Revealing FOH 2013 International Blind Cigar Tasting Number One

I would first like to thank all participants as well as my team for getting the cigars out. As you can imagine it is quite a logistical exercise party.gif

Cigar one was indeed a Churchill and you can see others tasting notes HERE

I could see in many of your tasting notes that you certainly raised the flavour profile in parts but went to more familiar cigars in your pick. This is understandable as the cigar itself while general production is not one that is highly purchased these days. All in all the majority found it to be very enjoyable.

let me provide the table. Obviously, a green and you nailed it...a red and onto the next cigar results of which I need e-mailed to me by the 31st of July. For this competition, he (or she) who nails the most cigars correctly wins.

Well done again! Blind Tasting Cigars is the hardest thing of all. It challenges our perceptions and is a great learning experience.

post-4-0-13583400-1373076261_thumb.png

D'oh! I'm just glad I wasn't the only one to say Punch! Enjoying this as a learning experience anyhow!

:tantrum: While I did taste some RyJ in that cigar it wasn't enough to convince me. I went with the Bolivar which I don't smoke but it sure had a lot of Boli characteristics. Live and learn I guess. Congrats to those who got this one right. :ok:

Honestly, I was torn between the R&J and the punch as all previous R&J's I smoked had a lighter wrapper but I've had so many I instantly recognized the flavors.... And now to buy a box from the czar as that was a damn fine specimen and proof that the R&J marca is making a comeback....

tantrum.gif While I did taste some RyJ in that cigar it wasn't enough to convince me. I went with the Bolivar which I don't smoke but it sure had a lot of Boli characteristics. Live and learn I guess. Congrats to those who got this one right. ok.gif

They are so close in profile mate that it is an easy one to miss (same body). I smoked mine last week and the slight flower nature and sweetness gave it away (in mine anyway). Of course blind I may have gone for the BCG.

:tantrum: While I did taste some RyJ in that cigar it wasn't enough to convince me. I went with the Bolivar which I don't smoke but it sure had a lot of Boli characteristics. Live and learn I guess. Congrats to those who got this one right. :ok:

Completely agree!! U and I must have smoked the same cigar...

Several years ago their was an article in The New Yorker about blind tasting wine. Most people could not distinguish red wine from white wine when both were served in black glasses at room temperature. As the article said, you taste what you expect to taste. Here is the link:

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2002/08/19/020819fa_fact

Congrats to all the participants.

Wow!! Can't believe I guessed it right! The opening was very close to the exibicion 4 that I smoked a few times, which ultimately led me to guess RyJ.

What I'm more surprised is how much I enjoyed it. I always hear how bad current RyJ is, so never expected that, especially from the churchill. Also, I never really got any of the similar flavors from the short churchill...strange. Congrats to all the other winners!

Man, I swore I tasted QdO flavors that I get in my coronas. Having not smoked the Imperiales, I made the stab, and the wrapper was identical to the coronas as well. None of the RyJ redness at all.

Thanks again Rob, this is a great, and humbling experience!

Several years ago their was an article in The New Yorker about blind tasting wine. Most people could not distinguish red wine from white wine when both were served in black glasses at room temperature. As the article said, you taste what you expect to taste.

hsving done that and seen it done a number of times, and arranged it for tasters as well, it is so much more difficult than you can imagine. thanks for that.

Toss up between the Qdo and RyJ for me. Initially got that dry finish I sometimes get from Qdo's but the floral and fruit pushed me towards my answer.

Taking the band off the cigar does make one pay more attention!

I got a mild smoke with cream and vanilla. I really liked it. No way would I have picked an R y J Churchill! Tasted so much like an aged HDM Churchill I had I thought it must've been the same.

Basically, I have no clue!

Yeah, was a bit clueless like a dead body in a swamp, but it was good to see some others stabbed in the same direction in their choices. Good exercise in developing my tasting palate.

The last RyJ Churchill I had tasted like newspaper. This was nothing like it, but still not all that thrilling. After too many bad experiences, I haven't smoked an RyJ in ages.

Oh well, congrats to those who picked correctly. On to mystery cigar number 2!

Toss up between the Qdo and RyJ for me. Initially got that dry finish I sometimes get from Qdo's but the floral and fruit pushed me towards my answer.

Taking the band off the cigar does make one pay more attention!

well done mate. I should have asked you what your thoughts were when you were up here in BNE! :)

tantrum.gif While I did taste some RyJ in that cigar it wasn't enough to convince me. I went with the Bolivar which I don't smoke but it sure had a lot of Boli characteristics. Live and learn I guess. Congrats to those who got this one right. ok.gif

I felt the same, I did have my slight doubts at times during the cigar but not enough to point me away from the BCG....... I got more Bolivar than anything else.

Well done to you guys who guessed right!!!

Man.... They got the wrapper colour all wrong back when they rolled mine! Nothing about the one I had, including flavour, said RyJ.

Well done to those who got it.

The R&J is the one I've never tried and have the least experience with as a brand. I went with the Imperiales because I thought it had echoes of the QdO flavour profile and I'd ruled out a few of the others. Really interesting exercise, looking forward to the next one. Congratulations to the guys who picked correctly!