cognac - in general

Ken Gargett

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I pulled into Dans last night with plans to buy a VSOP Courvoisier, I ended up walking out with a Hennessy XO Gift Pack for $15 cheaper than the standard bottle and it comes with a nice little hip fla

This thread is going to cost me money.......

i remember (and i guess it would be in one of the videos - colt?) a few years back. i was doing an article on cognac and the various producers sending samples. in the middle of a video with rob, deliv

Usually Hennessy XO as a daily drop and then Paradis for a special occasion. Both go great with just about any cigar after a nice meal. Makes me want to bail on this office now and head for home ._.

Any suggestions for another Ken?

Usually Hennessy XO as a daily drop and then Paradis for a special occasion. Both go great with just about any cigar after a nice meal. Makes me want to bail on this office now and head for home ._.

Any suggestions for another Ken?

actually, i'm trying to learn as much as i can. i have only ever had a few cognacs i've really liked (much prefer great rum). a few from delamain and a few years ago in thailand, tried a pruniers 1928, from the days when they could vintage date cognac. it was truly glorious.

Ken would you say your palate has changed over the years concerning Spirits, not that I am implying that your Old!! Ish!! In my 20`s I couldnt stomach Whisky, single malts Bleh! Now I am loving them!! Sorry going off topic a little!

Ken would you say your palate has changed over the years concerning Spirits, not that I am implying that your Old!! Ish!! In my 20`s I couldnt stomach Whisky, single malts Bleh! Now I am loving them!! Sorry going off topic a little!

without question. i think one's palate probably changes for many things over time.

used to drink bundy like water but not sure i could drink much now. hated malts, now starting to appreciate a good range, and enjoy them so same there. still don't much like tequilla.

without question. i think one's palate probably changes for many things over time.

used to drink bundy like water but not sure i could drink much now. hated malts, now starting to appreciate a good range, and enjoy them so same there. still don't much like tequilla.

Smell of Tequila has me retching!! Although I do like Margharita`s if made properly. Not that frozen pre-mixed crap.

Its probably similar to cigars I would assume, I see alot of people try one for the first time and cringe at it.. An appreciative palette comes with experience. Although in saying that, I dont know how one cant appreciate a nice XO straight off the bat :)

Hennessey and Remy XO would be my favorites. Also enjoy the Remy VSOP from time to time. Much more affordable.

what about armagnacs? any fans?

I've never had the opportunity to sample an armagnac, much less with a cigar. Would be interested though. KG, can you make any recommendations on good armagnacs along different price points?

I've never had the opportunity to sample an armagnac, much less with a cigar. Would be interested though. KG, can you make any recommendations on good armagnacs along different price points?

tried an old bottle (and when i say old, i mean it was hidden at the back of my cupboard for about 30 years which was not intended and would not have improved it) of domaine le lahitte. loved it.

When in October are you here Ken? We'll 'sample' a few different cognacs if I have my way.

Paradis is my absolute favourite.... but the Henessey family reserve is also fantastic. The only problem is that the price is so prohibitive :cigar:

I am yet to try the Hennessey "Richard".

And funnily enough, as much as I enjoy spirits - I have never really enjoyed Rum. I don't know if its because I have never had a good one... or if it just doesn't talk to me the way whisky and cognac do.

Hennessey and Remy XO would be my favorites. Also enjoy the Remy VSOP from time to time. Much more affordable.

x2 on the Remy VSOP! I have a bottle of that in the 'cave' right now and will be picking up another this week. My 2nd favorite (I've yet to spend over $50 on a bottle, so my experience with cognac isn't too vast) is Martell VSOP.

Jeff L.

Thanks Ken...

tried an old bottle (and when i say old, i mean it was hidden at the back of my cupboard for about 30 years which was not intended and would not have improved it) of domaine le lahitte. loved it.

When in October are you here Ken? We'll 'sample' a few different cognacs if I have my way.

Paradis is my absolute favourite.... but the Henessey family reserve is also fantastic. The only problem is that the price is so prohibitive :cigar:

And funnily enough, as much as I enjoy spirits - I have never really enjoyed Rum. I don't know if its because I have never had a good one... or if it just doesn't talk to me the way whisky and cognac do.

rob, have to check but think it around 11th? timing depends what the organisers want us to do but will let you know.

Rob...obviously everyones palates are different, but before I seriously began tasting rums, I always paired my cigars with a single malt, or whisky blend. I have to say that right now, my favorite companion to my Cuban cigars has become the Ron Zacapa Centernario. Just can't go wrong with it. Don't know if you have tried it yet. If you like something more floral, Pyrat XO is pretty good too.

Paradis is my absolute favourite.... but the Henessey family reserve is also fantastic. The only problem is that the price is so prohibitive :)

Thanks for the recommendations Chenman... I will endeavour to try them out and conquer this issue....

But basically, Havana Club and our local "Bundaberg" rums are the only ones I have tried... and they just didn't do it for me. I think you are right and if I try some 'good' ones then I'll be a changed man.

:)