cognac - in general

Ken Gargett

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I pulled into Dans last night with plans to buy a VSOP Courvoisier, I ended up walking out with a Hennessy XO Gift Pack for $15 cheaper than the standard bottle and it comes with a nice little hip fla

This thread is going to cost me money.......

i remember (and i guess it would be in one of the videos - colt?) a few years back. i was doing an article on cognac and the various producers sending samples. in the middle of a video with rob, deliv

graham

Nose: surpy raisin, pear, vanilla with a touch of honey and spices

Palate: a bit of vanilla, the alcohol is so well intergrated in the pour, you don't feel it.

Finish: long and lingering for 10 mins, this is strong and robust with exotic fruits and some christmas cake spices with a touch of burnt sugar

40% ABV

92-94 pts

(random thoughts..) I think Cognac is a funny word...

"In the news today a dinosaur called a Cognac devoured the population of Tokyo"..

random indeed, and a candidate for both the best and worst post of the year?

i'll never look at another cognac the same again.

Picked up another Remy XO at the duty free yesterday. For lower priced cognac I used to really enjoy Bowen VSOP but can't get it in Canada anymore. I came close to ordering some from Germany but didn't pull the trigger.

what about armagnacs? any fans?

My friend who's currently living in France sent me a bottle of armagnac as a christmas gift.

It is excellent: Domaine de Laubesse Hors-d' Age Bas-Armagnac ok.gif

He said he bought it at a local food and wine show there and it was not expensive! Which is a reservation that I have about cognac- for equivalent price I can always find a rum or whisky of better quality IMO (not including the ultra premium cognacs ofcourse - as discussion of value becomes moot really.. or at least beside the point)

I wasn't going to jump in on this thread because although I like cognac, I have tried very few. On the other hand, I have slightly more familiarity with armagnac, especially those from the Darroze negociants. I have found even young armagnac has a nice complexity and often at a nice price. The availability of vintages for (some) armagnac also makes it a little more interesting. I don't wish to derail this thread, so please ignore my next question if it is irrelevant and/or uninteresting, but does anyone find that using the 'right' kind of glass makes a difference? I found the first armagnac I ever tried, the Domaine de Jouanchicout '79 (Darroze) was almost like aniseed when drunk out of a whisky tumbler, but it came alive in a balloon glass.

You may as well chuck in a load of ice as well.

Of course you need ice. The ice keeps the coke cold :P

My preference for spirits is the international tasting glass, probably the same as the tulip one mentioned above - a sherry style wine glass. I find the shape more comfortable and the aroma more concentrated than in a snifter.

graham

Nose: surpy raisin, pear, vanilla with a touch of honey and spices

Palate: a bit of vanilla, the alcohol is so well intergrated in the pour, you don't feel it.

Finish: long and lingering for 10 mins, this is strong and robust with exotic fruits and some christmas cake spices with a touch of burnt sugar

40% ABV

92-94 pts

Very nice. :)

B2441CA8-7F68-414A-99F9-D3848D3FF1E7-354-00000017720F489A.jpg

Nose: Delicate vanilla oak scent

On the palate fruity and jammy (apricot and fig), hazelnut and licorice.

Mellow, warm, well balanced, and great structure with a long finish – at least 10 minutes on the palate.

Claims: This is the rarest and oldest VSOP on the world market

Smoothest VSOP I've had the pleasure of drinking.

I've recently enjoyed a bottle of Martell XO and Remy Martin XO, both were just gorgeous but I liked the Remy Martin a little more because I found it a little more floral and fruity.

With my 30th coming up, I'm looking at getting a bottle of something for the night, can't decide between the Martell XO again, the Remy Martin XO again or a Martell Cordon Bleu or a Hennessy XO.

I guess it would make sense to try something I haven't had before.

I'm also thinking of getting a bottle of something a little more pricey just for a snifter or two every so often.

Either the Martell Creation Grand Extra or the Hennessy Paradis Extra Rare.

Maybe I'm just being silly with my money but I really like it. Interested to see if there is a difference between a $200 bottle and a $700 bottle. Crazy!

I can second Delamain XO, lovely stuff.

It's worth bearing in mind that a chunk of the extra cash you'll spend on a prestige bottle buys you a nice bottle/crystal decanter, some....interesting packaging....and some extra margin for the producers/retailers.

I'm finding it hard to find a store with a decent range of decent Cognacs, I'm in Dandenong in Victoria (AUS) and Dan Murphys is the logical place to go but they don't have a massive range of "still affordable" Cognacs. For those that don't know, Dan Murphys is like a massive warehouse full of booze, I love that joint.

I'd like to try some of the suggestions above but they're a little hard come by.

However, I do believe the next Cognac I would like to try is Martell Cordon Bleu.

Anyone had that one?

I'm finding it hard to find a store with a decent range of decent Cognacs, I'm in Dandenong in Victoria (AUS) and Dan Murphys is the logical place to go...

Reevzy, check out Nicks Wine Merchant in East Doncaster (their sort of around the corner from shoppo). ]

They've got a much better selection of spirits than you'll find at Dan's.

You can also order through their online site, with free shipping for orders over a certain amount ($200 I think it is).

I pulled into Dans last night with plans to buy a VSOP Courvoisier, I ended up walking out with a Hennessy XO Gift Pack for $15 cheaper than the standard bottle and it comes with a nice little hip flask and a little funnel for decanting, all in a big fancy box.

This Cognac blew me away.

I don't know exactly what I'm talking about but it's like a burst of "masculine perfume" on the back of the tongue that rolls back with the drink as it goes down but then jumps to the roof of the mouth and rolls forward to finish in the middle of the palate.

And I do believe I was getting oak on the lingering finish.

A few snifters last night paired with a Cohiba Pyramide Extra, total relaxation!

• Like 1

I pulled into Dans last night with plans to buy a VSOP Courvoisier, I ended up walking out with a Hennessy XO Gift Pack for $15 cheaper than the standard bottle and it comes with a nice little hip flask and a little funnel for decanting, all in a big fancy box.

This Cognac blew me away.

I don't know exactly what I'm talking about but it's like a burst of "masculine perfume" on the back of the tongue that rolls back with the drink as it goes down but then jumps to the roof of the mouth and rolls forward to finish in the middle of the palate.

And I do believe I was getting oak on the lingering finish.

A few snifters last night paired with a Cohiba Pyramide Extra, total relaxation!

It has a nice finish...good choice!

...I would like to try is Martell Cordon Bleu.

Anyone had that one?

Excellent choice. It's very smooth.

Also try the Meukow XO if you like a bit more sweetness.

There is a shop in Port Melbourne called Cerbaco that imports quite a few other European brands.

Also try Nicks Wine Merchants in Doncaster.

If you're looking for a bigger range, try sourcing directly from Europe. There are German and UK sites that ship overseas.

Absolutely hanging to try the Cordon Bleu, that will be my indulgence on my 30th biggrin.png

I've had my eye on the Meukow range for a while, nice looking bottle, that's obviously about all I can say till I actually buy it.

I thought about shipping directly from France but by the time I did the currency conversion plus freight plus a guess at what the customs ransom might be I figured it'd be the same value as buying locally.

Gotta say, I'm currently pretty hammered on the Hennessy XO! Due to it's price tag and the fact that someone with more experience than me might say that the rate I'm drinking it at is a form of "abuse", when you're me, right now, you tend not to care.

This stuff is purely stunning and I can appreciate that.