State of the Cigar 2009:

On the rarest of occasions I will actually post up something that is not an embarrassment to myself and an insult to the indigenous population here. I can’t guarantee that this is going to be one of those times however!!! –LOL

On a more serious note I would like to engage in a perspective view from all of you as to where the Cuban cigar has come and gone in the past few years. Now I am not going off on my usual rant but I will likely bring it up somewhere along the line. If you must know, as a child if I asked my dad if we were “there yet” enough times we would eventually arrive! Imagine the negative reinforcement!

So where are we in the “State of the Cigar” for 2009?

I believe that Cuban cigar is as good as it has ever been in my memory. I believe that quality is way up, and that includes the fit and finish of the cigars that I commonly smoke.

Cigar quality as a whole has seen great improvement but that improvement has been at a cost. The cost has many facets. One is that there appears to me to be further homogenizing of the brands and vitolas. Overall cigars taste much more consistent and they have better depth of flavor. I do believe that there has been some loss of individual identity however. Don’t ask me to put a finger on it, because I really can’t. Furthermore I am open to the argument that newer cigars have not reached a level of maturity that may be the cause of the effect. Only time will tell.

I am now enjoying revitalization in many vitolas. The days of boycotting a certain vitola, something that I have practiced for years as a result of lack of quality, are coming to an end for me. I love it, but it can be hard on the wallet. I mean I actually enjoy smoking a piramides and a belicosos again. This is a huge step for me, as I don’t enjoy beating my head against the wall trying to like a particular cigar, I just give them up in favor of better performers. I think H SA has made great strides in order to revitalize keynote vitolas (classic cigars) and they should be applauded for it. Entire cigar lines taste better even though they are perhaps more similar than they were originally intended.

I mourn the loss of some of my favorite cigars. I hope this course of action is not a permanent solution to the ROI issue.

The EL market and the introduction of new cigars is not a positive for me. It appears to also come at a cost. Apparent is the loss of a high quality taste performer for something that I don’t like and won’t smoke. This trend is still a net loss for me. As a result of that trend I have found few safe havens in new cigars. I do enjoy the S-6 but it will not replace a Lanceros. One notable exception for me is Hoyo Petit Robusto. I cannot criticize a superior cigar regardless of my opinion of the cigar’s shape. Taste is the ultimate test and when you’re hot, you’re hot. If all newer cigars carried an identity and possessed the individualism of this cigar I would be far less motivated to resist the change.

I have said most of my piece. Perhaps as more contribute I will be reminded of facets worthy of further comment. Thanks for reading. -Piggy

Nice post Ray.

Let me put my Vendor hat on.

I remember back in 2000/01 when I was trying to find Some HDM DC Cabs that were not dowels (needed to fill an order). Couldn't do it. Next order was a Cab of Punch SS1 .... Checked cab after cab. If I threw one of these cigars I could have impaled someone. Couldn't fill the order. HDM Des Dieux.....cab 50's....checked 8. All duds. I remember giving up for the day. There were many days like that during the period.

I haven't had a day like that for a long time. Every year since it has got better and better. Construction improved dramatically, smokeability (out of the box) improved dramatically from 2004 with 2006 being a watershed year.

I still return a couple of mastercases of stock each month (mix of cigars) but it is for issues of shipping damage, some insipid wrappers, and now occasionally construction issues...but nowhere near to the level it use to be.

When you work in this trade day to day and see thousands of boxes a year (opened) you get an idea of the improvements made. Still, there is a long way to go but there are plans by HSA to get there. With people like Jose Candia in the front line, I have faith.

Credit where credit is due B)

"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times."

- A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.

I agree with much of what you write, Piggy. Overall quality of tobacco and construction remains high since 2006. Not everything is good, but if you choose carefully you can get some incredible smokes. I'm not a put off by the new EL's and RE's. While most are just hype, I have found some that rival the quality of the Books. These are the Halcyon days.

B):D:o

I'm still too early into CCs to give any discourse but I'm sure as hell glad I started the journey!

Dito...... Great post piggy.

Perhaps in a few more years I can come back to this post and contribute more facets to your comments, but for now, I'm just enjoying my CC journey and learning more about it's splendors through people such as yourself. You may think you ramble on, but to people like myself who have only been smoking around 8 - 10 years or so and have much to learn, it's invaluable information. :DB)

Having only picked up the filthy habit in the last five years and starting out with them I can heartily agree that construction and consistency is much better just over this time frame IMHO.

I still do find the occasional plugged one or more from a box but these are not dominant and mostly from '07 stock that I dont care to age. Every day type smokes. Although I will readily admit that it is no less maddening.

The 08 stock has been great. I look forward to 09 with eager anticipation.

For the most part I too have found the bloom is off the rose in terms of the LE's and RE's. In general they are overpriced and while I guess I understand they are targeted towards collectors the ones I have smoked just not been worth it. I guess I am saying I am more cautious about my return with these.

I like diversity in life and cigars. So I enjoy trying different lines. There will always be popular cigars that just dont fit my tastes. And ones that I used to like, then the shine went off and now I want to revisit again. When I have I have been happily surprised. This reinforces my view that stock in general has improved.

I don't care for the short churchill or short robusto cigars as a rule and I hope to see more attention to thinner gauge cigars.

Good post Piggy/Prez.

