Good to be back from New Zealand

12 days away with the family came to an end last night as the Emirates flight touched down into Brisbane.

I thought it would be a nice break to take the family away to something different in a rural New Zealand Farmstay in the town of Tirau in South Waikato. Nice 4 bedroom cottage on 75 hectares of a working dairy farm with some 3 kilometeres of spring fed trout streams and a quad bike and trailer at our call. Our hosts, Pauline and Peter were lovely people.

It has been a year since I have taken my three kids and saintly wife on a decent vacation and they throughly enjoyed it. We had excellent weather, clear 24 degree C days and crisp 12 degree c nights. Our plan of attack was to travel around during the day to see the sights and fish the late afternoons for the resident rainbow trout. I can honestly say that I have never been more frustrated with fishing in my life as the Rainbows were hard to find and when found were nonchalantly refusing evry fly I cast. The week saw a total of four Rainbows of embarrasing size for a half dozen fishing expeditions and I look forward to getting to the south Island and on one of Kens jaunts to chase some serious fish later this year.

Still it was great to reconnect with the kids away from mobile phones, Ipods and internet. We managed to fit in some excellent white water Jet Skiing, Bungee Jumping, Air diving, Cave exploring, Quad bike tours and Luge runs. We saw glow worms, craters, thermal parks and best of all each night had "World Championship Ping Pong tournament" back at the cottage. I am the current "World Champion ;) "

The kids are growing up so bloody fast. It dawned on me that I don't have many "Family vacations" left with my eldest son Ben who turns 16 in March. I am pretty sure I will be able to tempt him with a Havana vacation once he is 18 .....that should be a cracker of a trip !LOL!

I can report that I am still on the wagon but did enjoy many a fine cigar overlooking the rolling green hills late each evening. I tend to revert to my staple favourites when I am away, Partagas 898 V, Cohiba Robusto, Connie 3......none let me down.

For our New Zealand brethren you have a beautiful country and it was a pleasure to spend time there. I will be return and can't recommend it enough!

Great to be back in Oz and looking forward to catching up with Lisa, Smithy and Diana come Monday. Four weeks to go before i and some of the local lads head off for Peacock bass fishing in the Amazon followed by a week at the habanos Festival in Havana. I am sure it will be a different type of holiday :)

Good to hear that you have made it back to Oz. Lisa, D and I have been laughing all week about some of the possible situations you had got yourself into with the family.

Looking forward to me having a drink on the deck as you recant great family stories. ;)

Good to hear that you have made it back to Oz. Lisa, D and I have been laughing all week about some of the possible situations you had got yourself into with the family.

Looking forward to me having a drink on the deck as you recant great family stories. :)

Saturday afternoon and I am at work Smithy......that should say enough ;)

Great to know that NZ is also a great place to visit. I will consider in my 2011 New World Tour ;-)