The Perfect Cigar

Sitting on a mate's tailgate and smoked this. Wondered if it might be the absolute finest cigar ever made. Then thought perhaps I was getting a smidge carried away. I know cigars are somewhat variable and so then I wondered if perhaps, although I have not seen much variation with the Cohiba LE Pyramide 2006, that perhaps it was the finest of its type ever rolled. We'll never know. But I will claim that perhaps a cigar has never been enjoyed as much. I am deaf to your protestations.

It is about 9 in the morning. A perfect Queensland day. A mate and I have just walked off the rocks at Waddy Point on Fraser Island. A top morning's fishing just south of the ledge for those who know it. Not huge numbers but a couple of seriously big tailor (and the rotten camera has died on me so unless it can be revived, take my word – quiet Rob). Also, got hit right on the edge of the rocks, a few feet away, by something like a train Can only assume a massive trevally. All over in a second and a half. BANG and under the rocks and gone. Nearly ripped the rod out of my hands – a fun morning morning all round.

Anyway, back at the 4WD, I have lit this up. My mate has some CoRo's he is enjoying.

The bay to the north of Waddy where we are is protected from the wind and still as a painting. A large turtle swims slowly against what current there is. There are three pods of dolphins. One riding crystal clear waves, one of them are leaping about like they are auditioning for the latest Flipper movie and one have caught a fish that they are tossing about. Further out, whales are breaching. Above a sea eagle hovers without effort, as though glued to the sky. The water is aquamarine, the sky cobalt and the horizon are the Fraser dunes stretching all the way to the Cape. Magic.

On one side, an old bloke is lying in the sand reading his book. Further off to one side in an old land rover, a woman who is the spitting image of Sarah O'Hare in the world's skimpiest shorts is cooking breakfast for the boyfriend (who has a gut bigger than mine, giving us all hope). On the other side, a couple of old Greek guys have pulled up post fishing, opera blaring. We have a chat about what fish are around. He says he used to have a cigar every morning but now only on special occasions and pulls out a tubed Upmann Corona. His mate comes around the side of the truck and sees my LE - “I'll give you a thousand dollars for it” he says. No dice.

We sit on the tailgate having a chat. I am covered in fish blood, and a bit of my own from the rocks. The shoulders and arms ache but is there a sweeter pain than that from fighting big fish?

When we finish here, it is off to the local paddock behind us that doubles as an airstrip to collect a couple of mates flying in and then back for a brekkie of freshly grilled, just caught fish as well as foie gras and mushroom omelettes. And to work our way through a range of fabulous fizz. Before a midday nap and then back for another fish.

The cigar itself is glorious. Still youthful but waves of honey and cinnamon and spice. It is so perfectly made that I only needed to ash it twice before it was finished. It is magnificent. 99 – more if it was perhaps a smidge older. At least that is what it feels like at the moment. If I was home on the balcony – who knows? May be 93? The draw is slow and consistent. Loving it. And it seems perfectly matched with some ice cold dark German beers.

If life gets any better than this, I want to know how?

PS – sending this as have just discovered we now get coverage at the lodge. Have to sign off as about to adjourn to the balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean with my novel (Shadow of the Wind – anyone read it? Thoroughly enjoying it. Finished some Ian Fleming the other day) for more fizz – an essential in the tropics – and a Hamlet.

Sounds like you are having a great time KG. It is amazing how much better an already great cigar can taste when everything just comes together for you. Enjoy...I hope you have many more like it.

I have to agree with the comments about this cigar. My favourite cigar for the last 3 years (Sir Winston Jan 08 is very close).

rob, i won't forget the ones we shared and it was a great shame couldn't jig a catch up in canberra.

now if you'll excuse me, the next bottle of fizz has been opened and the hamlet is currently rating 110/100 so it is back to the verandah.

One of life's sweet moments ... Its what its all about really when a good cigar in the perfect moment turns it on :wacko:

Cheers Oz :lol:

“I'll give you a thousand dollars for it” he says. No dice.

Until this line, I'd nearly been tempted to give benefit of the doubt to your fantastic waxing, but it's been pointed out here on occasions too

numerous to recall that you'd sell family members into slavery for tuppence.

As to the cigar, I don't share your unbridled, fabio-esque passion for it, but perhaps I'll try another in the not too distant future.

Until this line, I'd nearly been tempted to give benefit of the doubt to your fantastic waxing, but it's been pointed out here on occasions too

numerous to recall that you'd sell family members into slavery for tuppence.

As to the cigar, I don't share your unbridled, fabio-esque passion for it, but perhaps I'll try another in the not too distant future.

actually i jumped at it but he then remembered his cardio banned him, hence the 'no dice'.

otherwise, thanks ever so much! i'd sell you for tuppence.

Hard reading this when I'm stuck in filthy stinking Moscow, 0 degrees outside. Slush and puddles everyhwere. Just got light about 1.5 hours ago. Ugh.

What else can you do there besides fishing, Ken? Any other interesting activities? Are you staying in a hotel? What are the prices like? (I'm coming to Oz at the end of the year...)

Yes, Ken... the Cohibamide is a great cigar. I haven't had one for a few months since the last "sample" had retreated into a bit of a funk. But earlier examples set a high water mark for young Cohibas. Your review will send me into the dungeon to fetch another sacrificial lamb.

As to the cigar, I don't share your unbridled, fabio-esque passion for it...

Rossco, I trusted your opinions about cigars... until you wrote this.

Heathen!

got hit right on the edge of the rocks, a few feet away, by something like a train Can only assume a massive trevally. All over in a second and a half. BANG and under the rocks and gone. Nearly ripped the rod out of my hands – a fun morning morning all round.

The shoulders and arms ache but is there a sweeter pain than that from fighting big fish?

Your shoulders and arms ached after a one and a half second encounter with a big fish?

Well done Tarzan :P