cognac - in general

Ken Gargett

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I pulled into Dans last night with plans to buy a VSOP Courvoisier, I ended up walking out with a Hennessy XO Gift Pack for $15 cheaper than the standard bottle and it comes with a nice little hip fla

This thread is going to cost me money.......

i remember (and i guess it would be in one of the videos - colt?) a few years back. i was doing an article on cognac and the various producers sending samples. in the middle of a video with rob, deliv

I'll be honest in that I have yet to find the appealing factor in cognacs. I'm starting to think that I'm either not ready yet, or it's not my thing at the moment.

I am, however, trying to wade into Armagnac. Any advice for a Islay scotch fanatic?

...Any advice for a Islay scotch fanatic?

Unfortunately, there is nothing Cognac or Armagnac that can be comparable to the peatiness/smokiness of an Islay, I don't think.

However, if you like strong flavoured and more 'masculine' drinks, which your preference suggests, better an Armagnac than a Cognac in general, I think.

Any advice for a Islay scotch fanatic?

Yeah I echo Sengjc, unless there is some avant garde brandy distiller out there trying new things I dont think youll find anything close to the savoury powerhouse that islay malts provide.

But im definitely not widely experienced in brandy so perhaps someone else would have an option to try (if so I will be there with you mk05 in testing it out!)

Here's a cognac for the Scotch lover!

61077E29-6287-4DFF-B521-1AA5242E3F97-10831-0000044133C5DC70.jpg

"This unique cognac is a spicy iodized and very mellow blend of eaux de vie produced, distilled and initially aged in a damp cellar located on the island itself. Its mild character and subtle iodine quality develop during the second aging, on the island, in a cellar situated in the heart of the cliff top Fort de la Pree, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Fort de la Pree was built in 1626 and is a rare example of military architecture from before Vauban. This cognac presents various marine flavors and an extraordinary round body.” - website

As much as I love Cognac and have had a few bottles over the years, I simply don't have them often enough to recomend one over another. The XO's are always good, had some very good VSOP's and even some good little VS's. I like the ones that have a sort of cherry taste to them.

As for Armagnac it is a little more floral in it's taste.

• 3 weeks later...

Something me mates gifted me tonight during a session of 'quiet' drinks.

post-16083-13613655197542.jpg

As you can see, we promptly did it some justice.

Not a stranger to this particular blend from the house of Martell and in my opinion, one if the finest 'big brand' XOs in the market.

Something me mates gifted me tonight during a session of 'quite' drinks.

post-16083-13613655197542.jpg

As you can see, we promptly did it some justice.

Not a stranger to this particular blend from the house of Martell and in my opinion, one if the finest 'big brand' XOs in the market.

Very nice!!!! This should keep the thread lively....I have a few bottles myself!

d

Diminishing returns but there is a difference.

Try Delamain or Ferrand. Some very high quality products and much cheaper than Hennessy Paradis.

Delamain and Ferrand are some of the best Cognacs you can buy.I like Ferrand the best and you get their Ambre for less than some well known VSOP's.

Turning 30. Day 1 of 4

I told my boss that turning 30 is like getting into a hot bath, you've gotta ease into it.

So I've got today and tomorrow off and the big day is Saturday.

Today, I'm relaxing with a snifter or two of Camus Borderies XO which is just divine.

After letting it settle in the glass for ten minutes (so I've read) the fragrance of orange zest

becomes alot more pronounced as it did from in the bottle.

Definite hints of oak in there as well, the taste I really can't go into with great detail or I'd just

be making stuff up, I'm not that experienced to be able to put words to it..............

but it's bloody good!!!! Dried fruits would be the best words I have to offer.

Along with the most dirty oily looking wrapper on a Montecristo 520 LE which from start to finish has been nothing but thick, rich, smooth velvety chocolate coated feeling on the tongue.

Once again, that's about as far as my words can describe with where my palate is at the moment.

Nonetheless, the last two hours have just been great, very relaxing, very enjoyable.

Tomorrow, it's gonna be the Martell Cordon Bleu, been hanging out for this one for quite some time

and my days of being a silly knob in his twenties with no responsibility are coming to an end

so the next couple of days of indulgence will be my last of this fashion for a while.

post-15948-0-48600800-1361432057_thumb.j

post-15948-0-51016300-1361432118_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's the Paradis like?

It's a complexity of slight peppery notes, then fruit and finally some floral notes. Very smooth and balanced. The youngest eau de vie is 25yrs, the oldest 130yrs, I believe.