Good luck voting Tuesday!

Wednesday sees the end of a political election period which I think has been the most remarkable I have ever witnessed. Two years of twists and turns and come Wednesday our US members will have a new President elect and the rest of the word a new political dynamic to deal with.

Your electoral system is certainly far from perfect but you have to admire a process of governmental change where not a shot is fired. You have a proud history of regardless of who wins to fall in and respect the "Presidency" if not always the "President". I doubt this time will be any different.

I am not big on moralising to others as to whom I believe they should elect. I look forward (regardless who wins) to a fresh start, a revitalization of domestic and international purpose and passion towards the challenging issues that confront the US and the globe.

So good luck Gentlemen. To whichever candidate wins...a prayer for equal parts vision, reason, compassion, competence, integrity and industry.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few questions for those in the US who are voting. I was watching BBC world news this morning while eating breakfast, and they were interviewing a few people who were pre-voting I think. It took some of these people 3-4 hours of waiting in line to be able to vote. What kind of wait times are considered normal? I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes voting in local, state, and federal elections, so it seemed strange to me that it would take that long.

» I have a few questions for those in the US who are voting. I was watching

» BBC world news this morning while eating breakfast, and they were

» interviewing a few people who were pre-voting I think. It took some of

» these people 3-4 hours of waiting in line to be able to vote. What kind of

» wait times are considered normal? I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes

» voting in local, state, and federal elections, so it seemed strange to me

» that it would take that long.

For early voting those times are normal, well, maybe a little longer this year. The reason as I understand it is that there are only a limited number of polling places open for early voting in each county. On election day, all the polling places (precincts) will be open, but the lines could still be rather long because of high turnout this year.

Thanks for the well wishes, Rob.

I'm excited to vote this time around. More than I have been the last couple of cycles. For all the rhetoric that's made the rounds, I really think some fundamental change (of a positive nature) could take place over the next few years.

Wilkey

I'm just hoping that the citizen's of the 'Land of the Brave/Home of the Free' who are voting look past all the BS that pours out of the candidate's mouths and look more at the character of the individual candidate on the ballot. Obviously not all that is spoken about during the campaigning process happens the way it's stated once a candidate is in office. But what the US really needs right now is someone who can get along and play well with the other children. All of us in this world need to work together to figure out the challenges that have risen or will arise in time. Those who go about it alone will certainly not succeed as history has proven time and time again. More citizen's need to get angry at what has happened in the last 8 years because it's certainly not acceptable! I'm off my soap box now and I too look forward to a way over due change in diplomacy and attitude in the global arena.

Peace and integrity breed prosperity.

By the way...had a Siglo4 this weekend....sweeeeeet!

» To be quite honest, I haven't felt this badly about the candidates in a

» presidential election in

» a long time. That's where I'll leave it.

Out of interest Colt...and no dissection past here....of the other candidates, who would you gravitate to? Clinton, Paul, Huck, Edwards?

Reality is that as much as the rest of the world chuckles at the US process for election, you guys manage to wade through 12 or so candidates. The rest of us do so with two.

I doubt I would vote for either of the currnet canditates for election, being a fiscal conservative, greenie, low tax, low regulation, pro market, pro safety net (health care, unemployment) junkie.

I am nervous on McCain because I don't trust anyone who can't use e-mail. I am nervous on Obama because I don't trust anyone who believes guys/girls who earn $250 K a year need to be taxed more (don't hold back a fast horse principle).

Over to you guys :-D

I have met Obama and his wife and am more excited about him than any other politician in my lifetime. He actually answers questions, admits when he doesn't know something (and attempts to find answers from other knowledgable individuals), and is passionate about his calling.

And I have never had to wait more than 15 minuted to vote before. It is more than extraordinary. It is odd.

» I am nervous on McCain because I don't trust anyone who can't use e-mail.

This is something that was put out during the campaign. I'm not sure if it was the Obama campaign or one of the independent groups who put it out, but if you notice, it went away rather quickly after it was disclosed that he cannot use a computer because of injuries he sustained during his stay at the Hanoi Hilton. It's also why he can't raise his arms above his shoulders.

