humidor and outgrew it within a year. :cigar: Bought my chilled cabinet and now have both.

When buying humidors stretch your budget! You will not regret it!!!

Go, smoke cigars and prosper. . . The Kat

Here's my winning playbook built on trial and error:

Find good, honest tobacconists and build long-lasting relationships. Your being here is a damn good start.

Be very selective with what you put down. You want the whole enchilada. Beautiful wrapper, proper bunching and construction, uniformity and wonderful aroma.

Once you commit to a box, stick with it. Trust your instincts and don't bail out. Don't give them away, smoke them too fast or sell them off. Try at various intervals to see how they are progressing. Store them properly.

If you can afford the special humidors and books, God bless you. If you can't, don't blow the budget on one thing when you can buy 10 boxes of high quality "regular production".

Take a shot on special releases, be it Limited Editions or Regionals, but don't forget about what you always come home to.

Try not to get caught up in "vintage", age your own and you'll be happy with what you end up with. You'll know exactly where they came from and how they were stored.

Lastly, tastes and preferences will change. Some days, months and years you will love the skinnies, other times, the fatties. What you aren't "into" at the moment, put further back in the humidor and forget about them. Someday down the road you will be happy you kept them around.

Lastly, tastes and preferences will change. Some days, months and years you will love the skinnies, other times, the fatties. What you aren't "into" at the moment, put further back in the humidor and forget about them. Someday down the road you will be happy you kept them around.

aye

Jimmy hit the nail on the head. I'm speaking in general of my whole cigar journey. Wish I would have exercised more restraint and bought singles first then boxes.

And, truly, I wish forums like this existed way back when. I mean, true upstanding forums like FOH, not cheesy ones with members who post pics of naked women and post F this and SOB that.

BTW, I get my naked women pics from another site. LOL. But when it comes to cigars sites, I like it pure....it's my sanctuary.

Great advice one and all. I will post this thread in the classics section when completed.

I am also a big believer in singles. Quality singles. I would only add that tasting one cigar is not enough to gauge a true opinion.

When ordering singles, ask your vendor for three of each and that they be selected from different boxes and different vintages (where possible). Ask for the box codes. It is a pain in the arse but worthwhile.

Take your time! Rome wasn't built in a day and acknowledge it will take 5 years to really get an understanding of Cuban cigars. I still learn every week and positions I thought were gospel are consistently challenged.

Don't be intimidated but also don't be too opinionated. Take the middle ground as in this industry/hobby there are precious few absolutes.

I still have a chuckle when I read "buy TEB JUN 07 this or that" or avoid 2001. When you see tens of thousands of cigars every year you understand how hollow such advice can be.

Buy what is best. Aroma, Wrapper, construction. Secondary is the box code. Ask the vendors advice and hold them to account. Try to know what you are buying and that it is the best quality possible. There is nothing worse than having 30% of your inventory in substandard stock.

Thanks for all the awesome advice. I really appreciate it- I will take all into consideration. I agree with the singles though- I have been into cigars for roughly 5 years but do not call myself any master quite yet :D. I am more excelled in some areas/ aspects of cigars- especially cubans. I really value the knowledge presented on this forum. Thanks again to all who have responded!

Regret not having recorded my cigar experiences better and more frequently. It would be interesting today to have a more complete record of what I smoked over the last 25+ years and my impressions. Even better would be the digital audio/visual options available today.

I picked up my first humidor 10 years ago.

"SIMPLE" Advise for new comers:

-Learn how to buy cigars.

-Learn how to smoke cigars.

Get yourself a sampler such as this:

PC_Sampler.jpg

-Smoke both Cuban and non cubans

-Try diff drinks along with various cigars.

DONT OVER COMPLICATE THINGS!

If I had a chance to start over, I would have kept review notes on what I have tried.

Regret not having recorded my cigar experiences better and more frequently. It would be interesting today to have a more complete record of what I smoked over the last 25+ years and my impressions. Even better would be the digital audio/visual options available today.

