What Lighters do people use ?

I use a Z-plus insert in several Zippos and I also use a Xikar Exodus. Both do the job quite well. I used to have a Nibo and a Colibri which both gave me all kinds of problems. The Nibo got so hot once the flip lid melted at the hinges and fell off, and the Colibri had a slow leak.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love Blazers.

For an upmarket lighter I enjoy the Havana Series from Xikar. Lifetime guarantee helps.

For a table lighter the Vector 3 burner is without peer. We retired our last one this week. We estimated it lit 5000 cigars.

I second that... The Prez steered me toward the Vector 3 last summer and first off it is a kick ass lighter, secondly its a crowd pleaser with its size!

I use long matches, I always get the cigar too hot if I use a torch. I don't like the flame touching the foot either, I just heat it up very, very slowly. I know it's me, but if I light any other way, there's this harsh unpleasant taste for inches. I use the zippo insert to touch up if needed, though. Mine has a very small jet, I find it great for evening out the burn since it's easy to hit just the right spot on the wrapper without overheating anything.

• 2 weeks later...

a lighter that uses fluid (as opposed to butane) is one that will change the taste of the cigar (and not in a good way). Any normal lighter like a regular zippo is in this category.

Butane lighters are fine, don't have to be a jet lighter. Soft flame butane lighters work just fine as well (such as a bic).

-- Gary F.

What do you guys think of the lighters that can sub in as a creme brulee torch, like some of the vectors? I think they would be cool to have but those things are HOT and I wouldn't want to burn up the cigar too badly when lighting. thoughts?

What do you guys think of the lighters that can sub in as a creme brulee torch, like some of the vectors? I think they would be cool to have but those things are HOT and I wouldn't want to burn up the cigar too badly when lighting. thoughts?

I have one of those around the house and have used it to light cigars. They have a flame control so you can regulate them and it's a lot of lighter for the price.

The gas tank lasts for ages also.

Me to

they come into there own most times :)

Another huge nail in the coffin for Porsche ligthers from a new guy. I lit maybe 100 cigars with mine before it died. Absolute crap for 200 bucks.

that's too bad. they might be my favorite in terms of looks, but are out of my price range

My clear Blazer has lit hundreds of cigars without fail. If it's not handy, I just use the old Zippo that's always in my pocket (I know, I'm a savage...)

I also have two rugged old flame lighters that I found. No markings, look like WW2 age/technology, and seem to burn just about any flammable liquid without issue. Currently damned to garage/camping duty, they'll be precious when the **** hits the fan and society collapses. I'll get to keep puffing long after the triple distilled juice runs out. :)

Tried a generic Blazer, wasn't the same. Had a Vector that some employees gifted me, but literally fell apart after a small bit of use. Same happened with a second Vector, but different model.

I use a Blazer at my desk, and recently bought a Xikar Nautilus for a carry lighter that I'm quite happy with (it's actually bigger than the Blazer, though slimmer, but seems a little classier for going out-and-about).

My Blazer is about 10 years-old now, maybe 15. Never gave me one bit of a problem, and is still going strong. If anything, it's improved with age and use (going on maybe 5,000 cigars ???). I keep wondering if I should buy another one just in case they ever stop making them.

i've got a string of cheap Colibri lighters strewn around the house - most light every now and then or never. i really liked my quantum one with adjustable jet flame and cigar punch in it but maybe dropped it one time too many and despite taking it apart and fiddling with everything i can't get it to light. so i use a standard bic lighter to light the colibri one - very naff i know.

my conclusion is avoid Colibri - at least the cheap ones. might look into these Blazers everyone's going on about.

I'm very happy with my Blazer CG-001 which was recommended by an avid cigar smoker and international traveler based on quality and airport-security-stealthiness. I took his word for it and have since traveled through many US airport security checkpoints without it setting off the metal detectors. Over it's first year with me, it's construction has held up through my abuse quite well. Expect to pay about $35-45 USD

As somebody else mentioned with the Blazer 207, I have found that in very cold conditions the CG-001 seems to need to get warmed up before it can keep that flame burning.

I'm very happy with my Blazer CG-001 which was recommended by an avid cigar smoker and international traveler based on quality and airport-security-stealthiness. I took his word for it and have since traveled through many US airport security checkpoints without it setting off the metal detectors. Over it's first year with me, it's construction has held up through my abuse quite well. Expect to pay about $35-45 USD

As somebody else mentioned with the Blazer 207, I have found that in very cold conditions the CG-001 seems to need to get warmed up before it can keep that flame burning.

I can confirm that. I need to warm up my PB-207 in my hands before it will produce a steady flame when I smoke outdoors during the winter. The only downside in my opinion.

I use a torch for lighting the foot of the cigar. Simple model. Bought for $90 in Oz.

But for touching up my cigars, I prefer a normal cigarette lighter, I find it to be more accurate, whereas with the torch, I can singe the cigar too much when touching up.

I don't usually smoke outside, but if I do, and the wind is particularly strong, I've had great success using a CIGARETTE to touch up my cigar. The cigarette always stays lit, and when you need it, simply put the ember to the area of the cigar you need to touch up. I used this on a Boli Gold Medal recently and it worked like a charm!