» This is something that was put out during the campaign. I'm not sure if it

» was the Obama campaign or one of the independent groups who put it out, but

» if you notice, it went away rather quickly after it was disclosed that he

» cannot use a computer because of injuries he sustained during his stay at

» the Hanoi Hilton. It's also why he can't raise his arms above his

» shoulders.

Shelby it is a subject that was pretty well covered here and there are plenty of quotes from McCain about the fact he is not aufait with the use of the internet. Does that make him a worse person...no. It does however place him at the same level as my parents when it comes to computer literacy,

Now Obama may be lightning on the internet but in todays language does $250 K a year signal anyone as a high income earner? Especially given that person may employ 3-10 staff??

There are no absolutes in this contest. Questions remain on both candidates.

My grandmother, who turns 100-years-old in December, told me yesterday that she is going to vote for Obama. This is remarkable because she has voted for the Republican candidate in every election since 1948. She is also going to vote no on Proposition 8, which is an attempt to permanently ban *** marriage here in California. Fairly progressive for an old woman born and raised in the south! And, yes, her mind is quite sound even at her advanced age. :-)

Hi everyone,

As a frenchman all I can say is, may the best

man win because there will be a lot to clean up after 8 years

with Bush.

Anyway, there is one thing for sure,

We still have the hottest looking First Lady around.:love:

Cheers, and have a great vote.

I have allready vote via absentee ballot.

I for one am going to be glad it is over. I am just so sick of this political season. It seems that our election started 4 years ago.

Just annoint one of them allready and get it over with :crying:

On a more serious note, I don't really have a dog in this race. I was a Mitt Romney supporter,and am voting for John McCain without any enthusiasm.

Oh well...

Cigars will be good no matter who wins.. Berry Husein or Johny Insane :)

heh heh

» $250 K a year signal anyone as a high income earner? Especially given that

» person may employ 3-10 staff??

»

Considering that it is now down to 120 K according to the VP and other prominent dems we are in for a tough 4 years. I don't think Obama himself knows who he is going to cut taxes for.

Funny how he keeps saying he will cut taxes for 90% of Americans when only 40% of us pay taxes. I guess the other 50 percent Obama is talking about are going to get a check from the government. I guess that is all fine and dandy though if you believe in "Spreading the wealth around".

Also have you hread this gem? Here Obama promises us he will "bankrupt he coal industry" and "make energy prices sky rocket".

Just brilliant economic strategy, no?

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/11/02/obam...ices-skyrocket/

» » $250 K a year signal anyone as a high income earner? Especially given

» that

» » person may employ 3-10 staff??

» »

»

»

» Considering that it is now down to 120 K according to the VP and other

» prominent dems we are in for a tough 4 years. I don't think Obama himself

» knows who he is going to cut taxes for.

»

»

»

» Funny how he keeps saying he will cut taxes for 90% of Americans when only

» 40% of us pay taxes. I guess the other 50 percent Obama is talking about

» are going to get a check from the government. I guess that is all fine

» and dandy though if you believe in "Spreading the wealth around".

»

» Also have you hread this gem? Here Obama promises us he will "bankrupt he

» coal industry" and "make energy prices sky rocket".

» Just brilliant economic strategy, no?

»

» http://hotair.com/archives/2008/11/02/obam...ices-skyrocket/

Boris, I implore you, please don't start posting the same stuff you've been posting on the CA site over the last few weeks. This site isn't the place for purely partisan rhetoric. Respect your host.

» I doubt I would vote for either of the currnet canditates for election,

» being a fiscal conservative, greenie, low tax, low regulation, pro market,

» pro safety net (health care, unemployment) junkie.

»

» I am nervous on McCain because I don't trust anyone who can't use e-mail.

» I am nervous on Obama because I don't trust anyone who believes guys/girls

» who earn $250 K a year need to be taxed more (don't hold back a fast horse

» principle).

»

This is usually the problem we run into -- for me and many, no candidate ever represents our views completely (or even predominately), especially given the candidates come out of well-entrenched, dogmatic and partisan two-party system. What need is leaders, what we get is politicians.

Many of us hold our noses and vote for the least worst, determining which issues are the most important and work from there.

