FOH'ers Daily Smoke

A running weekly thread like that may make it a little less confusing with us being such an international community working with many different time zones. This way, you could just drop in and say something like, "Monday evening here in sunny San Diego and I just had a...".

That was my thought...weekly sound just about right. The thread won't be too long and those of us looking to purchase something new and want a little shared advice to help make up our minds would benefit.

Just pulled out a couple of '06 PLPCs after eating grilled sword fish & sirloin tails with grilled asparagus accompanied by a few Sam Adams Lights for dinner.....now my son and I are going to take a walk down to the bay and enjoy them.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad idea at all, Ray. Nice compromise between too long and to numerous.

Wilkey

think rob is coming around tuesday arvo so will have a chat and see what we can work out. the long thread thing doesn't appeal to me as i think it would very soon be very long and one would lose track of where one was last. the month appeals more, though even that would get very long. a daily one would mean a heap of threads all over the place. may be a week? in the end, i will leave it to rob.

To finish a long day, cracked a box of Boli GM's. Enjoying it thoroughly. Medium with a few "pleasant" rough edges, some cocoa, cream, leathery/earth, light spice through the nose.

Tomorrow night I pop my Sir Winnie cherry...

think rob is coming around tuesday arvo so will have a chat and see what we can work out. the long thread thing doesn't appeal to me as i think it would very soon be very long and one would lose track of where one was last. the month appeals more, though even that would get very long. a daily one would mean a heap of threads all over the place. may be a week? in the end, i will leave it to rob.

Ken,

I think when you discuss with Rob, please talk about what the objective of any such thread should be. For what purpose will the information be used? That should guide the nature of the thread. If no one intends to ever mine the thread to do something with the daily reviews, then a continuous thread would be sufficient. In that case, it would be sort of a convivial place to shout out our daily intake and in a way that is minimally demanding. As such, it would not merit the additional admittedly minor effort of generating a new thread every day, week, or even month.

Well, enough from me on this. I think you understand where I'm coming from. IMO, monthly snapshots should be more than adequate to capture the flow of things on a sub-seasonal scale. Would there be any additional informational benefit to be gained from even a weekly thread? I'm not so sure.

Anyway, let me know how it goes!

Wilkey

Ken, I think it would suffice if someone started a thread everyday with the subject as the date and daily smoke. i.e. "Daily Smoke - 23-05-09". I might be a bit of clutter though, so dropping the threads in another forum might be beneficial. Anyone could start the thread when it was past midnight, say brisabane time, US time or GMT.. The regulars would be sure to start the threads, I'm sure everyone would chip in.

Last night I smoked a Ramon Allones Eminenia ER Suiza. Quite delicate and floral with a rich, medium tobacco character. A far cry from the powerhouses of the RA marca and certainly nothing at all like the Estupendos but enjoyable. Followed it up with an Upmann Connoisseur #1. Similar in respects to my favorite, the Mag46 but a less pronounced coffee note. Again clean tobacco with a dry woody character. Unfortunately, it was quite humid out and I only made it to the last 1.5" before the cigars went soft.

Wilkey

Smoked the first PLPC from an '06 cab, a decent smoke. Rich flavors, medium body, the first half reminded me of 'old-mans-cigars' that I used to smell as a kid. High quality tobacco flavors throughout. Moments of sweetened tobacco on the back half. These are going to be better than I had expected.

Last night I enjoyed my second Monte 08 EL Sublime. Was much more impressed this time. The core Monte woodsy flavor was dominant with a sweet floral undertone that lasted well past the halfway mark. The last 2 inches picked up a touch in strength as it is a young cigar but was still great. A big turn around from my first one. I will pick up another box to sit 5 yrs or so.

I clipped a Bolivar Corona Extra (from a cab that I bought this week)... but I didn't end up lighting it.

The draw was just a tad to tight and I didn't want to light a $20 cigar knowing it wasn't going to deliver what it should. Another couple of days at 50% should see it right.

I ended up having Boli Belicoso Fino. It was ok. But not great. The flavours were a little confused and never really founds its way. It burnt great but needed some guidance in the area of profile.

watched 'the departed' - it really is a great flick - with an aged (around 8 to 10 years, i believe - lost the info) hoyo DC. lovely smoke. very mild, subtle, gentle spices. a very low key cigar. really enjoyed it but it is not a cigar that evolves much while smoking it. has been a good box and as they have got a little older, they have become more subtle and milder but have not picked up much complexity. i'd have gone 89-90. had it first with a glass of arberg 17 year old malt. first time i've tried it. much more subtle and less strongly peaty than the standard. and then with an appleton 21 yar old rum. and that was the highlight of the night.

I clipped a Bolivar Corona Extra (from a cab that I bought this week)... but I didn't end up lighting it.

The draw was just a tad to tight and I didn't want to light a $20 cigar knowing it wasn't going to deliver what it should.

Gosh Rob, what restraint! I would never have been able to hold off after cutting!

well, I'm 3/4 of the way through the Bolivar Corona Extra I was going to have last night.

really nice cigar. a lot milder than I thought it was going to be... but great clean flavours. this is going to be my go-to cigar for a while I think.

Tried to get through a 1998 Lusitania this afternoon. Unbearably tight as presaged by the rock solid body. Such a sad disappointment. The flavors I was able to retrieve were quite mild and strictly leather, light pepper, and medium tobacco.

Wilkey

I started up an Ashton VSG Torpedo this afternoon. Horrible tunneling made me pitch it about 1" in so I grabbed my first Partagas 8-9-8 for a substitute. I wasn't blown away (since these are young) but I definately enjoyed the cigar.

Started with a Vegas Famoso 08 amazingly approachable for such a young specimen. Finished with an Opus XXX very full bodied. It made me a little dizzy. I was sitting on the deck enjoying a beautiful day.