Great point there mate, I always ponder on the thought of what a great item a diary would be with notes of the cigars I have had over the years. Looking back on something like that with 40 or so years of smoking in it would be a treasure of the highest value.

*How 'bout us gals who've been around Cubans for awhile... :D What I wouldn't do is change my 1st real intro. to Cubans on my own ability. It was a Statos de Luxe, mediocre smoke, I know...but it was a magical experience for me. What I definitely would change is the amount of money I spent on anything with a label - or a band. Bought very many el Falso's as well as definite authentics. Be sure to verify your source for habanos for guaranteed authentics (such as Rob's & Lisa's site here!) You'll have very little regret.

I dont have any regrets in my dozen years of purchasing.

But to answer the question about what I would have differently - I would have smoked my aged cigars before they they lost their charm. Its worthless having boxes of cigars that USED TO taste amazing.

... Pay no attention to "shiny" limited editions, regional editions, and aged stock when you're first starting out. Get a whole bunch of singles like Jimmy said and find your flavor profile. Once you hit that Cuban profile you'll know it and then you can ask for more like that.

Ask your tobacconist what is smoking good right now. Cubans can be very seasonal. Your Tobacconist will help you determine what to focus on..

Ether..

I would have smoked my aged cigars before they they lost their charm. Its worthless having boxes of cigars that used to taste amazing.

Hey Rob. As someone in the process of setting up a wine fridge (mainly so I can start buying boxes), I think you make an interesting point. :D

Just out of interest, how many boxes do you all keep in your rotation at any one time? And how long do you keep them?

Not to be Jimmy's antithesis because he certainly has sound advice. But I enjoy everything from Belinda to Vegueros and have looked back at the money spent on singles as a waste. There is a premium on singles that is on average around 30% and considering there is around 200 production vitolas that could add up quick if you want to try everything before you buy.

I'll buck the trend, and say I've never bought singles. I buy all the boxes that I can afford, if I find i don't like the smoke/marca/size/format, I stick it far back in the humidor. I figure my tastes will probably change years down the road, and maybe I'll like that cigar at a different time. Or maybe someone else who's at my house might want that exact cigar. I don't like managing a drawer full of singles either.

with that said, this method only works if you have lots of storage capacity. It helps that I ordered the largest humidor that Bob Staebell makes. then I increased the dimensions and made it taller and deeper. And it's filled to the brim now. that's where the FOH Online Cigar Locker takes over!

Hey Rob. As someone in the process of setting up a wine fridge (mainly so I can start buying boxes), I think you make an interesting point. :D

Just out of interest, how many boxes do you all keep in your rotation at any one time? And how long do you keep them?

Me personally, and bear in mind I'm a nut... I keep about 75 to 100 boxes in rotation.

This basically means while smoking 3 - 5 cigars a week, I never smoke a cigar from the same box in any given month.

Lots of good advice so far in this thread. One thing I would add is don't waste a lot of money on fancy humidors that are higher maintenance, and can really cut into your cigar buying budget. It might not be fancy and pretty, but setting up a few coolidors with beads as you need them, to age your inventory is hard to beat for quality, efficient, and easy to maintain storage, especially if you live in a climate which doesn't require climate control.

I would also stay away from buying a lot of singles as the high premium and hassle factor of storing them is too high. Focus on buying boxes and cabs if available of high quality regular production stock which will age well over the long term and you really can't go too wrong. You can always trade away high quality aged excess stock for something you like better. Don't forget that most likely your taste preferences will change over 10-15 years. I know mine did and continues to do so.

Finally, stay away from the high dollar EL's and regional editions. They will break your cigar budget much too quickly, and frankly with a few exceptions are mostly a bunch of marketing hype. Focus on high quality regular production stock which will age well over the long term. Age your own stock in high quality, relatively low cost coolidors rather than buying aged or vintage stock at a premium price stored under unknown conditions.

Most important have fun and don't take this hobby too seriously.