As far as taxes, the government can either cut spending or raise taxes, and cutting spending is never in the cards with so many constituencies to keep happy -- and now we also have armed conflicts going on two fronts and the financial system bailouts. I agree with Warren Buffett on the tax issue, I have no problem with a progressive tax system that hits higher earners more than lower earners, as long as its not overly onerous. While many of the over $250K earners are small business owners, this tax is on income, not revenue, so why would that hurt employees? ( I know I'm oversimplifying here, but for the sake of argument...)

Sorry for rambling. I usually avoid anything close to a political discussion on the Internet (so much noise and little signal).

-Hoops (Brian)

To : rallones

"Boris, I implore you, please don't start posting the same stuff you've been posting on the CA site over the last few weeks. This site isn't the place for purely partisan rhetoric. Respect your host."

I realize this, and I do not plan to. I posted what I posted on a thread started by the host that has everything to do with this election.

I do thank you for the caution.

Now, you can see why I can't wait for this thing to be over so we can all go back to normal... :D

» Out of interest Colt...and no dissection past here....of the other

» candidates, who would you gravitate to? Clinton, Paul, Huck, Edwards?

I was not overly enamored with any. I did feel that Mike Huckabee used a fairly common sense,

no nonsense approach, and went about his business in a quiet, straightforward way.

Perhaps he was not shiny enough.....

» » Out of interest Colt...and no dissection past here....of the other

» » candidates, who would you gravitate to? Clinton, Paul, Huck, Edwards?

»

» I was not overly enamored with any. I did feel that Mike Huckabee used a

» fairly common sense,

» no nonsense approach, and went about his business in a quiet,

» straightforward way.

» Perhaps he was not shiny enough.....

Yeah, Huck was a likable guy, although he did hurt my guys chances a lot. Like I said I was a Mitt guy and Huck split the conservative republican vote with Romney which enabled McCain to stroll up down the middle.

» » Out of interest Colt...and no dissection past here....of the other

» » candidates, who would you gravitate to? Clinton, Paul, Huck, Edwards?

»

» I was not overly enamored with any. I did feel that Mike Huckabee used a

» fairly common sense,

» no nonsense approach, and went about his business in a quiet,

» straightforward way.

» Perhaps he was not shiny enough.....

I always wondered if I was the only one to support Huckabee.....I thought he was the most straight forward common sense choice..

» No, you were not the only one! However I do enjoy his new show and think we

» may have missed the boat.

I am afraid that the MSM being wonderfully balanced in their reporting and fairness to republicans would simply paint Huck as a knuckle dragging evangelical extremist who wants institude a theocracy in America.

» » I doubt I would vote for either of the currnet canditates for election,

» » being a fiscal conservative, greenie, low tax, low regulation, pro

» market,

» » pro safety net (health care, unemployment) junkie.

» »

» » I am nervous on McCain because I don't trust anyone who can't use

» e-mail.

» » I am nervous on Obama because I don't trust anyone who believes

» guys/girls

» » who earn $250 K a year need to be taxed more (don't hold back a fast

» horse

» » principle).

» »

»

» This is usually the problem we run into -- for me and many, no candidate

» ever represents our views completely (or even predominately), especially

» given the candidates come out of well-entrenched, dogmatic and partisan

» two-party system. What need is leaders, what we get is politicians.

»

» Many of us hold our noses and vote for the least worst, determining which

» issues are the most important and work from there.

»

» As far as taxes, the government can either cut spending or raise taxes,

» and cutting spending is never in the cards with so many constituencies to

» keep happy -- and now we also have armed conflicts going on two fronts and

» the financial system bailouts. I agree with Warren Buffett on the tax

» issue, I have no problem with a progressive tax system that hits higher

» earners more than lower earners, as long as its not overly onerous. While

» many of the over $250K earners are small business owners, this tax is on

» income, not revenue, so why would that hurt employees? ( I know I'm

» oversimplifying here, but for the sake of argument...)

»

» Sorry for rambling. I usually avoid anything close to a political

» discussion on the Internet (so much noise and little signal).

»

» -Hoops (Brian)

The Simple answer - As a small business owner making over $250k, I can tell you that I will want to try to keep my standard of living the same. If because of higher taxes, I need to let someone go and do the work myself, I will.