I to have noticed the rise in quality,but also that has enhanced by the knowledge i have aquired since being involvled with FOH

lets hope that the quality continues and that some of the Vitolas facing extinction can come back from the brink

Cheers

Oz Cuban :huh:

:wink2: Great writeup Pigfish, From my side, I agree that things are looking better,

but in my 38 years of smoking Habanos I've seen a lot of ups and downs on the market.

If you look at the history of cuban cigars, you will see that the ups and downs have never stoped,

From colonial Cuba, when the spainish controled everything and allowed no export of the leaf except

for them. To the so-called, wonderful days of the "clear Havana " , that the Americans regreat so

much only because, at the time, American companies owned 90% of all the Factories, also the fact

they were mixing the tobacco with FL. grown tobacco ( Ex: HENRY CLAY) or hand rolling "la Corona "

in Trenton N.J. To the revolution, where everything was nationalized, only a few in control who did

not understand what the heck was going on. Plus that in 1982 to 1984 the Blue mold hit the

tobacco crops so hard that it was almost impossible to find good or any habanos in certain markets

at that period. To get to what we all have known in 2000 to 2002 when they made the mistake of

saying that they were going to put out more then 2 million or 3 million cigars .

So, as you can see, not much to worry about. Things will still change and ups and downs will

still occur, but, Let's be honest, guys and gals, Is that really going to stop our Passion ??

NAAAAH, you kiding ?? Lets have a cigar . :huh::P

Thanks for the write-up Piggy -- Excellent and really interesting.

As a new CC smoker it's difficult for me to be able to contribute too much... I'm just starting out. But posts like that really help me to learn and understand. Members like you, Trevor, Prez, Tampa, Smithy, Rob and a host of other knowledgeable and experienced people is what makes this a great place for new guys like me.

:wink2: Great writeup Pigfish, From my side, I agree that things are looking better,

but in my 38 years of smoking Habanos I've seen a lot of ups and downs on the market.

If you look at the history of cuban cigars, you will see that the ups and downs have never stoped,

From colonial Cuba, when the spainish controled everything and allowed no export of the leaf except

for them. To the so-called, wonderful days of the "clear Havana " , that the Americans regreat so

much only because, at the time, American companies owned 90% of all the Factories, also the fact

they were mixing the tobacco with FL. grown tobacco ( Ex: HENRY CLAY) or hand rolling "la Corona "

in Trenton N.J. To the revolution, where everything was nationalized, only a few in control who did

not understand what the heck was going on. Plus that in 1982 to 1984 the Blue mold hit the

tobacco crops so hard that it was almost impossible to find good or any habanos in certain markets

at that period. To get to what we all have known in 2000 to 2002 when they made the mistake of

saying that they were going to put out more then 2 million or 3 million cigars .

So, as you can see, not much to worry about. Things will still change and ups and downs will

still occur, but, Let's be honest, guys and gals, Is that really going to stop our Passion ??

Great reply, absolutely great!

Thanks for the write-up Piggy -- Excellent and really interesting.

As a new CC smoker it's difficult for me to be able to contribute too much... I'm just starting out. But posts like that really help me to learn and understand. Members like you, Trevor, Prez, Tampa, Smithy, Rob and a host of other knowledgeable and experienced people is what makes this a great place for new guys like me.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Perhaps in a few more years I can come back to this post and contribute more facets to your comments, but for now, I'm just enjoying my CC journey and learning more about it's splendors through people such as yourself. You may think you ramble on, but to people like myself who have only been smoking around 8 - 10 years or so and have much to learn, it's invaluable information. :huh::blush:

8 to 10 years! I am slowly coming up on my first year! I'm gonna be a newbie forever! :P:wink2::rotfl:

I find that the 07 and 08 are quite good without any age on them. That can not be said, at least by me of the earlier vintages. I had some '97 Bolivar Tubos #2 that didn't hold a candle to recent Boli PCs.

• 3 months later...
Nice post Ray.

Let me put my Vendor hat on.

I remember back in 2000/01 when I was trying to find Some HDM DC Cabs that were not dowels (needed to fill an order). Couldn't do it. Next order was a Cab of Punch SS1 .... Checked cab after cab. If I threw one of these cigars I could have impaled someone. Couldn't fill the order. HDM Des Dieux.....cab 50's....checked 8. All duds. I remember giving up for the day. There were many days like that during the period.

I haven't had a day like that for a long time. Every year since it has got better and better. Construction improved dramatically, smokeability (out of the box) improved dramatically from 2004 with 2006 being a watershed year.

I still return a couple of mastercases of stock each month (mix of cigars) but it is for issues of shipping damage, some insipid wrappers, and now occasionally construction issues...but nowhere near to the level it use to be.

When you work in this trade day to day and see thousands of boxes a year (opened) you get an idea of the improvements made. Still, there is a long way to go but there are plans by HSA to get there. With people like Jose Candia in the front line, I have faith.

Credit where credit is due :jester:

Without smoking one, how do you determine whether or not a box is a dud? Is wrapper sheen and aroma a clear indicator?

great post Piggy! As far as brands tasting similar maybe this is a mind over matter thing but when I reach for a partagas I know what to expect, a bolivar something else, and an Upmann something entirely different yet again. I havent been smoking habanos for 30 years and perhaps each brand was more unique pre 95' but for my personal tastes I guess I dont know what I am missing. If anyone wants to send me some original release 89 Esplendidos or Coro's so I can compare them to my recent stock I would be more than happy to post a comparison review :jester: